Anyone get surprise with their AncestryDNA results?

I haven't done the DNA testing. I'm from a Jewish Eastern European background. People with similar backgrounds I know have tested and it has come back 100% Eastern European but nothing more specific than that. However through ancestory.com and facebook we have "found" many relatives. Most recently my dd16 has reached out to relatives in Sweden who are 20 and 24. Their parents are able to confirm that they are related to a same relative as us. My husband is their 2nd cousin once removed so I'm not sure what that makes my daughter. The mutual relative is my husband's great uncle whom his father knew. The 20 year old is planning to visit Berklee School of Music in Boston and since we live near Boston we may get to meet her.

The interesting thing we found on their family tree is that while Dh knows about his grandfather and great uncle they have two more siblings that dh has never known about. Unfortunately we can't ask dh's father since he has Alzheimer's disease. Since this is a Disney board the fascinating thing we have learned is that the girls and their parents have done lots of voice overs for Disney movies when they change the English to Swedish.

I've seen a lot of discussions about this type situation. People are shocked to discover that their "family folklore" is what isn't accurate. I haven't done the test, but I know that DD's research has debunked more than one aspect of my family history. One was, my Grandmother got on a ship in England, and when she arrived in Ellis Island 8 days later, she was 10 years younger!

A co-worker did it but refused to check whatever link is on it that suggests possible relatives. As he put it.."my dad was in the navy, and I don't want to know about any half-siblings"
I've heard the same thing. I've also read a story from a Native American living on a reservation. Her brother's test showed no Native American. It wasn't a situation of their Mom lying about his father. Their Mom is Native American. I've actually read several stories like this, which makes me skeptical at least where NA ancestry is concerned with this test.

As for the list of possible relatives, our DS checked his. There wasn't anyone with DH's or my parent's last names on the list. It was really bizarre.

I had a few surprises. One was no American Indian. Two, only a few real regions. I really expected to be a mutt. Mom's side has been in the US for a real long time, but 95% of my DNA s from just three regions. Finally, I am 30% European Jewish, which I had never heard a peep about. My dad had older parents, and was born near the end of WWII, so I started wondering if he was one of the babies saved somehow, but after looking at shared matches I found genetic relatives on his mom's side. I find it interesting and will probably try to contact some 3rd and 4th cousins to see if they can help me figure it out.

I took it a couple of years ago. No real surprises as I hadn't known who I was anyway. I am an adoptee, although I was always just told I was Irish.

Test came back: (roughly since I can't pull it up at the moment)

70% Irish/British Isles
25% Northern European
1% Asian
1% African
3% Unknown

I'm no expert but there are other DNA tests available. If you're unsure of your results you should try one of the other tests and compare the results. Also, I'm surprised someone would use Ancestry DNA for paternity testing. There are other tests that are intended for that purpose.

https://www.exploringlifesmysteries.com/23andme-vs-ancestry-vs-ftdna-vs-geno-2-0/

If you're referring to my post, it involves a man in his eighties. All of his siblings and most nieces and nephews have done the Ancestry testing, with the same woman popping up in the appropriate branch in relation to each of them, so the brothers are taking the testing to see what happens. One brother was out of the country serving in the military during the entirety of the window of conception (and then some). I understand a paternity test requires testing of both parties, but as contact has not been made with the potential "child" he's decided to utilize the Ancestry testing like the rest of the family to see what happens.

I've actually read several stories like this, which makes me skeptical at least where NA ancestry is concerned with this test..

Kind of interesting reading on this actually. The TEST is 99.9% accurate. However the GENETIC PROFILES they use are kind of broad, because at this point of human evolution, the gene pool is soo large that two people can be 100% of of the same ethnic makeup but have vastly different genetic characteristics.

I've heard forensic biologists testify about DNA many, many times. Zzzzzzzzzz. I believe the statistic is that every human has 99% of the exact DNA as every other human and all of the characteristics used to identify individual DNA is within that 1% we each carry. I believe humans are also something like 60% the same as bananas and some human bodily fluids in trace amounts can sometimes be nearly impossible to distinguish from things like green beans. Seems fascinating -- until you have to listen to the hows and the whys. Like I said, Zzzzzzz, at least for me.

I'm big into genealogy and studying for my certification. I have yet to do this but since I'm 100% of my documented background I'm not that curious. My 1st cousin once removed did get it done and it did not show any hint of the rumoured First Nations in her grandmother (my great grandmother). I would like to do it to add to my ancestry.ca tree but not rushing to do it.

I haven't done it yet but am planning on it. I'm Puerto Rican so I'm curious as to what will come up. My great grandfather was afro Puerto Rican. My great grandma who just died a few years ago had a French last name. My last name is of Greek origin. I'm first generation born in the states on my mother's side and my father is the first on his side. I know it's going to be a bunch of different things coming up.

I had a friend that did. Hers did not match with what nationality her father was. Her and her brother then did an over the count DNA test. They found out that he is not their father.

I did 23 And Me and the only thing that was a little surprising is I have 1.1% West African ancestry. Otherwise I'm 98.8% European, with most of that being British and Irish, with some French and German sprinkled in.

I know of two families more than a little in shock, and some turmoil, because of results received. Both cases also happen to debunk claims of Native American ancestry as well. it's now known that one claim of Native American ancestry was made to explain the distinctly different appearance of a baby from both parents and all other relatives. When the results were received and questions asked the mother, all her sisters and the baby who is now a grandparent refuse to speak one word if asked about the results.

The other case I know of is in DH's family. It's resulted in DH's uncles taking tests to determine if one of them is a father because of a link that's popped up to someone else. My MIL is upset that the testing debunked the family legend about Native American heritage, as well as extreme annoyance that my DH's and BIL's results showed a result my FIL is famous for disliking and mocking. It also happens to be one of the many parts of my heritage. He insists the results are incorrect, despite the fact DH and BIL took the tests individually and at separate times and refuses to test himself because "they'll just mess it up again".

Interesting. My mom did one of these tests and it found that she had 0% Native American ancestry as well. My grandfather had always told us that he was 100% Native American, and even registered us all as members of a tribe. He has passed away, as has all of his generation in our family, so I guess we'll never know. But it was sure a surprise.

I got my results back a few weeks ago and no big surprises. I've done a bunch of my own genealogy so was pretty sure what to expect there, but I'm most excited to connect with some of the individuals I matched with. I have a few second cousins on my list that I already know and some third cousins I know and some I don't and then a few hundred matches beyond that so I figure I have a good chance to connect with some relatives :)

Oh - and our family's Native American myth was busted too - 0% for me and my cousins I know that have been tested. From everything I've read on it, many families that have the NA storyline really don't have any heritage. For myself, I had already pretty well decided it was debunked from my research, but still fun to see the results.

I haven't done it yet but am planning on it. I'm Puerto Rican so I'm curious as to what will come up. My great grandfather was afro Puerto Rican. My great grandma who just died a few years ago had a French last name. My last name is of Greek origin. I'm first generation born in the states on my mother's side and my father is the first on his side. I know it's going to be a bunch of different things coming up.
This, exactly! I used to be big into genealogy, and I hit a dead end because they did not keep good records in Puerto Rico. I have a few census files on DVD but they are so hard to read!! I'm guessing that my mother's side will come up as mostly European Spaniard (my cousin did it and her's was mostly Sephardic Jew), but I'm more curious about my dad's side--my grandmother told me that her grandmother was a slave. I'd like to see if the African DNA shows up.

Poodle/German Shepard. Actually, if I google my maiden name, or look on ancestry.com, the only names that pop up are my family members, including those that are documented at Ellis Island (great grandparents, aunts, uncles). They came from Germany, although it is a Jewish sounding name (I used to work for a company with a lot of Jewish employees, including the founders), and they always wished me well at the holidays.

I'm 3/4 Filipino and 1/4 White. I've been told that I'm German but since my birth grandfather is never talked about, I always went by that assumption.

Right now they are processing my sample, so we will see what the results say.

Side note, I was told the name of my birth grandfather and I did do some research that gave 2 possible people with that name. One was listed as Belgian.

I did have a thought though about tracking down using the other features of ancestry dna/facebook, any "long lost family" but have decided against it as it could ruin memories, legacies of him.

I'm not sure how anyone would react to, "Hey, I'm your relative."

Results showed 14% Caucasus and 8% Ashkenazi Jew...both were a surprise. The rest was expected.

We have visited Eastern Europe quite a few times, over the past 6-7 years. I've had people on several occasions, assume that I was Russian.:confused: My answer was always no, after they repeated the question in English. ;) I have no documented relation ANYWHERE in that part of world. Although, now I have my suspicions...narrowed it down to 2-3 branches of the family.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter