Anyone recently come home sick from a cruise?

Came home with COVID from our Disney Magic cruise in Sept (Europe). I had COVID in May and I was vaccinated and boosted so I was really surprised. I also tried to wear a mask in crowded indoor areas but I was not perfect. My daughter and husband did not get it... Obviously personal immune systems seem to play a part.

For this reason I am hesitant about our Greek cruise planned in June. Ended up in the ER twice with COVID due to racing heart rate while inactive... I still can't do much without it getting way up there. Going to wait things out and have discussions with cardiology.

It's such a personal decision for everyone.. If I had not been affected by COVID so seriously I may not have the same concerns.

We have a cruise just two weeks out and my excitement is slightly turning into concern. With everything going around I’m getting really nervous and we’re at the point where it’s too late to cancel. I understood the risk of Covid when I booked 6 months ago but I in no way expected that to be piled on with Flu, RSV and Pneumonia 😬
I’m not a doctor and I’m not giving medical advice. That said, I’m happy to share the regimen my family and I have used with great success this past year…

Vitamins C, D, Quercitin, Zinc regularly along with Povidone-Iodine nasal spray and BiocidinTS throat spray daily when traveling.

Between the five of us in 2022, we’ve traveled to Arizona, Washington, Wisconsin, the US Virgin Islands and Spain. Not one of us caught any form of illness while traveling. “Us” includes my wife and I along with our 11, 7 & 5 yr old kids.

Live life…preferably on a Disney Cruise 😎

We cruised in Dec and did not come home sick:) some of us vaxed some not and no one was boosted due to extreme side effects..shingles... For what its worth you just never know.

Unfortunately, germs are everywhere.

I haven’t been on a cruise yet but we went to Disney for a week in August and we flew. We masked indoors and used sanitizer and did not get sick.

Then my 1st grader went to school. Between Sept-Dec, he brought home 2 colds, RSV, a stomach bug, and influenza A. And of course he gave every single one of those to me. Never been so sick in my life.

At this point, I do my best wherever I go but germs are just a huge part of life, especially now that we aren’t masking/distancing hardly at all.

The truth is it's easy to get scared back into worrying more than we should and more than we did pre-2020. I live in Florida, so I don't worry about it at all. I don't wear a mask, I don't worry about social gatherings, and I go to WDW weekly. We have been on two cruises recently and came back sick once. Now, all of that being said, I travel a lot for work and end up in NYC and Washington DC a lot. Both of those places have more people still in masks and still talking about covid and flu. Very often I will come back thinking maybe I am wrong, and I should exercise more caution. There is nothing worse than being sick. I think the truth is, I'm a lot happier living my life just like I did all the way back in 2019. We're going to get sick sometimes, but the best we can do is eat well, get some (minimal in my case) exercise, and wash our hands. If you have considerable risk factors then you should obviously take additional precautions, but the worst thing we can do is rob ourselves of the limited time we have here.

We cruised on the wish in December and wore our mask and washed/sanitized like crazy. We were the only family in our FB Wish group that didn’t get sick. Everyone else was reporting the flu and COVID like symptoms. I’m glad we all dodged that

To be fair, though, close quarters with a few thousand people has always been a risk that is amplified during the winter months. The spotlight shone on it over the last couple of years has really caused us to be too cautious. Thank God your precautions brought you home healthy and hopefully you enjoyed your cruise and family time. It's still the best vacation out there!

My Dad and I were orignally booked on Wish in August 2022, then changed to February 2023 and now we changed in April 2023.

With Lupus I have to be careful about sicknesses. My mom hates cruises and is more worried for us, should be fun telling her, End of February. We changed to end of April before we also told her we wouldn't go in winter again. NJ always gets snow when we travel.

We will be bringing masks and hope numbers are better with sicknesses

i’m not gonna lie and say oh don’t worry about it you’ll be fine. Honestly the risk is high. Pack masks with you in case you get sick and maybe some cold and fever medication. I don’t know what the policy is right now if they put you in quarantine anymore or not.I know so many including ourselves who got covid from a cruise. my cousin, a co-worker, at least 50 in my last cruise group.

The most recent case I know about was my cousin who got back from a cruise about three weeks ago and they both got it

Yes hand sanitizer does nothing for norovirus—the virus has a capsid surrounding it which makes it harder to kill and the gel components in hand sanitizer help to protect the virus from the alcohol. There is one sanitizer Germstar that is effective against norovirus. We wash hands with soap and water before eating and after the bathroom and use that in between. Also Lysol and Clorox wipes do not kill it either.

on a side note, we were in the Disney parks over New Years and it was disgusting how many women I saw not wash their hands after using the restrooms. At the Hollywood Brown Derby 3 women came out of stalls while I was waiting and went straight back into the restaurant. So gross.
This is also why I always use a paper towel to open the door when I leave after washing my hands

Every time I go on a cruise someone in my party gets sick. Usually a cold. It doesn’t bother us though

i’m not gonna lie and say oh don’t worry about it you’ll be fine. Honestly the risk is high. Pack masks with you in case you get sick and maybe some cold and fever medication. I don’t know what the policy is right now if they put you in quarantine anymore or not.I know so many including ourselves who got covid from a cruise. my cousin, a co-worker, at least 50 in my last cruise group.

The most recent case I know about was my cousin who got back from a cruise about three weeks ago and they both got it
I plan to bring masks and wear when I feel I need it.

Of the six people that gathered for Thanksgiving last year, five of us tested positive for COVID-19 including wife and me November 26-27. Only one person never tested positive. But she had COVID-19 about three months before the holiday.

Fast forward to our WDW Resort stay and B2B Christmas cruise on the Disney Wish, wife and I always felt fine our son started getting cold like symptoms two days before disembarking (having to carry tissues because of a runny nose). Got home the day after Christmas and the symptoms became worse including a bad cough; he believes he had COVID-19. He didn't have a home test kit but he developed a loss of taste and smell for a short time and still has a cough that still is lingering to this day.

A few people from our social media cruise group came down with covid after the cruise two weeks ago.
I've tested myself twice since the cruise and both tests came back negative.

Just got back from a cruise on the Wish on January 23rd. We wore masks indoors whenever possible and tried to be diligent about washing our hands. Thankfully didn’t get sick. Took a PCR test yesterday just to make sure and it came back negative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter