Anyone up for a boycott on Halloween candy?

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
I'm just into day 3 of induction (low-carb....needed to jump start my weight loss and get back on track....) and because I'm so short-sighted I didn't realize Halloween fell right in the middle of my induction. I have 3 children who will be bringing home buckets of chocolate confections and candy...I need a thread I can come to avoid temptation....if I can make it through Halloween without a nibble of sugar then I'll know I have the discipline I need to finally get to goal.

Some helpful ideas.

1. When children come in with their stash...let them pick 5 pieces to eat that night and quickly seal the remainder into a sealed box. Tape it shut and create a little hole (only big enough for their little hands) where they can reach in and get a dessert for the next 3 months.

2. Tell the kids you'll pay them a dollar if they catch mommy eating their stash.

3. When you buy candy for the trick-or-treaters...buy those neat little bags with closures....pack each bag full of candy and hand those out...don't let any loose candy hang about...my kids love making those bags and we use stickers to seal them....it's alot of fun and it keeps everyone from snacking.

4. Tell your kids Halloween has been cancelled....another Hurricane is on the way.

5. Duct tape your mouth.

Any other ideas?
Tara

Oh, please don't say I'm the only fool trying to make it through Halloween with no candy! Come on WISH'ers...it's just a holiday...what's 24 hours with no candy? I need help! I'm begging for someone to say this is doable...the hollow echo on this thread is making me doubt myself! :)

AAAGHHH! Can't let candy win...must stay in control...:crazy:

Tara

as far as what we'll be handing out - it will all be peanut butter and/or coconut since I wont eat either

Im hoping DS still decides not to go trick or treating as I dont want the other stuff in the house

I'm in for the halloween candy boycott. I've been eating tons of sugar and junk the last several weeks and have put on 10 pounds. I lost 40 pounds in about a year, but if I don't get a handle on the sugar and eating NOW I know it will be Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, and the list goes on and on.

My oldest is 4 and he's soooo into Halloween this year, and into candy! Chocolate, especially, is my downfall. My kids prefer suckers, etc. So I'm going to take the chocolate they get in in their bags, and I'm going to give it out to the people who come to our house later in the evening.

Thanks guys! I just have visions of chocolate floating in my head..all the excuses coming to the front of my thinking..."Ohhh, those are such little itty bitty snack sized bars...surely one can't hurt....checking the calorie count and thinking I could easily eat one more and be okay"...before you know it I'll have 8 reese cup wrappers littering my lap. I will not let that happen!!!

My husband and I are trying to lose a combined 60 pounds by the end of January...no way will I help the cause if I can't even make it past Halloween! So just think happy healthy thoughts...how much better you will feel in those not so tight goal jeans...how happy our hearts will be not having to pump the extra mile to keep our bodies working....we can do this!! Thanks for y'alls support!
Tara

I'll join in!!!! Now and Laters and Twizzlers are my down fall. I'm in!!!!

Kimickey (by the way I adore that picture of you and the kiddies!)...you are hooked to lowfat goodies! :) All my cravings, are loaded with sugar and fat! :) But all that sugar can't be good for you...so let's send some pixie dust your way to make them not the least bit tempting! You can do it!!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Thanks for joining in! You'll be that much slimmer for all those Coronado Springs trips! My goodness...you're making me want to visit there...but we've never been able to because we have 5 in our family...it looks beautiful! I hope they give you some free upgrades with all the marketing you do for them with your signature line! :)

Tara

I'll join. I am ok until the 31st. I am allergic to everything I bought to hand out. If I go near it, I'll have hives.

Me it won't even be coming into my house. Luckily we live in apartments and get no trick or treaters anyway. :) And our dd is only 15 months and won't miss the whole trick or treating either since we aren't taking her.

i think halloween should be over now :) i babysit the same kids every day and they always share..so they awill be offering me candy..gotta be strong haha

For school DS2 is giving out Fall leaf pencils and microwave popcorn.

For trick or treaters we are handing out mini bags of microwave popcorn.

No candy in this house.

Strings...I am soo sorry you have those allergies...but what a blessing at candy holidays! :) Good for you! Keep on losing and getting healthy!

ZoesMama03....ah..yes, I remember those days! You are quite fortunate to not let Halloween slip up your eating habits...so here's CHEERS to you for making the choice not to buy that stuff! :)

Blueeyes....ah...quite good kids to share their Halloween stuff...so here's some pixie dust to help you discourage sharing! :)Nah, we want them to share...just hugs no Hershey kisses! :)

Snowflake!...a lady with a ton of practicality and creativity to skip the whole candy craze! You've inspired me to try and do that next year...GREAT JOB on circumventing a near disaster! :)

Onwards & Downwards WISH'ers!!!

Tara

I'm in. I'm trying to make it through without any candy. I know my kids will have some coming, but I'm too close to fail now:teeth:

WOW! Can I just say WOW again! I just read so many of your posts on the SBD's thread and was soooo excited to follow your shrinking self! :) You should be SOOOO proud!!! And you can avoid the candy this Halloween....think that a small slice of a homemade fruit pie (at Thanksgiving) would be so much tastier than all those preservatives forced into those little candies...even some blackberries with a little ice cream on top would sound better! :)

You are such an inspiration and I hope my hubby and I can stick to this way of eating until our trip in Jan and then continue on from there....I am so PROUD of you!!! YEAH!!! When I get to goal I will be screaming at the top of my lungs..you are much too humble...I should hear more excitement for all you've accomplished!! :)

Tara

Have any of you tried some of the suggestions at this site?

http://www.obesityhelp.com/

I'm finding that cheering and such is not working for me, I have been talking it up, but my scale is going in the same direction.
I've been dieting for as long as I can remember, but I always fall off the plan and end up putting the blame on my big ancestors who were big eaters, my near family with loads of big eaters and a desire for chocolates and sweets at every turn of the market basket.

My thoughts are of All Souls Day, November 1, 2004. Nothing to do with religion, but that is the day that I can buy all those goodies for a pittance.

I have always felt that a two eighty cent candy bars before ten a.m. is not a big deal. Come All Souls Day, I'll probably buy [my usual five day supply] five times the price of two eighty cent candy bars [$8.00 worth] . This is no big deal, only a normal five day supply, but at the sale price of twenty five cent on the dollar, I'll end up with forty candy bars that will be gone within a few days. My feeling is that I am only buying my usual eight dollars worth of candy.

Those little candy bars the trick and treaters bring home mean nothing to me, it's the bargins I play arithmetic with.

Anyway, have any of you tried the advice at:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/

I don't have little ones, so there will be no trick or treat bags at my house to worry about.

I hand out candy I like least, usually. This year, though, we are going to be out during the trick or treat hours so I didn't buy any candy at all :teeth:

Katholyn

Halloween is over!!! I didn't even have a sniff! :) YEAH!!! How did everyone else do? Even if you had a smidge...just start today anew and think of how the scales will thank you next week...

A big motivator for me to avoid the snacks was my weigh in yesterday! I lost 10 pounds in one week! Yeah, I know most was probably water weight but it felt great to know I stuck to it...only one more week of Phase 1 then my weight loss will get down to normal losses...but what an encouraging sign to be nearing GOAL!

I need one of those banners that tracks you down to goal...anyone know where you get those?

Thanks!
Tara

Not a single piece touched my lips!!!! I'm so proud:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I failed
my weight was at goal (where doc told me to stop) so I told myself it's ok to cheat but once I start I know Im in trouble- ahhhh
gotta get back under control - I have a birthday coming up end of next wk!

Way to go on the "passing the carbs" this weekend! :) sm4987...you are truly an example of how eating healthy can be a lifestyle change...I bet you didn't even take a second look at that candy! :)

Newholiday...YOU DID NOT FAIL!!!!...you merely slipped...and my goodness you're at GOAL!!! You could not have messed up that badly...a couple of weeks of eating well and getting your water in will put you right back there!!! I think it's one of the toughest holidays to not slip up on (that's why I begged for help like a baby!)...but look at your screen name...you've got a NEWHOLIDAY to look forward to! And if you ate Halloween candy...be encouraged that they are generally 1/4 serving sizes or less...so you probably didn't go over too badly. You can do this...so what are you going to treat yourself to on your birthday? Any inspiration clothing? Those work great for me...maybe planning your next vacation? Put your mind on some reward for staying OP and make sure you give it to yourself! :)

:sunny: On to brighter days!!!
Tara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter