Anyone going Geocaching this weekend? **NEW CACHERS...POP IN!**

tiggerlover said:
Sounds like it turned into a great afternoon. How exciting to find anything, let alone a lottery ticket!! Hope you have many more happy finds in your future!
Thanks, Debbi! :)

DH got into geocaching early this spring, and now I'm enjoying doing it with him. We were camping at Hartwick Pines a couple weeks ago and spent one whole day doing it. Went on 5 and found 4. The one we couldn't find was a 3-part cache, and we never found the first part after looking a long time for it so that was kind of disappointing.

One we found was a little girl's called "Kaitlyn's Cache" and inside were lots of little kid toys, pencils, etc. She had hidden it on Mother's Day and we were there a couple days later and others had already found it before us.

It's neat to be able to print them out, they are everywhere. We're going to be camping near the track for the Michigan NASCAR race in a couple of weeks and DH wants to print out a few from there for us to do.

It's fun to just get out and walk and look for them, a nice way to enjoy the outdoors. :sunny: And great excercise too!!!

Sounds like fun, Chattyaholic! Enjoy it! :teeth:

I see the one we didn't find yesterday was also missed by a couple other people...a couple times...one searched a total of 5 trips and 5 hours! LOL! It better be good when we find it. It's pretty small. Hmmmmmmmmm. Maybe we'll try there again today. People's comments have been that the container is unusual. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...dummy rock? Frog my son saw? LOL! Except today he said the frog hopped. LOL! I'll have to print a few others to keep us busy this afternoon. :) :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :magnify:

Thanks, Deb!! :teeth: And it is a lot of fun. :)

Headed out to one near the mall now. I've had enough of parks and bugs for the weekend. ;)

My DW and I have been geocaching for a couple years and have 119 finds. We've met a lot of great people here in the Lehigh Valley, PA. We went out today to find #120 but failed miserably on a 7-part "reverse cache". You actually go to the final cache first and get the coordinates for the other 6. The final cache has 6 combo locks on it and you must find the 3-digit combinations for each and then return to open it. We also had a few people find our latest cache hide, Jacob's Treasure, today. This has been an enjoyable hobby and has taken us, and sometimes our dogs, to many new parks and forests. We have also done a few while at WDW!
BTW, the size of the container is sort of listed on the page for each cache, in the upper right-hand corner under the part where you can log your find, etc. Micro caches are usually pretty small and range from 35mm film cannisters to luggage tags to fake rocks, etc. Regular caches are usually larger Tupperware containers, ammo boxes, etc. Cachers can be very creative so check everywhere and everything! Eventually, you'll learn to carry some items with you: mirror on a wand, magnifying glass, calculator, etc.
Good caching!

Wow, Mike! That's an adventure! And thanks for the great tips...I'll have to start doing that. I know of one I just can't find. Under the bottom of a bush (from what angle is the question) and it's apparently wired to it. :eek: :) Gave up on it today. Will have to try it again. Cracks me up that you need to be "stealthy" is the word I think someone used. Kind of difficult when the bush is at a four-way stop intersection at the mall! LOL! A mirror on a wand and a magnifying glass! Will have to get those first...THANKS!!

I'm hoping to meet new people through this. Just visited the local bunch's area on Yahoo! today. It's definitely a lot of fun.

:goodvibes This sounds like so much fun!!! Great job Sandy finding your lottery tickets! :goodvibes

Thanks, Lisa! :goodvibes We'll have to look for some today. Hmmmmmmmmmm...do I want to head to Virginia Beach or to Williamsburg area? :scratchin :teeth:

Pin Wizard said:
Thanks, Lisa! :goodvibes We'll have to look for some today. Hmmmmmmmmmm...do I want to head to Virginia Beach or to Williamsburg area? :scratchin :teeth:

OH!!! Please go to Williamsburg LOL!! I JUST called my husband at work and told him about these. He works for Staples and has them at his store but said they are major $$$$$. I told him there are less expensive ones (is that right??) I went to the website and plugged in our zip code and there are a bunch and then of course punched in Disney and found several there too!! This just looks like something that would be fun for the family to do!! :goodvibes

So, am I right...its just basically like a "treasure hunt" without the treasure (except in your case!!! :) :) with your lottery tickets!) How long does it take to find? Do you replace anything or are they just empty containers?

Thanks so much for all the info!!! :flower:

ROFL!! You're too funny, Lisa. :teeth: I've been looking at what's around and printing them off the computer. Headed out in a few minutes. I see there are some in Williamsburg, but I'll skip those for now. But we'll start around that area and work our way down to Hampton or Norfolk if we can.

To me it's a fun treasure hunt even if I just sign someone's log. If you do take something, you need to leave something. Works for me! :teeth:
My GPS? I got this one at Sports Authority for $149. They only had about three different types in stock at the time, and I wanted it NOW! LOL! ;) There was one that was a bit less $$, but it didn't have the button where you could move up, down, left, right easily on it. All depends what you want.

I always read other people's comments at www.geocaching.com since they can be good hints. Time? Depends. Some find things quickly, others go back a couple times. Plus environmental things that can throw off your coordinates...trees, tall buildings, etc.

You can definitely keep busy with this as a hobby. (Can I quit my job and make this it?) :goodvibes I'm happy my 12 year old really enjoys this. It's been tough finding something he likes to do at this age! I'm all for getting out with him.

Check in later! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I forgot to mention a flashlight, also.
dvcfamily41801: This is a treasure hunt of sorts. The caches described as "regular" size are usually Tupperware containers or ammo boxes. Each regular cache will contain various trinkets (usually of the Dollar Store variety) and a logbook. Micro caches are usually too small to contain any trinkets. When you find a regular sized cache, you sign the logbook and trade a trinket. (You don't have to trade items; some do, some don't. But, you should always sign the log book and rehide the cache as you found it.) Some caches will contain a "Travel Bug" (TB). These are dog-tag looking objects with something attached to them (like a small toy). They have a serial number stamped on them. If you take a TB, you must log it out of the cache on the Web page. You will then place it in another cache somewhere and log it in on that cache's Web page. You can actually watch them travel around the world. We started our last one here in PA. It made it to Florida and is now in the state of Washington somewhere. One of our local cache teams has one entered in a contest in which the winning TB must travel the greatest distance in one year and then return to the owner. So far, theirs (Mystical Moe) has traveled around the world to the tune of more than 27,000 miles (with the help of other local cachers)!
This is a very enjoyable sport and usually lots of fun.

I'd love to send a TB out. It would so interesting to see all the places it goes!

Didn't have luck finding anything this weekend. I know I was "right there" at a couple places at least. Just wasn't the day to find them. Will have to go back. But today I found one I've been searching for a couple weeks! LOL! And that's thanks to a tip from a person that previously found it...that is part of my reason for doing it...meeting new people! :) This was a micro. A camoflaged 35mm canister with just the paper to sign and 50 cents. :) Just signed the log, didn't have anything small enough to fit in there. Soooooooooooooo glad we finally found it! :cool1:

No Geocaching this weekend. Last weekend was enough with the ticks. :crazy: But today I was reading about a cache where someone included a $10 gift certificate to Starbucks for the first to find!!! :idea: I'm getting ideas for setting one up!! :idea: Wish I found that one. LOL! Maybe next weekend. I need a weekend off from the bugs. :laughing:

Went out today made it 6 for 6. 4 micros, 2 regular. 95 degrees. This is really getting addictive but I do agree with a previous poster that it's hard to find things to do with teens and dd13 and dd15 love it, so for now, we'll keep at it!

Congrats, hdecker! :teeth: Glad your kids are having a good time with it. Sometimes DS tells me he doesn't want to go, but once we're out there, he has a great time. You found six! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Did okay yesterday. :teeth: Going out again today...helps to ignore Father's Day. ;)

Anyone else?

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Just got back from a quick geo-meet to get one of the new White Jeeps travel bugs. Sadly, we arrived after they had all been given out. But we get to count the meet anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter