Anyone read or reading "The Hunger Games"?

I downloaded the first one onto my Kindle after some recommendations (and a really good price on it). I really liked it. The narrative perspective (I don't know, would you call that 1st person present tense?) was really well used, gave everything a sense of urgency. Looking forward to seeing how it will translate onto the big screen.

TL

Never heard of it until I saw the trailer in the theatre before Sherlock Holmes...looked interesting...then I saw the books at Barnes and Noble...almost bought it...but passed.

Now maybe I think I will give it a shot. Thanks :thumbsup2 <--Thumb

Never heard of it until I saw the trailer in the theatre before Sherlock Holmes...looked interesting...then I saw the books at Barnes and Noble...almost bought it...but passed.

Now maybe I think I will give it a shot. Thanks :thumbsup2 <--Thumb

I read the books back in early December. Amazon had a deal where they sold all three as a single Kindle download for about $4, so I jumped on it. I read all three books in about two weeks (and that included 5 days at Walt Disney World where I wasn't doing much reading). I thought the books were really terrific.

It will be interesting how they translate to film. From what I'm hearing, they're doing it "the right way," meaning that they're not forcing the books' first person perspective with a lot of voiceover narration. (In fact, I hear that there was no voiceover narration by the main character in the shooting script). But that puts a LOT of pressure on the movie script and on the actors to be able to convey all of the internal monologue of the books onto the movie screen.

I read all three books the week after christmas on my kindle. I rented the first book for free via the Amazon Trial (which I canceled). I got the other 2 off of Epubbud.

The books definitely had good pacing, as I was able to read right through them. Overall I enjoyed the books. It will be interesting to see how the series translates to the big screen.

I don't get a chance to read too often, but these were pretty quick and held my attention.

Glad to see some others got a chance to check them out. Really excited to see the movie. Hope they turn out at least close to as good as the books.

By the end of the series I was completely emotionally drained.

I read them before I let my kids read them (because I heard some bad things), but I was pleasantly surprised that although they were very violent, unlike a lot on TV/movies, the violence had real consequences, so I appreciated that.

My 11 year old is finishing the series and my 9 year old is eager to start them (but a little apprehensive since her 12 year old brother who hasn't read them says that they are too scary...)

I read the series last year. I really enjoyed the first book, but felt like the second and third were not up to the same standard set by the first. I have been told that I am wrong about this, though :confused3:rolleyes1

MY DW Kindled the first book for a beach trip last year. When she finished it in 2 days, I knew it must be entertaining. Not trying to sound like a book snob, but I don't read much current fiction. I enjoy 19th and early 20th century lit, but I ended up reading the series and enjoyed them greatly. Looking forward to the movie.

I read all of them. The first was good but then they went downhill pretty quick. There was just something about the last two that just didn't grab me the way the first one did.

I read Hunger Games last week - really enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup2 Now reading book 2. :surfweb:

I just finished reading the first book last week. Really enjoyed it! Makes me wish we had "young adult" reading that good when we were growing up.

Looking forward to the movie in a couple of weeks! I'm guessing it'll get a PG-13; anything lower would have to result in a movie too watered down.

Just picked up 'Catching Fire' off my son's bookshelf and I hope to start it at lunchtime today.

Was Looking at the Cast for the Movie.

Casting looks pretty good...Woody Harrelson is not exacctly who I pictured for Haymitch. But if he can bring a little of his Tallahassee character from Zomieland...I'm certain he'll do fine.

I had seen this for the last few months but ignored it because it was always near the Twilight books and I thought it was another vampire series. It wasn't until I saw the preview for the movie That I picked it up and blew through it in a couple of days. Went through the 2nd book last week and am on the 3rd this week.

I don't know if the movie is just covering book 1 but if they so a sequel, and i'm sure they will, I hope they combine books 2 and 3 into one movie or it will drag too much.

Finished Book 2 last night...this one took me a while to get thru.

Slow to Start...and more going on in general...so less time to read.

Still a good read. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to movie.

I had seen this for the last few months but ignored it because it was always near the Twilight books and I thought it was another vampire series. It wasn't until I saw the preview for the movie That I picked it up and blew through it in a couple of days. Went through the 2nd book last week and am on the 3rd this week.

I don't know if the movie is just covering book 1 but if they so a sequel, and i'm sure they will, I hope they combine books 2 and 3 into one movie or it will drag too much.

The movie is only based on the first book. I read that if it does well enough, they'll make the sequels. And I kind of agree that the second two drag a bit, but they could still make two movies out of it (maybe 90 or so minutes each). Even though they dragged, I still found them quite enjoyable. I just finished the third book today.

The movie is only based on the first book. I read that if it does well enough, they'll make the sequels. And I kind of agree that the second two drag a bit, but they could still make two movies out of it (maybe 90 or so minutes each). Even though they dragged, I still found them quite enjoyable. I just finished the third book today.

I didn't like the pacing of the 3rd book or some of the content. But overall it was still a great trilogy.

I was just at Costco last night and the had the 3 book set in hard cover and also had books 1 and 2 in hard cover. Had seen the trailer for the movie and it looked good. So after reading everyones comments here I think I will pick them up. It kind of reminds me of the book called the Lottry that I read way back when...

Kevin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter