Anyone spend Christmas or New Years Eve at Disneyland?

Disneysince82

Mouseketeer
One of my 1st memory as a kid was spending Christmas at Disneyland. I always joked if we could go during the holidays we would splurge and do it! I was playing around with the reservations site(something I do way too often) site & I called the reservation line & changed our August(really happy to have have to deal with heat!) ones to them! I almost cried I was so happy :o

Right now we are booked for

12/24 - 12/28 GCH 1 bedroom suite(it seemed like it was only a couple hundred less than 2 standard connecting rooms)
12/28 - 1/1 DLH 1 bedroom family suite (we actually have this on courtesy hold till Monday)

We were thinking of staying from 12/24 - 1/1 but cant do the whole visit at GCH unless we just stayed in whole time all in 1 standard room -- and my husband & I want some privacy. We could do the whole time at DLH but I joked that if I could ever do the holidays at DL I would try to stay at the GCH to experience it.

The big thing I am trying to weigh is if we just should do a Christmas only trip & just come back. The AMAZING CM that was helping me mentioned to me that NYE when he went was body to body.... amazing but also he hadnt done it again. I know the holidays are going to be crazy but still. Part of me is thinking maybe we should just do our 5 days at CGH and call it day.

Has anyone done both holidays and have any feedback/suggestions?

We did CL at the DLH last NYE and we are booked again for this year. It was an incredible experience, but we didn't even make it into the park for actual NYE. It was raining cats and dogs the entire day and as soon as we stepped outside our shoes were drenched by the standing water. Both fireworks shows ended up being cancelled, so it was a good call for us to get a few mimosas from CL and enjoy our room instead of venturing out lol. They gave out the noisemakers and hats in CL so we at least got those to celebrate! We were really lucky because we had booked the WOC dessert party for NYE but saw the forecast and cancelled at the last possible minute (2 days out for a refund, otherwise we would have been out the $$). We would have been completely miserable and cold and they don't provide umbrellas. The show goes on and is very rarely cancelled, even in a major downpour.

It rained basically our entire stay, but we were prepared with down parkas, UGG boots, gloves, and those heat packets for your hands. We come from a cold climate but the California humidity hits way different, especially at night. In fact, we even wore a hoodie under our down jackets to keep warm. Like I said, we are booked again this year so we definitely enjoyed it but are just going to be prepared for next time with rain boots. It didn't feel any busier than other busy times (specifically October), but we're pretty good with planning our day around the crowds so that may have factored in as well.

NYE will be wall to wall people, it happens every year. Christmas week itself is pretty busy, but NYE is an entirely different level of packed.

Thank you!!!

When the CM actually said what he did to me about how body to body it was. Then went on to tell me he was going to put the other part on courtesy hold and to 'think about it' TBH I could see it maybe souring the end of the trip.... maybe that is being a little dramatic. My husband doenst like body to body crowds(but already said he would do it...but I know he is also saying that for me) and you take that and a 5/15 yr old kids -- I could see it being like a silent panic the whole time. Also I wont have a problem with our son being 'free range' per say while we are there, but NOT on NYE. I worry that it could hard for him in such a crowd to get back to us and then it would be a mess.

Maybe its best to be in our beds at home on NYE at 10 like we always are 🤣

We did CL at the DLH last NYE and we are booked again for this year. It was an incredible experience, but we didn't even make it into the park for actual NYE. It was raining cats and dogs the entire day and as soon as we stepped outside our shoes were drenched by the standing water. Both fireworks shows ended up being cancelled, so it was a good call for us to get a few mimosas from CL and enjoy our room instead of venturing out lol. They gave out the noisemakers and hats in CL so we at least got those to celebrate! We were really lucky because we had booked the WOC dessert party for NYE but saw the forecast and cancelled at the last possible minute (2 days out for a refund, otherwise we would have been out the $$). We would have been completely miserable and cold and they don't provide umbrellas. The show goes on and is very rarely cancelled, even in a major downpour.

It rained basically our entire stay, but we were prepared with down parkas, UGG boots, gloves, and those heat packets for your hands. We come from a cold climate but the California humidity hits way different, especially at night. In fact, we even wore a hoodie under our down jackets to keep warm. Like I said, we are booked again this year so we definitely enjoyed it but are just going to be prepared for next time with rain boots. It didn't feel any busier than other busy times (specifically October), but we're pretty good with planning our day around the crowds so that may have factored in as well.

I was just joking with my husband I would cry(not literally) if the fireworks were canceled LOL We are planning to also do the WOC dessert party when we are there! I am glad you were able to cancel in time before you got it.

I am almost planning also for rain -- which I probably will be better with than the August heat! I was looking at the previous weather for the last few years in Anaheim earlier today!

I love that you booked again this year because it clearly didnt sour the experience for you :) I am like you and I can do rain and busy... but the idea of going in October I couldn't do. I love Halloween but I am not dealing with that all.

We are also going to do CL when we are there. I know it seems like people seem to have strong feelings about that and WOC Dessert party lol After really looking into it I really think we will use it & if anything our son who will be 15 will get more than enough use of it! I doubt the bottomless pit of eating will change between now and then. I also love that you can come in and get drinks and we have always used the 'evening receptions' at other places. I saw a youtube of a family that used it and it sealed the deal. They were doing CL and had rented a cabana also and totally took full advantage of the perks.

I was just joking with my husband I would cry(not literally) if the fireworks were canceled LOL We are planning to also do the WOC dessert party when we are there! I am glad you were able to cancel in time before you got it.

I am almost planning also for rain -- which I probably will be better with than the August heat! I was looking at the previous weather for the last few years in Anaheim earlier today!

I love that you booked again this year because it clearly didnt sour the experience for you :) I am like you and I can do rain and busy... but the idea of going in October I couldn't do. I love Halloween but I am not dealing with that all.
Yes! It's hard to have a bad time at Disneyland, it beats being at work. :laughing:
We're crazy enough that we are doing both Halloween and NYE! We did both last year and went in late October, this time we're doing late September. Gives a little more room in between trips to recover (financially and physically - ha!).

We are also going to do CL when we are there. I know it seems like people seem to have strong feelings about that and WOC Dessert party lol After really looking into it I really think we will use it & if anything our son who will be 15 will get more than enough use of it! I doubt the bottomless pit of eating will change between now and then. I also love that you can come in and get drinks and we have always used the 'evening receptions' at other places. I saw a youtube of a family that used it and it sealed the deal. They were doing CL and had rented a cabana also and totally took full advantage of the perks.
There are definitely mixed opinions about CL. We personally LOVE it, I feel there is a lot of variety and the food is pretty good. We still ate in the parks, but it was nice to maybe grab breakfast and then do a light lunch/dinner before a later reservation or grab a drink while taking a midday break. We've only done DLH CL, though, but I've heard really good things about GCH CL too.

Yes! It's hard to have a bad time at Disneyland, it beats being at work. :laughing:
We're crazy enough that we are doing both Halloween and NYE! We did both last year and went in late October, this time we're doing late September. Gives a little more room in between trips to recover (financially and physically - ha!).

There are definitely mixed opinions about CL. We personally LOVE it, I feel there is a lot of variety and the food is pretty good. We still ate in the parks, but it was nice to maybe grab breakfast and then do a light lunch/dinner before a later reservation or grab a drink while taking a midday break. We've only done DLH CL, though, but I've heard really good things about GCH CL too.
You are crazy.... but I think its awesome!!! We LOVE Halloween and our daughter is a Halloween girl and she might love it more than any other holiday. We go all out for it & if she is still really into it when she is a bit older I can see us diving into October at DL. I do admire those that do the whole Halloween season at DL because they seem like their own breed(in a good way lol) and just truly love it.

CL just really seems like a GOOD deal if you have 4+ people and even eat 1 meal there. At DLH for CL it is what $250 so that breaks down to like $62pp for us. We also plan to eat most of meals in the parks but even if we just did breakfast & mid/late day bites -- we would spend more than that. I think it will also allow us to focus on hitting the dining reservations splurges and then have still a place to grab snacks/lite meals. It will also save me time going to the grocery store to get drinks -- and the kids will love going to get them for us there! I am not someone who goes off the park to get food to save money during the day -- unless its planned meal. IMO time is money and the time it takes to trek outside of the bubble to save a few $$ isnt worth it. Also the fireworks seating bonus. :)

We did NYE in 2019. Did a bunch of park hopping too where we managed to ride on Radiator Springs Racers during fireworks, and they did have the normal 9:30 fireworks in addition to midnight fireworks. We also had a FastPass for Indy just before midnight but got there early and got in and out before midnight. It was packed.

Not sure how it works with reservations. That might be the hard part, although when we were there for NYE it seemed so full that I was wondering if they had just decided to go above normal capacity limits. We ended up being routed through the employee corridors to get out.

I was on the Disneyland property last NYE but didn’t have a ticket. I had dinner at the Anaheim Packing House and thought maybe I’d catch whatever show from the esplanade. I waited in an interminable line at the Hearthstone Lounge to buy a $12 beer (which turned out to be a 12 oz can poured into a glass), where I was told I could take it to any public area on the Grand Californian grounds. It was tough with pretty much no space at the bar or lounge on NYE, so I found a table in a covered area with an overhead heater. And it was raining buckets all night. I was dodging puddles everywhere but all it took was one step. There were a good deal of people hoping to see the show from the esplanade, and CMs were OK with us standing under the covered entrance to DCA as long as we didn’t block people trying to get in. All I saw was searchlights and no fireworks (which were scheduled) likely because of the rain.

Thank you!!!

When the CM actually said what he did to me about how body to body it was. Then went on to tell me he was going to put the other part on courtesy hold and to 'think about it' TBH I could see it maybe souring the end of the trip.... maybe that is being a little dramatic. My husband doenst like body to body crowds(but already said he would do it...but I know he is also saying that for me) and you take that and a 5/15 yr old kids -- I could see it being like a silent panic the whole time. Also I wont have a problem with our son being 'free range' per say while we are there, but NOT on NYE. I worry that it could hard for him in such a crowd to get back to us and then it would be a mess.

Maybe its best to be in our beds at home on NYE at 10 like we always are 🤣
You're welcome.

It sounds like your husband wouldn't enjoy NYE in the park. But bless his heart that he is willing to make the sacrifice!

Another suggestion if you are going to be in the park on NYE is to make dining reservations, their available 60 days out from reservation day. You can imagine a packed park and most people in general like to eat their meals around the same time frames, I foresee long lines for any take away service and not being able to do any sit down service without a prior reservation. Or if you are going to use a take away service you can mobile order beginning at 7am and choose whatever time frame throughout the day to pick up your food.

Has anyone done both holidays and have any feedback/suggestions?
We do it every year, usually Dec 22-Jan 3. We really enjoy NYE in the park. But we don't try and hit every ride. We love the decor, and just being away from work. NYE is crowded. But last year was not as bad as in the past. If it is raining, a few stay home, but as everyone has usually purchased tickets and are giving family the gift of Christmas there, most will stay thru the rain. With the reservation system, it does seem lighter. The days between Christmas and NYE are also a little heavier because of the Rose Bowl crowds. They arrive on the 26th, and you will see the cheer teams, football teams and all the bands involved in the parade. We've been doing this since the late 90s.

Last NYE was not packed due to the rain. We hopped over to DL before 9pm and tons of people were leaving since fireworks were canceled, and even at midnight it wasn’t crazy since a lot of people correctly guessed that the midnight fireworks would be canceled too. The best part was heading back over to DCA after midnight. It was so empty, we walked on WS and they let us stay on to ride again. We could’ve stayed more times but our arms got tired.

The previous year we did DL during the day but headed to DCA for NYE to avoid crowds. It wasn’t too bad there and we had plenty of space around us.

We did Disneyland 12/22-12/26 in 2022. Loved it. It was raining almost every day but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I'm sure the atmosphere for NYE is fun but I don't have it in me to fight extra crowds.

You're welcome.

It sounds like your husband wouldn't enjoy NYE in the park. But bless his heart that he is willing to make the sacrifice!

Another suggestion if you are going to be in the park on NYE is to make dining reservations, their available 60 days out from reservation day. You can imagine a packed park and most people in general like to eat their meals around the same time frames, I foresee long lines for any take away service and not being able to do any sit down service without a prior reservation. Or if you are going to use a take away service you can mobile order beginning at 7am and choose whatever time frame throughout the day to pick up your food.

Oh I have warned everyone the 530AM 60 days out we are going to all be awake and in READY MODE for every day for that week LOL What I am thinking is we would do the EST countdown & go back to the hotel to hang out in the CL. I have seen a few reviews of the NYE reserved dining at the Plaza Inn and that seems like a seriously good deal if what I am seeing is true. It seems like you get the table for the night & can watch from there -- and its not packed!

We do it every year, usually Dec 22-Jan 3. We really enjoy NYE in the park. But we don't try and hit every ride. We love the decor, and just being away from work. NYE is crowded. But last year was not as bad as in the past. If it is raining, a few stay home, but as everyone has usually purchased tickets and are giving family the gift of Christmas there, most will stay thru the rain. With the reservation system, it does seem lighter. The days between Christmas and NYE are also a little heavier because of the Rose Bowl crowds. They arrive on the 26th, and you will see the cheer teams, football teams and all the bands involved in the parade. We've been doing this since the late 90s.
Love this! Yea we have the same plan & also might be way we are going for a longer time, so it is just a relaxed feeling the whole time. I figure that when it comes to Christmas/NYE that rides will take a back seat and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Oh I have warned everyone the 530AM 60 days out we are going to all be awake and in READY MODE for every day for that week LOL What I am thinking is we would do the EST countdown & go back to the hotel to hang out in the CL. I have seen a few reviews of the NYE reserved dining at the Plaza Inn and that seems like a seriously good deal if what I am seeing is true. It seems like you get the table for the night & can watch from there -- and its not packed!
I just literally laughed at we're all going to be awake and in ready mode and you fore warned everyone, I love it!! Plaza Inn sounds like a good deal. You probably just won't see the projections on the castle (trees blocking) but you'll see everything else.

I just literally laughed at we're all going to be awake and in ready mode and you fore warned everyone, I love it!! Plaza Inn sounds like a good deal. You probably just won't see the projections on the castle (trees blocking) but you'll see everything else.
It was a matter of about 3 secs till they both realized I wasnt joking LOL It was like when I told my husband I have 2 very intensive Excel planners for this trip... he was like wait what?!? So the not being in front of the castle is something that really bothers me -- and I need to get over. I need to be able to see at least one fireworks show in front of the castle. If you see a random woman sitting on the ground with a MacBook in front of the castle hours before the fireworks .... its me. I was debating maybe trying to secure that on Christmas Eve(which is silly) for them but probably need to rethink that.

I was buying our airline tickets this week & it looks like we could possibly save around $800-1000 flying in 24th morning. The issue is that means we would get to the hotel around 10:30-11AM in the prefect situation. I was sitting here thinking maybe I should try to do a 'non park day' but it is Christmas Eve and I dont think that will work -- but the idea of going into the park mid day makes panic LOL I am also a rope drop girl who doenst want to close anything down. Maybe we could try to just hit the parades and all the other things that day and try to snag a good dinner reservations.

It was a matter of about 3 secs till they both realized I wasnt joking LOL It was like when I told my husband I have 2 very intensive Excel planners for this trip... he was like wait what?!? So the not being in front of the castle is something that really bothers me -- and I need to get over. I need to be able to see at least one fireworks show in front of the castle. If you see a random woman sitting on the ground with a MacBook in front of the castle hours before the fireworks .... its me. I was debating maybe trying to secure that on Christmas Eve(which is silly) for them but probably need to rethink that.

I was buying our airline tickets this week & it looks like we could possibly save around $800-1000 flying in 24th morning. The issue is that means we would get to the hotel around 10:30-11AM in the prefect situation. I was sitting here thinking maybe I should try to do a 'non park day' but it is Christmas Eve and I dont think that will work -- but the idea of going into the park mid day makes panic LOL I am also a rope drop girl who doenst want to close anything down. Maybe we could try to just hit the parades and all the other things that day and try to snag a good dinner reservations.
You're definitely my kind of people! I also have a spreadsheet for vacation. The one I did last year was more intense just because of staying on property, and all the dining packages. I planned everything, and my BFF was like whatever your little heart desires, she had no opinion. She only said just tell me what time I have to show up.

I use to camp out for the fireworks, back in 2010, and it would only be for 90 mins or less. Things have changed a lot, since then, and so have I. At 50 years old, I can't sit on the ground for too long anymore. Last year, after the electrical parade (my fav show), I stood close to the flag pole, with mostly unobstructed view and watched from there. I could see the projections along mainstreet but just not on the castle. But I was good with it.

Starting your 1st day mid day at the parks may not be as bad as you think. My family does it all the time. We would drive down early morning from NorCal and be in the parks no later than 12-12:30pm. And then close down the park. Well they did anyway, I was usually done by 10pm. Also on Christmas Eve during the evening the crowds aren't as bad, a lot of people are either at home or visiting family at some party somewhere. So parade viewing or other shows, a few rides, and a dining reservation sounds like a good plan to me!

I will always say a 10 out of 10 at Disneyland is just no fun. You're looking at 9 days of 10 out of 10 crowds. We did this most recent NYE and it was just too busy. If I had to choose I'd choose NYE though. Overall, the holiday season is cool, but I'm not sure I'd sacrifice the actual holiday for it. Especially if you have family traditions. The concept is far better than the execution

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter