AP renewal

lisam70

Mouseketeer
just wanted to verify renewal expiration date does it always stay the same ie mine expires end of the month but what if I don’t go again til next year does it change to the new activation date? I’m assuming not but wanted to check.

If you don’t renew, you can buy a new AP next year
and that one will be valid for the entire year from first day used to enter the parks next year

Reactions: AJA
If you don’t renew, you can buy a new AP next year
and that one will be valid for the entire year from first day used to enter the parks next year
Thank you that’s what I thought. Is there more of a discount to renew versus buying new ?

Not sure if others have received emails when they don’t renew but i usually get a few emails 30 days out from my renewal time

Most times I renew but wait two weeks before I do so.
A few times in the past, have received an offer that is a small number off to renew.

I do find it to get a better deal for renewal
Not a huge amount but a small amount

This all can change at any time
Never know if the AP will increase each year
Usually it does…

Not sure if others have received emails when they don’t renew but i usually get a few emails 30 days out from my renewal time

A few times in the past, have received an offer that is a small number off to renew.

Usually it does…
I’m sure it will increase. I’m thinking ahead to 2025 if current AP will have advantage when new park opens.

Usually it does…
When renewing an annual pass, does that renewal start on the first day its used, or when your original pass expires? I've never renewed before lol

When renewing an annual pass, does that renewal start on the first day its used, or when your original pass expires? I've never renewed before lol

Your original expiration date applies (just one year later) some years we renew our passes and some years we let them expire and buy new.

As an example if our passes expire in May and I know we aren’t going again until October I will let them expire and purchase new in October so I have a full year October-October. If I renew in May then the passes would expire the next May (not when used for the first time).

Your original expiration date applies (just one year later) some years we renew our passes and some years we let them expire and buy new.

As an example if our passes expire in May and I know we aren’t going again until October I will let them expire and purchase new in October so I have a full year October-October. If I renew in May then the passes would expire the next May (not when used for the first time).
That was exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks!

This is from an email I got:

"If you decide that you want to renew the pass and receive the 20% renewal discount, you will need to renew by calling the number listed below or by visiting Guest Services within 30 days of expiration date."

I believe you can also do online

This is not going to happen. Prices at Disney are not going down, and they don't want more APs.

If you want to renew, there is no reason to wait. They can raise prices or even yank them altogether.

Can someone please confirm my understanding of AP renewals.
If my AP expires Oct 7, I assume…
…we can enter the parks on Oct 7?
…we can renew at a 20% discount on Oct 8? (Day after expiration)? If so, would expiration be October 7 2023 or October 8 2023?
…we can renew to a different pass (for example, go from 2-park pass to a 3-park pass), but we cannot do this online, it has to be done at guest services?
…if the pass is valid upon check-in, but not at check-out, is that all that is needed for APH rate or do I need to return after I’ve renewed?

Thank you!

No matter when you renew in the 30 day period before and after your expiration day, October 7, 2022, your expiration day stays as the date in which your pass year starts again. So if you pay in the discount within the discount periods, your pass will end on October 7, 2023, even if you renew on October 8, 2022. But you won’t be able to use your pass on October 8, until you renew.

A yes, you can get into the park on the day your pass expires. My kid did that. Entered the parks on her expiring day. We renewed, by phone call, the night of her pass expiring day, as otherwise she could not enter the next day after her pass expired, as we had wanted to go that next day.

Me, I forgot to pay before mine expired, which I usually do, but 20 days larger it had expired, I was glad I remembered and renewed and got that renewal discount, and did an upgrade of my pass. And even though I didn’t go to the parks until months later, my pass had already had upgrade benefits that started from the day after my pass had expired, and will expire on the day my pass had expired the year after.

I’m not sure about the hotel AP discount, you use when during your stay, your pass expires, what happens. You are expected to have one when you check in. While I’ve never been asked, you should have a pass the entire stay, as if during your stay they ask to see your pass, if you don’t have it, you may be paying rack rates. But anyone can book an AP rate before they get an AP. Like any discount you get by having a card/pass, you are expected to have that card/pass when getting the item or service you got that discount on. I personally have never been asked to see my valid pass when staying at the Universal hotels with a AP discounted rate. But I have always had a valid pass when I checked in, and my pass was valid all during those stays. I would feel very very nervous if I used a discount knowing it was for a group/ business that I was not a member of during my stay.

And upgrading. This was the first year I upgraded, but for all the years I’ve had my pass, I have always just renewed by calling the AP line. You can renew at guest services in and outside the parks. I personally think the outside guest services are better at changes to your AP than inside the park. And you can always renew on Universal’s website. Choice is yours how to renew.

Hope this helps.

No matter when you renew in the 30 day period before and after your expiration day, October 7, 2022, your expiration day stays as the date in which your pass year starts again. So if you pay in the discount within the discount periods, your pass will end on October 7, 2023, even if you renew on October 8, 2022. But you won’t be able to use your pass on October 8, until you renew.

A yes, you can get into the park on the day your pass expires. My kid did that. Entered the parks on her expiring day. We renewed, by phone call, the night of her pass expiring day, as otherwise she could not enter the next day after her pass expired, as we had wanted to go that next day.

Me, I forgot to pay before mine expired, which I usually do, but 20 days larger it had expired, I was glad I remembered and renewed and got that renewal discount, and did an upgrade of my pass. And even though I didn’t go to the parks until months later, my pass had already had upgrade benefits that started from the day after my pass had expired, and will expire on the day my pass had expired the year after.

I’m not sure about the hotel AP discount, you use when during your stay, your pass expires, what happens. You are expected to have one when you check in. While I’ve never been asked, you should have a pass the entire stay, as if during your stay they ask to see your pass, if you don’t have it, you may be paying rack rates. But anyone can book an AP rate before they get an AP. Like any discount you get by having a card/pass, you are expected to have that card/pass when getting the item or service you got that discount on. I personally have never been asked to see my valid pass when staying at the Universal hotels with a AP discounted rate. But I have always had a valid pass when I checked in, and my pass was valid all during those stays. I would feel very very nervous if I used a discount knowing it was for a group/ business that I was not a member of during my stay.

And upgrading. This was the first year I upgraded, but for all the years I’ve had my pass, I have always just renewed by calling the AP line. You can renew at guest services in and outside the parks. I personally think the outside guest services are better at changes to your AP than inside the park. And you can always renew on Universal’s website. Choice is yours how to renew.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time to respond! We’re planning on going to the parks the 2 days following expiration, so we definitely want to renew and it’s only a few dollars more than just buying tickets. I am going to renew by calling! That way I make sure I get the 20% renewal discount with an upgraded pass, I and won’t have to spend time during the vacation doing any of the logistics. I’m so glad I don’t have to do it in person at GS. That will also cover the check-out date when I check-in. I’ve been asked before for my AP, so they do ask for it (maybe not consistently, but they do ask).

Thank you for taking the time to respond! We’re planning on going to the parks the 2 days following expiration, so we definitely want to renew and it’s only a few dollars more than just buying tickets. I am going to renew by calling! That way I make sure I get the 20% renewal discount with an upgraded pass, I and won’t have to spend time during the vacation doing any of the logistics. I’m so glad I don’t have to do it in person at GS. That will also cover the check-out date when I check-in. I’ve been asked before for my AP, so they do ask for it (maybe not consistently, but they do ask).
I have also successfully renewed our family’s passes over the phone recently and it was easy peasy.

We’ve been taking (mostly) mini trips once per month for the past year. We showed them our pass for the hotel AP discount when checking in during our first stay (and possibly the second?) a year ago however they never have asked since. I always have it ready just in case but they tell me that I’m in their system and they have access to see the details of my AP. I guess that explains why they don’t always ask to see your pass after the first visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!