Anyone use cloth diapers?

ah1126

DIS Veteran
We are expecting and I have been gathering information on cloth diapers. Does anyone use them? What brands? I am looking for any info! Thanks!!

www.diaperswappers.com should be a good source to find info on cloth diapering. My DD has cloth diapered her youngest. Clother diapering is much dif than it used to be that's for sure. A lot more expensive too yeah cloth keeps disposable out of landfills but what about all the water that is used an soap to wash?

If you can sew the slightest bit or know anyone who would be willing to make your cloth diapers that would be the way to go.

Yup, diaperswappers.com is a great place :)
Also www.hyenacart.com has a forum section, and stores as well. The stores are run by work at home moms, and most actually make the items they sell :) Its like an online mall, I love it. lol.

I'm actually a retailer of Monkey Doodlez diapers if your interested in that brand at all ;)
And I have a store on hyenacart too where I make and sell diapers, and knit covers.

Have you checked out gDiapers? http://gdiapers.com I haven't used them myself, but I have friends who do and like them.

They are like a cross between disposable and cloth (the disposable part is just a liner and is flushable and compostable.

I am also a retailer of cloth diapers. I carry bumGenius, Fuzzi Bunz, Happy Heiny's, Thirsties, and more.
PM me for more info.

Have you checked out gDiapers? http://gdiapers.com I haven't used them myself, but I have friends who do and like them.

They are like a cross between disposable and cloth (the disposable part is just a liner and is flushable and compostable.

The problem with g-diapers (I looked into them) is that the disposable portion of the diaper ends up costing almost as much as, if not the same as, buying a package of name branded disposable diapers.

I am thinking of doing cloth at home and disposables when we go out. . . . but we'll see. I am trying to get my hands on affordable bum-genius - I like the idea of an all-in-one, not to do a cloth and then a knit or rubber pants above.

You can buy seconds and save lots of money.

My favorite are Sandy's by Mother-Ease and their wraps. Do not dry the covers to make them last longer. You can also resell them when done.

http://www.mother-ease.com/

this was my favorite forum but it looks completely different now...
http://outline.ivillage.com/n/mb/ou...iapers&popup=true&gfc=1&fid=256&tid=0&fpid=-1

when they're newborns, the easiest system is a prefold in a velcro wrap. So easy and cheap!

Rikki wraps by Mother-ease are good my FAVE were Bummis Super Whisper Wraps that I bought seconds...they're great. Lay diaper lengthwise on top of wrap fold each side in to middle lay baby on diaper, pull front in between legs and pull straps of cover th velcro..easy.

Here' are super whisper wraps...

http://www.bummis.com/en/Products/covers/SuperWhisperWrap.html

You can save lots of money buying seconds or buy slightly used from people who quit or finish, etc. There's a great resell market too when you're done. I sold all mine off and did quite well.

All in ones are great for when you're out and about but if you use them a lot, you'll run into the trouble of the cover no longer being leak proof from getting put in the dryer or else having stiff diapers if you air dry. There are fleece AIOs but I've never been a huge fan unless just for hanging out at home.

If I can find where I bought the seconds, I'll post.

Congrats and good luck.

Trish

I used cloth diapers with both of my boys. I used them for first 3-4 months because my boys were born in the winter and we didn't leave the house a whole bunch. Once we were more active I used them when we were home and disposable when we were out. I found it gross to carry the used diapers around when we were out.

I received diaper service for a shower gift (after they checked to see if I was interested first) and I LOVED it. You do NOTHING with the diapers. You use them and then put them in a bag. No rinsing, no emptying, no nothing. They will pick them up, drop new ones off. Easy as can be.

I don't know if I had the time or desire to use, rinse, deoderize, wash and fold my own:confused3

Forgot to add the prefolds are fabulous to keep for cleaning cloths. They work GREAT!!

I sold all but one dozen and use them to this day for cleaning windows, etc.

The unbleached prefolds are sooo soft for baby too.

Trish

Here's a c/p of a previous post I wrote about this topic. Just a little update. We are no longer using cloth for daycare, but otherwise still using cloth. The wonderful thing about it is the resale value is pretty good.

We use Bum Genius pocket diapers for daycare and outings. They are wonderful. We used disposables for about 8 weeks in the beginning and we had more blow outs with them in 8 weeks than in 1 year in cloth.

I breastfed, so in the beginning solids are not solid at all, but water soluable. You can buy a diaper sprayer and hook it up to the toilet, I used the shower sprayer and a bucket in the beginning. You can also just throw them in the washer if you breast feed because it is water soluable.

Once it is more solid, you can shake in the toilet or pull off with a big wad of toilet paper.

I think they are cheaper in the long run. In the beginning, we were going through $40 worth of disposables per week. You can get 3 bum genius for that price and use them from 8-35lbs. It's quite a deal.

We used prefolds and covers in the beginning too and that is what I would suggest. Newborns pee so often, it would be really expensive to buy all those pocket diapers. little-lions.com has them on sale for like $16 a dozen so for $32 you could have 24 diapers and that would get you through 2 days. They cost more when we bought ours, but they are indestructible. If you decide to use prefolds, make sure you buy diaper service quality. The Infant size will last you a long time. This means NO GERBER. They are polyester filled and don't have layers of cotton so they aren't as absorbant at all and don't get quilty after washing. For covers, we like the bummis super whisper wraps. My suggestion would be to use prefolds in the beginning with bum genius for outings or overnight (although you'll be up anyway, so might as well change em).

As far as wash routine goes, I have a small apartment sized washer and it's not that great. I do a cold wash with some squirts of Bac-Out (gets rid of bacteria and stink). Then I do a hot wash with cold rinse using All Free and Clear (about 1/4 of the recommended amount). You want to use less detergent because diapers absorb so much that they can get buildup from the soap and then get stinky. Clean diapers smell like nothing. Also, with detergents you want to look for one that doesn't have additives in it, like brighteners, whiteners, etc. Cheap basic detergent does the job. I like All Free and Clear because it doesn't have scents and then I know the diapers are clean, not just fragranced.

For drying, I throw everything in the dryer except the shells of the bum genius diapers. They are made of PUL which eventually will break down with the heat in the dryer. I throw them in the dryer about once a month to reseal the PUL (which keeps them waterproof).

For a pail routine, I use a dry pail (13 gallon kitchen trash can with lid) with a WAHMies pail liner. It's washable, so I throw it in with the diapers.

Here's some links to sites I've purchased from and used for cloth diapering research:
www.diaperswappers.com
www.clothdiapernation.com
www.cottonbabies.com (the maker of bum genius and they have a sale going on right now)
www.momsmilkboutique.com (free shipping on any purchase, I have bought covers, snappis, pins and diapers from here)
www.greenmountaindiapers.com (I haven't purchased from here, but the prefolds page shows how different prefolds fit different sized babies)
www.little-lions.com (this is where I made my first purchase and bought prefolds, a snappi and some covers)

The thing I love about cloth diapering is that most of the businesses I buy from are run by stay at home moms. I'm not a stay at home mom, but I love that I can help them to be able to stay at home. Also, a lot of cloth diapers (with the exception of indian and chinese prefolds and bum genius sold at target) are made in the USA.

If you have any other questions or want more info, drop me a PM.

ETA: I forgot to comment on staining. The sun is amazing. Any breastfed poop stain, hang the wet diaper in the sun and it's magically gone. You can also spray lemon juice on the wet diaper and sun it and it will help. I've read it works for other stains. I will find out this summer

We used Motherease diapers and loved them. I was sad when I sold them but they were still in great shape after two kids to sell.

You will not regret your decision.

I am a HUGE fan of cloth diapers and have tried them all. I really like Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heiny's pocket diapers so I can adjust the amount of absorbency. For night times, I find a wool soaker to be absolutely bullet proof in terms of leaks. I use both the Kozy Designs ones as well as Aristocrats.

For travel, prefolds and a cute cover work best for us. Easier to wash and dry and store.

Washing really isn't bad at all. Just one extra wash about every three days. The only other thing you need is a diaper pail and liner and a wet bag. It is so much less expensive and so much better for the environment than disposables. Good for you.

Here are some sites that I like

www.diaperpin.com
www.cottontailbaby.com
www.clothdiaperonline.com
www.diaperswappers.com
www.mothering.com (the diapering forums)

I used cloth for all three of my children. I loved fuzzi bunz - they were used for all three children and then sold for between 1/2 and 3/4 what I paid for them!

Yep, we used mostly Mother-Ease, then the Imse Vimse's some when mom's fibromyalgia got too much for her to snap, then trainers. We are now potty trained, so I've got to get back to Diaper Swappers and see if I can sell of this now!

I did cloth from birth to potty trained for my DS. We did simple prefolds and Bummis covers for the first almost 6 months. I loved that because it was inexpensive and we NEVER had poop explosions. The couple of times we did paper diapers (for the first few nights) we had poop everywhere. Not fun. The Bummis are a great, tough diaper. I liked that I could wash everything together in one load.

After a while, we ended up with more and more Bum Genius diapers. I love pocket diapers, it's nice to be able to really fill them for nighttime. Also, I like fleece on DS's skin because he would stay dry better and he really needed that. My only complaint with the BG diapers is the velcro. It just doesn't hold up. We did laundry every other day and a couple jsut don't stick well anymore.

I had a couple of Fuzzy Bunz that I loved. Snaps were a pain for a while because DS was a major wiggler. We did lots of standing diaper changes and snaps are a challenge for that.

If I were to do it over, I'd keep the prefolds and Bummis covers for the majority of the time, and add in some of the new snapping BG diapers to round it all out.

Even my daycare (home daycare) was fine with cloth.

Thanks to everyone for all the info! Looks like I have a lot of reading and checking out to do!

Our oldest seem to break out due to something in the disposable dippers, not sure what and we also did not have a lot of money. Heck, we were poor then and had to wash them out ourselves (no dipper service for us). God those days sucked.

We've done primarily cloth for both kids, and plan to for this one as well. The first two times we had a diaper service for a few months but I don't think we will this time around; the place we used before has gone out of business and it really is no big deal to wash your own diapers. I never soaked them, just threw them in a bag and emptied them in the wash every few days. Used the sun to bleach out any stains. We used prefolds and various covers the first few times, which worked well and was the cheapest way to go. I've been buying a few all in ones lately, and will throw those into the rotation.

I see lots of cloth diapers, that often look to be in really good shape, on Craigs List a lot. You might also check out your local baby resale store. My eldest daughter also had much worse diaper rash with disposables, for some reason; maybe because it's easier to leave them in a disposable longer than you would a cloth diaper because you often don't notice they are wet as quickly.

I'm lazy, but completely recommend them :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter