• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone use a travel agent for TDR?

yenlee

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used a travel agent for their trip to TDR? I never use travel agents here in the US, and I'd only consider using one for TDR if the agents are really experts (meaning: more knowledge and expertise than I can hope to collect from madly combing the internet). My concern is that a travel agent who is an expert on Japan might not be such an expert on TDR.

I'm a travel agent, so I've done (and am doing) my own travel plans. LOL

The information about TDR you are going to find online will be greater than anything any agent will known unless they've been there.

Made the travel arrangements myself. Much easier and quicker for my own understanding and comfort. Happy to help answer any questions.

That's what I expected. I think I can figure out most things on my own, but knowing Japanese would be a big help.

For example, I know that there are 6 non-Disney on-site hotels, but it doesn't seem to be very easy to get availability and rates from all of them. Specifically, some do not show up on sites like Expedia and Orbitz. That probably bodes poorly for their English-friendliness, so we'll probably end up at Hilton or Sheraton.

Also, I understand that you can make dining reservations ahead of time, but I didn't see a very clear explanation of how this works. More importantly, I don't know if this can be done in English. (This is where a Japanese-speaking travel agent could possibly help.)

That's what I expected. I think I can figure out most things on my own, but knowing Japanese would be a big help.

For example, I know that there are 6 non-Disney on-site hotels, but it doesn't seem to be very easy to get availability and rates from all of them. Specifically, some do not show up on sites like Expedia and Orbitz. That probably bodes poorly for their English-friendliness, so we'll probably end up at Hilton or Sheraton.

Also, I understand that you can make dining reservations ahead of time, but I didn't see a very clear explanation of how this works. More importantly, I don't know if this can be done in English. (This is where a Japanese-speaking travel agent could possibly help.)

If you stay at a non-Disney hotel, you can book dining reservations a month in advance. Just call the Tokyo Disney Resort Reservations Center at +81-45-683-3333 (outside of Japan). They have English speaking agents who can help you. The only exceptions here seems to be the dining shows at the Polynesian Terrace Restaurant and Slue Foot Sue's Diamond Horseshoe. According to the TDR web site, only Disney Hotel guests can book these through the Reservations Center; everyone else must use a web site that is apparently only in Japanese.

Here is a link to the TDR web page regarding dining reservations.

As for the hotels, my recommendation would be to book them directly. If you find that they have trouble with English, and your Japanese is not sufficient, I would try another property. I'm told the Sheraton and Hilton are both very nice; business associates of mine have stayed at both properties.

That's what I thought, but the wording on the website is weird:

"Guests who have made hotel reservations through the Tokyo Disney Resort Reservations Center can also book restaurants* for inside the Parks through the Reservations Center. Reservations can be made starting from one month prior to your check-in date.

Guests who have not made hotel reservations through the Tokyo Disney Resort Reservations Center can book restaurants* inside the Park from one month prior to the date of your visit."

Notice that in the second paragraph, the phrase "through the Reservations Center" is conspicuously missing, leaving the possibility that reservations have to made some other way. Elsewhere, the website also says this:

"Disney Hotel Restaurant Information 0570-064-333
(Service is available from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
This number is available for non-hotel Guests or Guests who have made reservations through a travel agency to make Priority Seating bookings for restaurants at Disney Ambassador Hotel, Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta and Tokyo Disneyland Hotel."

Which means that there is a different number to call for hotel restaurants versus park restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter