Anyone with asthma?

TO SANDYGIRL....
You could try to use what is called a SPACER for the inhalers. It takes away the frustration of having to coordinate pressing & deep breath in at the same time.Your Dr. should be able to give you a Rx for one...well worth it to insure your child gets all the medication.

Originally posted by sweetpea3470
TO SANDYGIRL....
You could try to use what is called a SPACER for the inhalers. It takes away the frustration of having to coordinate pressing & deep breath in at the same time.Your Dr. should be able to give you a Rx for one...well worth it to insure your child gets all the medication.
We don't press and breathe at the same time. Her inhaler activates when she takes a sharp breath in, something clicks and releases the med. She doesn't like the feeling when it hits the back of her throat. I'm embarressed to say that it makes me nervous not knowing if she actually got any of the meds into her.

DD's nebulizer had to be prescribed by her DR and was not covered by insurance.

I have asthma and chronic bronchitis (it never really goes away). Didn't have any problem on the first cruise (Eastern 7 day)whatsoever. Second cruise (Western 7 day) only problem I had was that I got a full blown case of bronchitis and ended up in the infirmery and on steroids just to be able to breathe. It wasn't due to the weather, must have caught it on the plane. I really don't think you'll have a problem at all. The humidity was quite low (at least compared to where I live).

I have to tell you about my kids. Before we went on our cruise this past March both of my children were not doing too well. My then 12 year old son had a cough so bad he couldn't sleep at night and we were told he had stress or excersize induced asthma. He had been extremely healthy up until then but never really seemed to have alot of energy. My daughter had all sorts of problems. Her doctor thought she had a weak immune system and allergies. This poor kid was getting allergy shots that were supposed to help her, every week. She was also taking Benadryl which was the only allergy medicine that seemed to help but it drastically altered her personality and she wasn't doing well in school because of it.
We tried everything: buying an air purifyier, throwing out her stuffed animals, redecorating her room so there was little fabric. And we have put in new flooring. But none of that seemed to help her. I was at my wits' end. My children had more medication than I did. It made no sense to me. So out of my desperation I went to the library and the book store. As I was looking for something about antioxidants I found a book titled "You're not sick, you're thirsty" by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj.
He says that most of us are chronically dehydrated and that by drinking water and adding salt (A naturaly antihistamine, according to the doctor) to our diet, we can actually lessen if not eliminate the symptoms of Asthma and Allergies.
Of course, I thought "this sounds way too good to be true." If it was true why doesn't everyone know this. But, I also figured, "What have I got to lose?" I went home and told my family that we were going to try it and you should have seen their faces. Well, to make a long story short. Since before the cruise my daughter has had no more shots, which she is thrilled about. She has not had any medication either and finished her school year with a glowing report card. She can even be around my parents' dog and has no symptoms! My son has no more cough and much more energy and his acne has cleared up considerably.
I too started on the salt and water in order to set an example for the kids and realized that I too was chronically dehydrated. When we got on the ship I thought I would go through the dramamine. I can't even be a passenger in a car because of the motion sickness, but it was the most enjoyable vacation I have ever had. I only had to take the dramamine the first night! This is because I still drank a cup of coffe in the morning which dehydrates you. It was amazing. I had several other health complaints which have pretty much gone away. I highly recommend reading this book to anyone.
I'm sorry if I have gone on too long but I couldn't help myself as our quality of life has improved immensely.

Anything that helps has to be GREAT news! We, too, have a son who had very serious chest/asthma problems until he was 14yrs old. Humidity helped him! Unfortunately, our NHS prescriptions didnt cover trips to Florida - where he was SO much better in the humid conditions. In Florida, he was only really bad when in A/C rooms.Have never heard of drinking more, and salt, but hey - anything is worth a try! Nat:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter