Anyone see their yearly WDW vacations ending???

I sold our DVC contracts a few months ago. Just spent a few days at the World this past week and enjoyed the time. Have one more trip planned for DD and I this May and then our AP will expire in August. After the May trip I don't see any Disney trips for us coming up for many years. Maybe Universal though.

I've said things to this effect time and time again. There IS a such thing as too much, and I think many, many of the complaints about WDW stem from the fact that some people go so often there's no magic left, just misery in comparing it to "the good old days."

We've had years when we went two times or more and it didn't lessen the magic at all, in fact it increased it because if we didn't get to everything we would say, oh well next time.

Honestly, I don't know. I was REALLY bothered by the AP and TiW price increases last year and considered giving up on WDW but last month ended up renewing my annual pass. Solo WDW trips have been my guilty pleasure for almost ten years now and they would be hard to give up.

I have changed the way I "do" Disney though. Our family was a die hard on site one for my first 20 Years of Disney. Now I go 4-5 times a year and have begun to spend about half of my time offsite in a much, much, much cheaper condo. I've also become a fan of brownbagging my lunch. I'm still spending in the same ballpark but as more of my fun money goes to tickets, less is spent on other things like food and hotels.

For people who are worried that not doing yearly trips will not instill a love of Disney in their kids: Don't. I went to Disney 4 times between birth and the age of 16, then went on a trip in high school. After that, I was beyond hooked, did the DCP and plan trips to Disney on my own.

If you do have to cut back either do to price or due to a desire to see different destinations, I don't always see that as a bad thing. It keeps it fresh and special for me.

We're running on fumes, I guess.
The past few trips have been in dead August, and were very hot and very crowded. We're hoping this trip in early March will not wipe us out (physically, always wiped financially,lol). That said, our ticker now says 4 days, the suitcases are out and we're getting ready for a break from the overall yuck of New Jersey.
Retiring in just under 3 years, and need to focus on that, then we'll be residents of Sarasota, just under 2 hrs. from Disney. Not to rush, but am looking forward to seeing Disney with fresh eyes and wonder of a grandchild, just as our boys had way back when.

We're planning a few days at Universal on our next trip and are toying with the idea of buying annual passes there. If so, we'll probably do a couple of long weekends there. Not sure when we'll be back to WDW, although we do want to go to DL.

We used to go every other year but, as a Canadian with a plummeting dollar, I don't think we'll be back until things improve dollar wise. It is a shame because we do love Disney but I can't afford nor can I justify a 40% price jump tied to our declining dollar. I retire in 5 years - maybe a retirement trip? But then who knows what the cost or where our dollar will be. I've taken to stalking the boards to get my Disney fix.

Last edited:
We were Disney fans before we had our own lil girl but we definitely have gone more since she's been born

While I understand the cost and worrying about being less special with tons of visits; I disagree that the kids won't think it's magical.

Each time we go, our daughter has a different experience. We've gone in Feb, March, June and Oct. And she's been to both parks (DL and WDW and a cruise)

For us it was just the timing and the older she gets the more she can do.

So while I get for some it's burned out, I think it all depends on what types of trips you plan and trying to go for different things. We went for halloween last year and loved it and this year there's easter egg hunts while we're in the park. Each trip can be unique

We are very very lucky to have a member of the military in our family. Without that, and the ability to stay at Shades, this price increase would price us out. Off to Universal, Sea World and other interesting places we would go.

For people who are worried that not doing yearly trips will not instill a love of Disney in their kids: Don't. I went to Disney 4 times between birth and the age of 16, then went on a trip in high school. After that, I was beyond hooked, did the DCP and plan trips to Disney on my own.

If you do have to cut back either do to price or due to a desire to see different destinations, I don't always see that as a bad thing. It keeps it fresh and special for me.

I heartily agree. I couldn't afford to go to Disney until last year, when I was 43 years old. I've always been an enormous die-hard Disney fan and always will be.

For what it's worth -- if you're not enjoying your yearly visits, for any reason -- too many closures, you feel, or you've seen it all, or the price increase, anything really -- you definitely, definitely should make different vacation plans. It *is* an expensive vacation, and there are tons of other things to do or see. If you don't think it's worth every penny, then it's not the right choice for right now, at least. No harm in that.

We're definitely losing the love, though we were more every-other-year visitors than annual. We're trying a cruise for the first time this year, and are contemplating Disneyland and other cruise lines in the future.

We're definitely losing the love, though we were more every-other-year visitors than annual. We're trying a cruise for the first time this year, and are contemplating Disneyland and other cruise lines in the future.

Oh, enjoy the cruise! I loved cruising DCL but can't anymore (cruise ships do nasty things to my vertigo), but I will always sing their praises. Had a wonderful time on the Fantasy. Hope you like it!

We cannot go every year, it's just not in our budget. But my kids are getting older and I keep wanting to throw in one more trip. We last went as a whole family in January 2014, then this past November just my daughter and I went, and we have a trip booked for next February with our three kids that will still be at home. I think that will be the last trip for awhile. Not because I don't love Disney but just because it's a long drive for us. For us going every 2-3 years is perfect.

Oh, enjoy the cruise! I loved cruising DCL but can't anymore (cruise ships do nasty things to my vertigo), but I will always sing their praises. Had a wonderful time on the Fantasy. Hope you like it!
Thanks, we are beyond excited for the cruise!

Reactions: TAK
My family just went for the first time all together since I was 11 (for context, I'm 22 now) and honestly it was so special. My sister is 20 and my brother is 18 and both of them had a magical time. I think what made it so amazing for us is how long we waited. My family went on a trip four years ago without me, and I've been a couple times without them, but there's just something about reuniting as a family after a long time without a family vacation.

Yep, I don't plan to go back until 2018. Hopefully, my daughter will have her passport in June and we'll be off and cruising, but not on Disney. I cruised a lot before she was born, all inclusives too, so we'll be going back to MY first travel loves. LOL!

Not for me, but that could be due to my writing about WDW for The DIS and also being a DVC owner. I tend to enjoy a slower pace too and, while I hit all of the big/favorite attractions, I focus on the extras like the Easter egg hunts, festivals, resorts, etc. I'm fortunate enough to visit often and have never had a time when I was bored.

I've been a DVC member since 1999 and have way cut down my trips over the past 7 since my son was born. Bought in while I was married and we were DINKs and going 4x a year with annual passes that cost less than a 7 day parkhopper. Have since sold off 2 out of 3 of our contracts (retaining the 130 point one, which is just right for us honestly), divorced and now we share that contract. For the $35 a month that is my share of dues I get to go every other year if I want to. It is enough. It's enough that everything is fresh and fun and magical and I don't get too wound up on news and rumors. My son thinks it is the best vacation ever but I am also trying to instill in him the value of money, the concept of something being a treat vs. a thing you are entitled to etc. We don't have a "rule" about it but since 2014 he has gone about once every year to year and a half. I think every 2 years is a pretty good pace and we try to do some other travel in between. Honestly without DVC it would be much LESS frequently. Even a studio now at discounted rates is like $2500 for the week. It is a HUGE nut as a single mom to have cracked and have fabulous accommodations paid for in advance. It would be more like once ever 3-4 years without that based on the way I prefer to travel. I spend $400-600 on plane tickets, $750 or so on passes, about $1500 on food and other incidentals. Paying for the room would double the time it takes me to save for a trip. Right now I can absorb the increases but I may not always be able to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter