AP upgrade help!!

california37

Mouseketeer
Hello!

We are looking to upgrade our UK 14 day tickets (£299 we paid!) to dvc gold annual passes.
Went to Disney springs today and was quoted $255 per ticket to upgrade. I thought it would be in the ball park of $170 by my maths...
Although someone posted in dec on the UK forum that they only paid $70 for the upgrade (and got the 13 month promotion to boot!)
I'm working off the current exchange rate of about 1.2 dollars to the pound

Is it likely that we ask somewhere else and get a different price quoted? Reading these boards it appears that maybe the case.
Is Epcot international gateway the best place?
Also does the system record what you've been quoted so far?

finally if we park at MK tomorrow and buy the AP upgrade there-do we get our parking refunded (we're offsite this trip!) I'm not wanting to delay getting upgraded too long as it's costing extra in parking!!

Help please!! What do you think we should pay?! Can't tell If it's my maths or not!

TIA

So just using your price and exchange rate I am calculating that your ticket would be worth $358.8 (299x1.2)
A DVC gold pass is $559 plus tax (I believe it is 6.5%) so $595.34
$595.34-$358.8=$236.54.
However if Disney is using a different exchange rate (like if the exchange rate changed since when you bought the ticket) that might explain the $255 price
How were you coming up with the $170 price? I may not be understanding correctly since we don't have that ticket option here in the US but I thought that ticket was something purchased right through disney not a ticket reseller. If so, Disney knows exactly what you paid (even if the price has gone up since your purchase) and will only credit you for what you actually paid them.

Hi!
So would asking tomorrow give a different exchange rate?
The ticket can be purchased through a second seller (who we bought from) and the price can vary. For example we actually bought them for £289 - Disney direct sell them currently for £299 (promotion running at the mo!) and some travel agents are selling them for £319! One is even selling them for £419

Will try again tomorrow and see what I get- what do they base exchange rates on? The dollar vs the pound has been faiy consistent the last few months (roughly 1.2 give or take)

Thanks again!!

1. Is it likely that we ask somewhere else and get a different price quoted? Reading these boards it appears that maybe the case.
2. Is Epcot international gateway the best place?
3. Also does the system record what you've been quoted so far?

4. finally if we park at MK tomorrow and buy the AP upgrade there-do we get our parking refunded (we're offsite this trip!)

1. Certainly could be.
2. It's not a specific "place" that will get "better or worse" service.
It is luck-of-the-draw TIMING that can be the factor.
No telling which CMs have better training at which locations, as those CMs change all the time.
3. A CM can enter a (computer) note in your file, if (s)he so chooses. But, that COULD work in your favor.
4. Yes, if you save your parking receipt.

Last edited:

How, when, and from what source did you purchase your original tickets?

Hi Robo

We bought the tickets from a UK based third seller-can't actually remember the website now... We were sent plastic gate cards to use and sign into MDE rather than just an email code.

Will try again today - getting the AP will save us money for our next trip it's just more expensive than we had budgeted for :(

we need to be quoted roughly $230 per ticket to break even on not buying the AP direct from Disney at the start. Anything more we are paying MORE for the ticket- as I've said exchange rates have been pretty consistent (for example it is currently 1.225 $ to £, high recently of 1.24 and low of 1.96 in jan and feb)
Edit-these are tourist rates of exchange NOT base rates which are generally higher. Just worked out he quote yesterday works out as an exchange rate of 1.14!)

Next year will be interesting as a lot of places are selling the 14 day ticket for £419 (the tickets are only valid for the one year!) so it will be even more expensive for our family of 5!!!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Last edited:
We bought the tickets from a UK based third seller...
Will try again today...
we need to be quoted roughly $230 per ticket to break even on not buying the AP direct from Disney at the start....
exchange rate...currently 1.225 $ to £
Just worked out he quote yesterday works out as an exchange rate of 1.14!

IF Disney will price-bridge your ticket (third-party tickets should fit the requirement...)

Basic rule of ticket upgrades:

Subtract the (current new) price of the ticket that you HAVE** from the (new current gate price) cost of the ticket that you WANT.
Pay the difference (plus tax) for the upgraded ticket.

**Factor the exchange rate, as best you can.
I don't know if the Guest Relations CM can quote you the exchange rate they are using, but certainly ask.

Hi all- help still required :(

We'd called by guest relations in MK today (just got back) and was quoted the same price as we had in the springs yesterday -$255 for the upgrade...
The man who we dealt with said the price was 'locked in' and therefore whenever we ask on our vacation it would be the same. Does this sound right? He explained it is how much the ticket is worth based on whAt we paid to start. (Therefore no bridging I guess?) he couldn't tell me how much we paid (in pounds) but he said it was based on the exchange rate at the time rather than today but then couldn't tell me what exchange rate was (as before I worked it out at 1.14 which was less than actual tourist exchange!) so he said the ticket 'value' is $340 (but that is under by about $25)

Basically we thought our tickets would be worth more than $340 which we are quoted. I'm not looking to 'swindle' Disney from money - we just don't want to pay more than the AP price we could have got in the first place!!!

Any suggestions?

The problem in this case is that I have no idea if Disney normally will price-bridge a UK ticket or not.
Maybe someone with experience with the UK tickets can weigh in.

Hi!
Just wanted to finish this thread by saying we've upgraded at the international gateway tonight with a very helpful and wonderful cast member who sorted us an upgrade which was significantly less than previously quoted :)

Happy days!!! Now I can have more spending money to give to Disney in other ways!!!!

Thanks for the replies and help!!

Fwiw, the IG is where we upgraded to APs, and the process was smooth and easy. Place doesn't or shouldn't matter but, I've heard a number of people say that they've had a good experience upgrading there. For whatever, if anything, that's worth.

I am planning on upgrading when I am at Disney in 2 weeks as well - I currently hold an 8 day one park ticket, and want to upgrade to an AP. The situation that I have is this and I hope that they will be able to do what I would like. I travel with my job as a chaperone, and of course personally as well. This particular trip (in March) is a work trip, where I am chaperoning and I am the trip planner. Because I do this annually, and also travel annually with my family, I have 2 MDE accounts, one associated with my work e-mail and one with my personal. My current Ticket is associated with my WORK e-mail, but I would like to upgrade to an AP but have the pass be connected to my PERSONAL MDE account. Can I do this? Anyone know for sure? I mean, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, I am me at both e-mail addresses, but I have kept them separate intentionally because each year we bring different students so there are oodles of names connected as family/friends on my work account and just my immediate family on the personal one.

I currently hold an 8 day one park ticket, and want to upgrade to an AP...
I have 2 MDE accounts...
My current Ticket is associated with my WORK e-mail, but I would like to upgrade to an AP but have the pass be connected to my PERSONAL MDE account.

Can I do this?

You can freely transfer any UN-used ticket between guests who have MDE accounts.
So, if your 8-day base ticket is in the "wrong" account,
you can transfer it over to the "right" account before you do the AP upgrade.

I am planning on upgrading when I am at Disney in 2 weeks as well - I currently hold an 8 day one park ticket, and want to upgrade to an AP. The situation that I have is this and I hope that they will be able to do what I would like. I travel with my job as a chaperone, and of course personally as well. This particular trip (in March) is a work trip, where I am chaperoning and I am the trip planner. Because I do this annually, and also travel annually with my family, I have 2 MDE accounts, one associated with my work e-mail and one with my personal. My current Ticket is associated with my WORK e-mail, but I would like to upgrade to an AP but have the pass be connected to my PERSONAL MDE account. Can I do this? Anyone know for sure? I mean, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, I am me at both e-mail addresses, but I have kept them separate intentionally because each year we bring different students so there are oodles of names connected as family/friends on my work account and just my immediate family on the personal one.
Link your accounts and transfer your ticket.

You can freely transfer any UN-used ticket between guests who have MDE accounts.
So, if your 8-day base ticket is in the "wrong" account,
you can transfer it over to the "right" account
before you do the AP upgrade.

Great, thanks! Will I have to do this before I actually enter a park then? Meaning, does the ticket become "used" once "work" me enters the park?

Great, thanks! Will I have to do this before I actually enter a park then? Meaning, does the ticket become "used" once "work" me enters the park?

Yup.
You can do the ticket transfer right now, if you like.

Good to know...but what about the FP+'s associated on the "work" me. . . oh boy....am I opening a can of worms?!?!

You'll have to decide what's more important.
Keeping any booked FP in your "first" account vs putting the AP in your "other" account.

Last edited:
Hahaha.....that made me laugh! I guess I should call my buddy Mickey today and have a chat with my favorite little guy!!

Also FP do not instantaneously disappear (it takes a day or so after the ticket is removed from the profile). So after you transfer the ticket you could reassign the FP to the other "you" in MDE.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter