Anyone go to US/IOA while staying at a DVC villa?

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of having my family go to either OKW or SSR Christmas week in 2006. We've never been to US or IOA, but I know my DH and two of my sons would love to try it. I don't want to spend the extra money to stay on-site there, however, and I'm just wondering how reasonable it would be to think that they could drive over (we will have our van) in the a.m. to be there at opening and see what they can using the "fast pass" system Universal has. I would probably get them (or all of us) the 2 day with the extra day pass.

Anyone with any experience? I'd appreciate it!

I kept an annual pass of US/IOA and SW. they are much, much cheaper than WDW annual passes.

Yes it is not a bad drive. with I4 or ID - it around 30 minutes could be less or more depending upon traffic.

Now once you are arrive at their parking ($8 to park) - then you are still about 1/2 mile from either theme park. So be prepared to walk!!!

if you have teens don't even bother with US -go directly to IOA.

Thanks for responding so fast Pat! I have two DS's (12.5 and 17, by then) and they absolutely love thrill rides. DH enjoys them, too. So, would you say that one day at IOA is enough for them to experience something different (you can see by my signature that they've been to WDW many times. I'm hoping Everest will be open by then, too. DD will be 15, and she finally did rollercoasters and thrill rides this summer at WDW. I do NOT like any thrill rides. I'm not even sure if I should get a ticket for myself or not.

While the drive is easy you want to do this Christmas Week? I would think those parks are as busy as Disney and that you will have a hard time, even with the fast pass system, given that their onsite guests get the preferred fast pass.

JMHO. Or just my honest Guess!

the 17 should love IOA.

I am not certain about the 12.5 - IOA can be very overpowering. It was designed for teenagers and young adults.

If might be overpowering for your 15 - if she doesn't love thrill rides.

even their children rides - I wrote Dr Suezz thinking it would be like the disney rides - peter pan or it a small world - WRONG - this thing throws you around BIG time.

US has either great rides - back to the future or boring ones - their tornado leaves alot out. It is not exciting at all.

I live in Al and we have tornadoes - I have lost a home to one of these monsters and this ride is a joke. (which by the way in not a ride - but a walk through)

I haven't seem the new Mummies rides yet - that is on the schedule for Sept.

Kathleena is probably correct.

I don't go to US/IOA during popular times. The FOLE that the hotel guests get is definitely better than the ones you can buy.

you get a couple of free fast passes - but you can buy more.

The Mummy ride (at US) is great; don't miss it!! I think there's a single rider line for the Mummy, so if your party doesn't mind splitting up, you could save time with that. US and IOA are great parks - enjoy!!

We've been AP holders at US/IOA since 2001. We went last Christmas week (actually stayed for 16 nights) and stayed at VWL.

We went to US/IOA and if you go early, you will not have problems getting on the rides. One thing about FOTL, is that their guests are not lined up to get into the parks at opening, because they can show up whenever and go to the front of the line, so you will mostly have to contend with other offsiters.

I would recommend both parks highly. IOA has lots of water rides and if its cold that can be a problem. Spiderman (single rider line) is worth the price of admission and then throw in Hulk and a few others for extra value.
At US, we were really impressed with Terminator 2 and The Mummy (single rider line) as well as MIB (single rider line) and Shrek and Jimmy Neutron.

I say arrive eary and use their version of Fastpass (the free kind) to do all the major rides. Use single rider if the line is too long (where available).

We really like US/IOA but not enough to pay extra lodging ($200 per night and up) to get FOTL so we always stay at DVC and drive over.

We haven't renewed our US/IOA AP's yet this year, because the DVC discount on AP's is bringing the cost more inline with US/IOA AP's and because we were told that our renewal would start immediately, unlike previous years where we could stretch the AP out over 2 years and not activate it until our next trip.

US isn't as 'thrilling' as IOA , BUT MUMMY and Shrek are two rides not to be missed...and they are both at US.

I LOVE roller coasters, but agree that the IOA Hulk and Dueling Dragons is pretty intense. Spidy was good, but I was expecting so much that I was actually a bit disappointed. We went on Mother's Day..it was surprisingly empty and we did both parks, some rides 3 times each, in one day. Of course, Xmas week will probaby be quite crowded, so be sure to plan and use FOTL and single ride lines!

My husband and boys 12 and 14 at the time did travel over for a day trip to IOA. We had AP's but they weren't offering good hotel discounts so they just went for the day while we were staying at the BWV's. While I'm not sure what the holiday week would be like, its not a large park in regards to the number of rides. My crew went 2 Sat. before Christmas this past year and rode everything multiple times (2-6) and were back to the BWV's by 4pm.

US, SW and WDW are all easily accessible one to the other. I don't know about US APs but SW's are very reasonable and it makes for a nice change from WDW for a day or two per trip.

I have gone to US/IOA several times and I always stay onsite. I leave Disney early in the morning and check in for 1 night , the room probably won't be ready but you can take the room key and walk to the head of the line for 2 days ( check-in day and check out day). I am sure it would be worth it for that week with the anticipated crowds. A couple of years ago I did it in early December and the park was dead so it was a waste of money, but I wouldn't question the value on Christmas week. WE also just stayed July 4th weekend and well worth the money. We stay DVC Sun-Fri and check in on Fri to US.

I thought the Mummy was incredible and think if the 12 yr old likes thrills he will be ok. The ride doesn't go upside down at all, not too intense, you may even like it. There is no pixie dust here and I can only take 2 days at a time at US/IOA, but they do have some great rides!!

Wow, thanks for everyone's comments! I'll have to check the pricing of onsite hotels for one night to see if I think FOTL is worth it. I'll just consider it as their holiday gift, otherwise they'll have to get up early from OKW! I was sort of thinking what LIFERBABE said about onsite guests will be sleeping in later.

You may also want to check if they will be limiting the number of times you can go to the front of the line until 3 pm. They have been known to do this with no warning until you check in. The Loews properties are nice we have done all three on property twice each time staying on the club floors but if you are booking solely for the FOTL perk make sure its what you wil expect. We haven't been back on preperty at Universal since they started limiting the FOTL and not warning people , we just go for a day trip while staying at Disney. But kids 10 and up will love IOA!!!!

SnowWitch said:
You may also want to check if they will be limiting the number of times you can go to the front of the line until 3 pm. They have been known to do this with no warning until you check in. The Loews properties are nice we have done all three on property twice each time staying on the club floors but if you are booking solely for the FOTL perk make sure its what you wil expect. We haven't been back on preperty at Universal since they started limiting the FOTL and not warning people , we just go for a day trip while staying at Disney. But kids 10 and up will love IOA!!!!

On July 4th weekend we were told that we could not ride the same attraction with in 15 minutes. That was told to us by the people on the lines not at the hotels. We usally only rode once anyway before moving on to the next. Than we redo our favorites. I don't like to take advantage of the system either.

I know they sell the front of the line access tickets for $15.00, I think. The only problem is...1) they are limited in number and 2) you can only go on each ride one time.

Front of the line is an incredible option and well worth the extra $$$. We always stay on site and love the option.

Kim

I went to both parks on January and purchased the FOTL ticket or express pass for 15.99/adult while I stayed on Disney property. Yes, you only get to use it once per ride, but you can always get an extra pass at the regular booths. Know, if your kids have never been there, I would definetely make sure they get to see both parks. IOA has the best ride in all of the Orlando area, Spiderman, some great rollercosters and water rides that kids your ages will enjoy a lot. We went with my nephew who is only 9 and for him (thrill lover), this was the BEST park he has ever been. He got really upset because he wasn't tall enough for Hulk. Can't wait to take him in a couple of years to enjoy that great coaster.
US doesn't have so many thrilling attractions, but it still is a great park nonetheless. The mummy, Shrek, Terminator 3, Men in Black, Jimmy Neutron ride and Back to the future (that's my order of preference) are great, fun and entertaining. The good thing about the express pass system is that you don't have to walk that much through the park to go from one ride to the other in order to get the fastpasses as you have to do in Disney. In january we got the parks a little before 11 and by 6 we were done. You can then take some time to walk around Citywalk which have great restaurants and shops. It is no DTD (the best), but it's at least something different.
Check on current offers before booking. You might find that it's better to buy a special promotion ticket than buying the whole package. When we went, for each adult ticket they have us a child ticket. I think right now they have an offer that if you buy a 2-day ticket you can go to the park for 5.

If anyone's still reading this thread (maybe I need to ask this elsewhere), but where did you buy your passes? Ticketmania? Or are the US/IOA special tickets through US?

BikeFan said:
The Mummy ride (at US) is great; don't miss it!! I think there's a single rider line for the Mummy, so if your party doesn't mind splitting up, you could save time with that. US and IOA are great parks - enjoy!!
I agree! We stay onsite at DVC and still go to US and IOA. With the express pass system and single rider lines for many rides, we can always get on the rides we want. Mummy is the BEST ride and I'm not a roller coaster (read Hulk) fan....we would do US just for the Mummy and Men in Black! The theming and story line is so great on Mummy not to mention the ride itself. Since US and IOA close earlier than Disney, we many times will start there and end at Disney, especially with evening EMH making the days even longer. At IOA don't miss Spiderman!!
That being said, we haven't done either Disney or US/IOA over Christmas and think that would be a horribly busy time to see US/IOA for the first time.

mickeymom629 said:
If anyone's still reading this thread (maybe I need to ask this elsewhere), but where did you buy your passes? Ticketmania? Or are the US/IOA special tickets through US?

You buy the FOTL pass at the park. I could be wrong, but I think you can buy them at Universalstudios.com. Click on theme parks, florida and tickets.

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter