AP Only Info Thread Reservation System /Extensions / Refunds

Here is my hot take that has absolutely no proof behind it. Disney has lost a ton of money on the parks over the past few months, and will continue to lose a ton for FY2020 even with a mild reopening of some kind. I think that they will be very generous in whatever they decide with APs because frankly they are already losing so much the little extra they may lose on the APs is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Disney also knows that AP holders are loyal and they will need traffic in late 2020 and early 2021 as they open up park capacity. Demand will not be there for a while and international visitors most likely won't be coming back till Q2 2021 or so. They will need the "Disney fanatics" to show up to fill the restaurants etc. I just don't think that it will be worth it to Disney to fight over a few months extra extensions of APs when they have bigger issues to deal with.

Here is my hot take that has absolutely no proof behind it. Disney has lost a ton of money on the parks over the past few months, and will continue to lose a ton for FY2020 even with a mild reopening of some kind. I think that they will be very generous in whatever they decide with APs because frankly they are already losing so much the little extra they may lose on the APs is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Disney also knows that AP holders are loyal and they will need traffic in late 2020 and early 2021 as they open up park capacity. Demand will not be there for a while and international visitors most likely won't be coming back till Q2 2021 or so. They will need the "Disney fanatics" to show up to fill the restaurants etc. I just don't think that it will be worth it to Disney to fight over a few months extra extensions of APs when they have bigger issues to deal with.
I honestly hope this is the case. For the past 10 years our AP benefits and perks have gone down drastically, while still being charged the same and more. We used to have very cool AP only events that have disappeared, replaced by the magnets

All they need to do is announce that APs wont actually restart on July 11th, and rather restart once the reservation system is done (method a la Shanghai).

I honestly hope this is the case. For the past 10 years our AP benefits and perks have gone down drastically, while still being charged the same and more. We used to have very cool AP only events that have disappeared, replaced by the magnets
True AP cost have gone up and some of the benefits have gone down. The counter to that is over those 10 years demand for the parks has steadily increased even as prices have jumped. This upcoming period will be the first in a long time that Disney will see legit demand drop (at least till 2021 I would think) since there will be a significant segment of the population who will not fell comfortable in the masses of people that Disney brings for a long time. Disney will need people to come to the parks and I would think many of the AP passholders have such strong feelings about going to Disney (hence the $1000s invested in APs) that they may be more willing to take a "risk" and go to the parks, or live with the mask etc.

You can kinda of see with Universal how demand is going to be for a while. The parks are empty and they are not getting close to their 25% capacity. Demand will return of course, but it will be a slowish build and Disney will need AP holders, DVC members etc to help keep the parks somewhat full until that "casual" demand returns.

Last edited:
All they need to do is announce that APs wont actually restart on July 11th, and rather restart once the reservation system is done (method a la Shanghai).
But what if you have an AP and want to go in July? I would assume the holder would have the option to do so.

True AP cost have gone up and some of the benefits have gone down. The counter to that is over those 10 years demand for the parks has steadily increased even as prices have jumped. This upcoming period will be the first in a long time that Disney will see legit demand drop (at least till 2021 I would think) since there will be a significant segment of the population who will not fell comfortable in the masses of people that Disney brings for a long time. Disney will need people to come to the parks and I would think many of the AP passholders have such strong feelings about going to Disney (hence the $1000s invested in APs) that they may be more willing to tka e a "rick" and go to the parks, or live with the mask etc.

You can kinda of see with Universal how demand is going to be for a while. The parks are empty and they are not getting close to their 25% capacity. Demand will return of course, but it will be a slowish build and Disney will need AP holders, DVC members etc to help keep the parks somewhat full until that "casual" demand returns.
exactly, Disney has been treating passholders, especially local passholders, like the bottom of the barrel, while increasing love for first timers-once in a lifetimer trips where they spend a lot.
I get it, I always say Disney looses money with me, I don´t shop, rarely eat at the parks and when I do I usually do quick service and kids meals, and I visit 3 times a week. But now they are going to need all of us locals to create demand and excitement again

Last edited:
But what if you have an AP and want to go in July? I would assume the holder would have the option to do so.
Shanghai passholders can still make park reservations during the reservation system. They’re pretty much getting free days in their pass.

I just called the passholder line and was told that all passes extended until December 15, or you can get your percentage refund if you can't make it before then.

Not real sure what this means. Are you saying the clock isn't starting again til December 15?

I have been thinking a lot about this exactly, but wasn't sure how to word it in an email.

But yes. Exactly this. What do they have to lose to extend all APs to come to the parks and spend money at a time where the rest of the country and world may not.

I'm on the monthly payment plan and told my bank to not let Disney take my payments out of my account due to the fact that they are charging me for things that I cannot use ( such as park hopping, guaranteed admission without having to make a reservation)
This seems premature to me. I think I would have waited to see what Disney's final decision about days missed on the pass is going to be and whether during the reservation system time is counted and stuff like that.

I also expect that the language in your contract favors Disney in cases like this and I expect you are in violation of your contract. I understand your frustration but I think I would have waited until official word came out.

I just called. For those of us paid in full, the default is that they will extend the APs (which is what I need for my family). I asked about timing because we are arriving in 36 days and our APs expired during the closings. They don't have a timeline for when the extensions will get done.

I just called. For those of us paid in full, the default is that they will extend the APs (which is what I need for my family). I asked about timing because we are arriving in 36 days and our APs expired during the closings. They don't have a timeline for when the extensions will get done.
Ugh. I have very little faith that this is going to work out for those of us with July reservations and expired APs to make park reservations.

Ugh. I have very little faith that this is going to work out for those of us with July reservations and expired APs to make park reservations.
That's definitely the vibe I'm getting.

I really wish they would provide some information on the reservation system. I have package tickets in my reservation that I would like to drop once 1) the AP is extended and 2) the resort modifications are unfrozen. How will the reservations be tied to you? Is it like FPs that you can make them with tickets and if you get an AP you can drop off your tickets and your FPs remain as long as you have the AP? Could I make it with the tickets in my package and once the AP is extended, drop the package tickets? So little info...

That's definitely the vibe I'm getting.

I really wish they would provide some information on the reservation system. I have package tickets in my reservation that I would like to drop once 1) the AP is extended and 2) the resort modifications are unfrozen. How will the reservations be tied to you? Is it like FPs that you can make them with tickets and if you get an AP you can drop off your tickets and your FPs remain as long as you have the AP? Could I make it with the tickets in my package and once the AP is extended, drop the package tickets? So little info...
I hear you, trip twin! I have tickets associated with my package too, but they're only 2-day tickets. My reservation is for 7 nights, so even if the tickets allow me to make reservations because they've not updated the APs, that's still only 2 days. And I'd like to drop the tickets also -- but I'm not encouraged they'll allow that. Honestly, this is all really stressing me out and not in the good "planning a Disney Vacation" type of way. You can't even get a straight answer about when payment is due.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter