• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ANZACs in November/December 2013... register here!

Fran, I had a wake up moment a few years ago which made me decide that these trips were really important. My DH and I worked hard pre-kids to really smash our mortgage. When the kids came along we were still pretty much in the same mindset and saving for our big trip in 2015. Then I realized how magic toddlerhood is and started imagining how my kids would react to different things in Disneyland. We decided we couldn't wait, so off we went to Japan. It was so fun (of course!) and some of those memories are burnt into my memory so strongly. The kids still talk about it and DH and I are always saying things like "imagine DS3 when he sees Mickey...". Our 2015 savings are still going strong, but now we have added Disneyland next year as well. The mortgage isn't decreasing as much, but it's just a house. We aren't going to have any lasting memories of reaching $200k on our mortgage, but our Mickey memories aren't going anywhere :)

::yes:: I kind of had a wake up moment too when a new Dr I had intimated to me a couple of years ago that I quite likely had cancer and literally told me she hoped I'd be ok... With hindsight, I now know she was a panicky sort of Dr (very nice, but way OTT with everything, she'd happily call you back into her office three times in a week over something very minor) but it was my second ever visit to her and I didn't have that background so I spent a weekend thinking life was possibly about to change in a big way. Even though I turned out to be in full health, it hit home to me how quickly things *can* change, and that was when we decided to do our September trip last year. I had originally thought the kids were too young, in that they wouldn't remember - but they do remember, and like you I have all those precious memories of seeing Disney through their eyes at that lovely age where they still quite literally believe. :love:

My dad busted his backside all of our childhoods to work hard and save up for retirement, buy a business, get ahead on the mortgage etc. As a result, we rarely went on holidays with or without him. Then, in his early 50s he was diagnosed with alzheimers. Everything he worked hard for to have to retire on has gone. He's now 63 and has no idea about anyone or anything. He was my wake-up call. DH and I have decided that the mortgage is of lesser importance than spending time together as a family making memories. If we're 50 or 60 and still paying off the mortgage we don't really care anymore. After all, it's only money.

Oh, forgot to add that I booked Kingstown Reef in Orlando with our Worldmark points today. I'm still on the waitlist for Bonnet Creek and DVC places though.

We have a similar mindset. It's the memories made together that are important, not the 'stuff' we accumulate. We booked a DCL cruise last week for Dec 29-Jan 2 2014 so will definitely be in Orlando next year! We plan to follow the cruise with 3 weeks at Bonnet Creek.

As I have already booked our accommodation I thought it may be a good idea to tell my boss I was going to need a month off. Although I have only been there just over 6 months I didn't think it would be a problem as I get 6 weeks leave per year and I would accrued over 10 weeks by that stage.

Well I was wrong, after I picked her up off the ground she tried telling me they usually don't like people having that much time off. My heart started to sink. :confused3:confused3:confused3

Anyway I managed to convince her that it would be my quiet time in between board meetings and audits so after much negotiating she gave me the OK. Phew!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Not sure what I would have done if she said no.

What I am loving most about having next year to look forward to is that it is somehow making this Christmas feel more special, it's very exciting knowing that next Christmas will be a white one! (Well, not on Christmas day as that will be in CA, but we'll see some snow beforehand I assume!)

What a stress, DizOz, I'm glad it worked out. I can't believe that there would be a problem when you are being good enough to give a year's notice! And it's not like you're asking for six months off or something. Don't employers realise, we work to live, we don't live to work?

Franrose

Our 2 DD girls are already talking about the possibility of it snowing whilst we are in NY. Neither of them has seen snow so it would be great to see a little whilst we are there. Also they are looking forward to ice skating in Central Park.

As for employers unfortunately we some its a one way street and usually you don't find that out until you start. Good news could be on the horizon as I was called yesterday by a head-hunter to gauge my interest in another position closer to home with more pay and less hours.

Either way Disney here we come next year. For me I am getting excited as next week we tick over the 1 year to go.:cool1::cool1::cool1:

I'm so excited for all of you people heading over in December next year. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get to see snow.

I've always dreamed of a white Christmas and last year my wish finally came true! It is the best thing although I don't think I could live anywhere that has snow all of the time. But it was so much fun seeing the kids out in the snow in the morning making snowballs and snowmen. The best Christmas ever. And we get to do it all again next year :thumbsup2

I'm with you Marlea. Great to visit and see but would hate to live somewhere with snow all the time. Prefer the sun :beach:

On this day next year we are supposed to be checking into Kingstown Reef :cool1: That all depends on flights, though. We could be leaving a day or two earlier.

A year to go! :cool1::thumbsup2:rotfl2::rotfl::lovestruc:love::wizard::hippie::banana::laughing::cloud9::woohoo::hug::yay::dance3::cool2::cheer2:

Less than a year now til we sail from Barcelona to Florida & arrive for 10 days on December 9th 2013

Likely to stay 6 nights at BCV / BLT & remaining 4 nights on Universal property.
Can't wait & excited as. We did Hong Kong Disney in 2011 & looking forward to the world !

Less than a year now til we sail from Barcelona to Florida & arrive for 10 days on December 9th 2013

Likely to stay 6 nights at BCV / BLT & remaining 4 nights on Universal property.
Can't wait & excited as. We did Hong Kong Disney in 2011 & looking forward to the world !

Welcome to the Dis!

Looks like a nice trip.

Welcome to the dis!
Who are you sailing to Florida with?

It's a 14 night trip sailing through Spain / Portugal & arrives in Fort Lauderdale on Dec 9th 2013.
We will need to organise our way from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando
Any tips on best way to get to Orlando ? I'm thinking flying ( to save more time for Disney ) , but wife is thinking a bus etc

It's a 14 night trip sailing through Spain / Portugal & arrives in Fort Lauderdale on Dec 9th 2013.
We will need to organise our way from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando
Any tips on best way to get to Orlando ? I'm thinking flying ( to save more time for Disney ) , but wife is thinking a bus etc

Hi Dean,

I have had to go to Fort Lauderdale a few times on business whilst in Orlando. I found the best way was to drive. We hired a car with GPS system and it was easy, once you get on the freeway its pretty much a straight run down. By the time you get to the airport, check-in, go through security, wait for your flight, the flight itself (Most of the time would be taking off and landing), getting off the flight, getting your bags and travel to WDW. You would have already been checked in if you drove.:banana::banana::banana:

Thanks for the info - it makes sense

Driving on the other side of the road scares the life out of me however :)

Lots of exciting trips planned here. It will be amazing how quickly the next year will fly and pretty soon you will all be off on your adventures. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter