• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever managed to change a GT cabin assignment?

Cheburashka

Momketeer
I was ready for any level & location of cabin I could have gotten within my oceanview category on the Magic. Unfortunately, I didn't know that DCL might assign me a handicap cabin, and that's exactly what they did. Yuck! I really, really, do not want this cabin. I want a bathtub, and I want the typical room configuration, which this room does not have (I've checked the reviews). I am at the point where I am actually ready to bail on the cruise if I'm stuck with this cabin. It's a solo getaway cruise to try to de-stress from a terrible, traumatic year, and I was planning to spend a lot of time in the cabin. Disliking the cabin would ruin the trip for me.

This makes me crazy because I'm really not picky about the room, with the one exception of simply wanting a normal cabin like almost everyone else onboard gets to have. I didn't even realize that they gave HC cabins to non-handicapped people. That doesn't seem very nice as a handicapped person might want to book and find nothing available since the HC rooms are being given away- the cruise is still a month away. It's technically a top of category cabin, and I would be totally happy with a lowest in category cabin if it just weren't HC. I'm planning to call Disney tomorrow and ask for help with this. Has anyone out there ever had any luck getting a GT cabin changed in advance? I've read that port upgrades haven't been available so I doubt that would work, and I'm not flying out there just to see, regardless. I want to know in advance that I'll have a normal cabin.

Last edited:
DCL frequently assigns handicap cabins to *GT clients. They are not made available through the regular booking search results, unless the user asks specifically for that option, so they are often available when room assignments are made. They are assigned since they figure that if a client really needed it, he would have booked it already.

Your odds of getting a room change are better at this time then when they are sailing with full ships, and it has been reported here over the years that some have been able to get a change of assignment, but do not expect them to do so. They take into account many variables when assigning rooms, mainly lifeboat occupancy, so unless there is an obvious option where they can put you, I doubt they will go through the trouble to do so, considering that *GT rates are non-refundable and that it is understood in the rules that you can get any room on the ship. The fact that you are a solo cruiser is of course to your advantage.

I’ve ended up With HA cabins several times booking GT rates. Since I agreed to the rules when booking this discounted rate, I’ve never tried to change and just dealt with it. I do always find a positive in every cabin I stay in. I've had roll-In shower many times, but not by choice. Post back if you’re successful.

DCL frequently assigns handicap cabins to *GT clients.
I really wish I'd known this because I never would have booked GT. I've booked GT twice before and got normal cabins each time. I thought handicapped cabins were actually reserved for the handicapped, so they would have the opportunity to cruise, as well. I could see how DCL might assign HA cabins to the able-bodied just a week or so before the cruise, but my cruise is a full month away. There's still plenty of time for someone to want to book.

I really wish I'd known this because I never would have booked GT. I've booked GT twice before and got normal cabins each time. I thought handicapped cabins were actually reserved for the handicapped, so they would have the opportunity to cruise, as well. I could see how DCL might assign HA cabins to the able-bodied just a week or so before the cruise, but my cruise is a full month away. There's still plenty of time for someone to want to book.
If they put you in it, it’s because they have more HA rooms that statistically they would expect to sell before the cruise. Also GT assignments sometimes can change before the cruise as DCL readjusts their guest placements, so if they really needed it, they could reassign it. So I wouldn’t try to persuade DCL they should move you because a HA person might need the room—that won’t get much traction. We used to have a GT room assignment tracking thread on this board and HA rooms were a pretty common assignment, because, as others noted, they can’t be booked online so often sail empty. They most likely put you in it because you are single and only need one bed and an adult so can shower standing up, whereas a family with small kids needs the pull down beds and a bathtub.

The silver lining is that HA rooms can feel more spacious. And the bathtubs on the ship are too small for a relaxing adult bath anyway—they are really sized for kids.

I suggest when you call in, emphasize you realize you made a mistake and hadn’t realized your room might not be a standard room, and ask very nicely. It’s been a traumatic year for a lot of guests and I wouldn’t be surprised if they might throw a little pixie dust your way.

We have been assigned HA cabin, VGT, and ended up in corner cabin with wrap around verandah which was awesome. Wish you luck in getting it changed.

us too. The veranda made up for the roll in shower, which wasn’t really a big deal for us, except the wet floor.

Count me among those who are curious to know how you make out. We also did GT once and got the tubless room. My husband is not a good sleeper and looks forward to a hot bath each night to help him fall asleep. I felt bad that while I saved us some money he lost a bath.

Really curious on the room #..

This room has a big window, but as it's an oceanview there is no verandah, so there's not going to be a wraparound veranda benefit to this stateroom. Bigger window does not make up for no bathtub, yucky wet bathroom floor half the time, and a room that feels strange & unfamiliar when I just want to feel comfortable- the whole point of the trip for me.

Last edited:
P

This room has a big window, which I don't really care about, but as it's an oceanview there is no verandah. Bigger window does not make up for no bathtub, yucky wet bathroom floor half the time, and a room that feels strange & unfamiliar when I just want to feel comfortable- the whole point of the trip for me.
That's a pretty big stateroom. I've been assigned a HA cabin once for a concierge upgrade at the port which I believe was 8600 on the Magic. Huge stateroom with very large deck.

That's a pretty big stateroom. I've been assigned a HA cabin once for a concierge upgrade at the port which I believe was 8600 on the Magic. Huge stateroom with very large deck.
Well, this is an oceanview stateroom with no deck at all so that isn't a bonus. I'll be sailing solo so I don't need a big room. I would much rather have a decent bathroom with a tub, rather than a shower with no lip that will cause the entire bathroom floor to get wet and mucky every time I shower.

Last edited:
Have to admit I’m surprised they were willing to change but very happy for you!
Enjoy every moment of your cruise.

We have been assigned HA cabin, VGT, and ended up in corner cabin with wrap around verandah which was awesome. Wish you luck in getting it changed.

This was my thought. I'd love a HA cabin if it were with a verandah. They are huge. I'd ask if you can upgrade to VGT. Maybe they'll help you. If you've had an awful year, the fresh air at sea will do wonders for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter