Anyone travel without there spouse?

arthur06

DDC #689
So, a few weeks ago, I mentioned to my wife about going to Florida in the fall. Took the time off work, started making arrangements.

Last night she tells me that she doesn't want to go. She told me to just take the kids and go without her. I feel bad doing that. But she wants to take a 3 year break from vacations, not just WDW but ALL vacations. I just feel like taking a week to get away from the daily routine is healthy.

Give me some feedback. Should I go, should I not? I just feel guilty going without her.

My grandpa wasn't much of a traveler. My grandmother went wherever she wanted without him. It worked fine for them. Maybe you wife just doesn't like to travel as much as you do. I agree, for most people, getting away for a week or so is very healthy. BUt it isn't for everyone.

yes.....DD and I are going on a cruise and to WDW in March..........and we have been several times before without DH
Also BFF and I have been a couple times
And I am planning a solo trip next year

We do take separate vacations. Not all the time, but probably once every other year or so. I will take a 4 or 5 day trip down to Disney with my mom and sister and DH will stay home. Or he'll go visit his parents, and I'll stay home.

He also does a long weekend every year with his guy friends. They are making their way around the country visiting every ballpark. They've been doing it for 25 years now. I go every year for a girls spa weekend with my friends.

But we also take one or two vacations together each year, which I wouldn't trade for the world!

I have gone to WDW many times without DH. Not solo but with family. Times that he just couldn't get away from the job mainly. I must confess that it worked out well and had a good time. DH is decidedly NOT a pool person so these are some of the only occasions I've ever been able to enjoy the pools and waterparks. He used to be a bit of a stick-in-the-mud but these days I struggle to keep up with him. :laughing:

So, a few weeks ago, I mentioned to my wife about going to Florida in the fall. Took the time off work, started making arrangements.

Last night she tells me that she doesn't want to go. She told me to just take the kids and go without her. I feel bad doing that. But she wants to take a 3 year break from vacations, not just WDW but ALL vacations. I just feel like taking a week to get away from the daily routine is healthy.

Give me some feedback. Should I go, should I not? I just feel guilty going without her.

Yes, I go to WDW without DH at least once or twice a year. In addition to that we spend about 4 days at the F&W festival, then he goes back home to work while I stay on at WDW another 4-6 days. Thinking back, my very first solo WDW trip was a surprise Mother's Day gift from my family-"Mom's weekend". DH gets lots of incredulous looks from coworkers-"You actually 'let' your wife go without you?" So why not make you both happy? Don't worry about other people-it's your marriage, not theirs. And I have a feeling your wife will be sitting home, sleeping late, reading a book, loving the peace and quiet.

I have done this often. My DH is just not as big a fan of Disney as me, once every 3 years is enough for him. :sad2: So my DS and I go once a year in early summer and then I usually take a solo trip in December when some of the Disney groups meet. BUT, I have about 35 days of vacation a year to his 10 [poor guy] and we always have a family vacation every summer.

Go with the kids, give her the break she's asking for! Enjoy yourselves and then when you come home, share the pictures and the stories of all the fun things you did!

Once in while is fine, personally I never pass on any vacation but maybe she needs a bit of quiet time! As a busy Mom I would appreciate that too from time to time!

My husband is not allowed to come to Disney with me :) I go on my own every year with the 3 boys.

No need to feel guilty. I'd love it if my husband took the kids on vacation and left me alone at home! Ask yourself "when was the last time my wife was alone at home with nobody to take care of? ". I betya she considers this her own vacation :laundy:

I would not feel guilty one bit. Everyone gets what they want....you get to go to WDW and spend some quality time with the kids.
She gets quality time by herself....which sometimes is the best vacation:rolleyes:

If you like to travel and your wife not so much.....you might want to test the waters and go by yourself....cause staying home could add up to resentments down the road.
She gave you the thumbs up to go....I would go and have a great time.
Happy planning
Kerri

Yes.

I'm not certain where the guilt is coming from if she's expressing that you should go and take the kids but she'd prefer to stay home. That one seems like an easy decision in the marriage!

Most times, we need another vacation from our vacation! My husband doesn't like to travel like I do. We compromise, only go to WDW every 1-2 years. It's a lot of preparation before hand, then the regrouping afterwards. As we get older, it takes us much more time to recoup. Sometimes the best vacation is staying at home.

You can do it! DW may enjoy a little time on her own. Not knowing the details of your situation, I'd just say "go with what the DW suggests"... always works around here!!;)

Have FUN!!!

For the past few years, I have been going on our summer trips without DH, and instead brought friends and relatives with me and the girls. It was just too hot and after doing it for 15 years, he had enough!!!

While I miss him, I haven felt guilty about going since he was perfectly okay with it. Now, as the kids are older, we are going to be doing more me and him trips so its all good!! Go and have fun!!!

I went this past December 2011 without DH. I flew alone w/the kids and met my parents there. DH could't go b/c of work commitments.

It was great. We had a great time, called him a few times a day. When we came home he had wrapped up all his work projects, put up xmas lights, and set up the tree, wrapped half the presents, etc.

Sometimes people just need time alone to like, breathe. It was actually such a great arrangement that I told him the kids and I should just fly off to WDW if we ever need him to remodel the kitchen or work on the house. Less stress for me, less stress for him. :rotfl:

I have taken DD on a just the 2 of us twice.. in addititon I almost always go down earlier than him with just kiddo, as he gets less vacation time.

NO GUILT love it! It is some of our best times.. cause we do super cheap on the food no TS, and no extras like dessert party, means no planning.. just fun.

I am thinking of going in June and getting 1 more trip out of APS .. but DH will not be able to come.. Not sure if I will take both DD8 and DD1, or just DD8, or bring a friend along to ride with DD8, or watch baby while DD8 and I ride.. but if I go I PROMISE to have fun, and enjoy every minute without any guilt!

DH travels A LOT for work, so I will sometimes take DS away without DH either when he is traveling or when he can't or doesn't want to take off work.
I can't imagine NOT wanting to vacation (every cahnce I get), but everyone is different. Its nice to have an understanding with your spouse about things like that and then you each get "your way." Plus, I think its great for the kids to get a little one on one time with each parent.

PS - as a busy working mom myself, I would LOVE for DH to take DS on a little vacation. It would be great bonding time for them and nice quiet time for me!

I've done it many times. I get 4 weeks vacation and DH gets 2 so that is one factor. We do one family vacation a year. The kids are always with me though and I can betcha once they are older, I would love to do a girls only vacation. Don't feel bad, perhaps your wife needs a break.

They had a kids play/stay/dine for free deal and airfaire was super cheap a couple summers ago right before the kiddos started back to school. DH couldn't get away from work but encouraged us to go ahead. I felt bad leaving him home at first and a little nervous about going alone with DS8 and DD6 at the time. We ended up going. The price was too good to pass up. We had a great trip and neither of us regretted it at all.

I surprised him by taking Flat Daddy pictures while we were there. It was a fun project for the kids picking places/rides/characters etc to take the pictures and he loved the photo book we made him when we got home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter