Anyone tried Magic Mobile at Aulani?

SteveNZ

Mouseketeer
I know people have hit-or-miss luck with using Magic Bands at Aulani, but has anybody tried using the Magic Mobile feature from My Disney Experience which gives Magic Band functionality to iPhone and Apple Watch? We are headed to Aulani in October and have never been to WDW so don’t have any Magic Bands and wouldn’t be able to get our hands on any (we live in New Zealand), but I’d love to be able to use my watch to unlock doors / charge purchases. Never seen it discussed here whether anybody has tried.

I was able to use my phone to unlock my door the last week of April. The front desk informed me it would work, and it did.

I was able to use my phone to unlock my door the last week of April. The front desk informed me it would work, and it did.
Did you just touch your iPhone to the door lock without unlocking your phone, or did you have to open the MDE mobile app and select "Unlock Door"?

Did you just touch your iPhone to the door lock without unlocking your phone, or did you have to open the MDE mobile app and select "Unlock Door"?
Tapping did not work in January. The lock blinked green, so it did SOMETHING, but it didn't unlock.

The Disney MagicMobile feature that makes your iPhone and/or Apple Watch work much like a MagicBand is ONLY available at WDW and most features only work at the Theme Parks. Room charging is the only feature available outside of the theme parks. To unlock your hotel door at WDW, you must still open the MDE mobile app and touch "Unlock Door".

The Disney MagicMobile feature that makes your iPhone and/or Apple Watch work much like a MagicBand is ONLY available at WDW and most features only work at the Theme Parks. Room charging is the only feature available outside of the theme parks. To unlock your hotel door at WDW, you must still open the MDE mobile app and touch "Unlock Door".
Am at Aulani right now. The Aulani app has an “unlock” door button on the home page. I’ll try it later!

So I tried using my iPhone to unlock the door. It did not work, and a message popped up on the screen saying something to the effect of "digital key not currently set up to work one this device. Please call front desk."

So I called the front desk, and they tried doing something on their end, which was still unsuccessful. They told me the technology is currently being rolled out and that not every room is currently set up for digital key access.

They did say, however, that my room was set up for key card (as usual) and magic band. She told me that I could use a magic band (which I didn't bring, alas) to pretty much just open the room door, not all the other capabilities it has at WDW. Not sure exactly what she was talking about because I do know people have posted about being successful buying stuff on property with it. There are no magic bands for sale here, either.

Oh well!

So I tried using my iPhone to unlock the door. It did not work, and a message popped up on the screen saying something to the effect of "digital key not currently set up to work one this device. Please call front desk."

So I called the front desk, and they tried doing something on their end, which was still unsuccessful. They told me the technology is currently being rolled out and that not every room is currently set up for digital key access.

They did say, however, that my room was set up for key card (as usual) and magic band. She told me that I could use a magic band (which I didn't bring, alas) to pretty much just open the room door, not all the other capabilities it has at WDW. Not sure exactly what she was talking about because I do know people have posted about being successful buying stuff on property with it. There are no magic bands for sale here, either.

Oh well!
Thanks for the info! I actually had no idea MB's were so expensive. I looked into buying some, but US$39 for a RFID chip in a plastic band..! Oh wait... it's Disney :-)

I have never used the Magic Band at WDW since it's been over 12 years since our last visit but I honestly don't see why I would want to use the Magic Band to unlock the door. Isn't the old fashioned way of using the room key card still get access to your room?

I have never used the Magic Band at WDW since it's been over 12 years since our last visit but I honestly don't see why I would want to use the Magic Band to unlock the door. Isn't the old fashioned way of using the room key card still get access to your room?
True, but you have to take the key card out of whatever you’re carrying it in, press it to the sensor on the door, walk in, then put said card back. Magic band much easier!

Since you’re in and out of pools all day at Aulani it would be great to be able to charge purchases and open your room without having to carry your wallet and room key around with you.

Since you’re in and out of pools all day at Aulani it would be great to be able to charge purchases and open your room without having to carry your wallet and room key around with you.
No need for the entire wallet. Just the room key is all you need for this.

Sure, let’s carry a loose room key while we swim, what could go wrong? Point is: a room key in a Magic band makes perfect sense at Aulani. Where else is a better use case?
Disney Cruise Line. Where you don’t even have the option to pay for anything any other way than charge it to your onboard account. 😉 I don’t understand why after all these years of Magic Bands they haven’t brought them to the two most obvious destinations: Aulani and DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter