• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else think they should require CC hold for ADRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlk806

DanceDisneyGirl
Especially during free dining, I think they should require a CC hold for ADRs that if you cancel in X amount of time (usually 24 hours) no penalty. I think that would completely encourage people to only make the ADRs they are really going to use and would encourage them to actually cancel the ones they arent going to use. Some people (who even admit it on this site!) make more ADRs than they'll even use just so they can "eat where they feel like at that moment" which is not fair to people who are really trying to get ADRs at all and then they dont bother to cancel it because there is no penalty so no one else can get the res either! I know the people who like to make the extra ADRs wouldnt want this to happen but I think it would be more fair and give people more of a chance to get the ressies they want!

Sorry I disagree and I DO NOT make extra ADRs.

Many people do not have a CC nor do they like to put a hold on it 180 days out. I understand that what you are suggesting won't charge the card until the no show. But I do not think it would discourage those who "work" the system.
It would be just as easy for someone to make the extra ADRs then cancel a couple days before when it is closer to their trip.

Yes it would give a couple days notice but that is it. Realistically how many of us check everyday for that elusive ADR right up until we leave? Not that many it would make a difference.
So it would only impact those who try and walk up....yay for them...or the last minute checker.

Personally I would not want to have to give my CC info for every ADR I make.

I also disagree and I have never made more ADR's than what I intended to use.

It would take longer to make ADR's and if you can still cancel within 24 hours without charge, people who want to make multiple ADR's for the same meal will still do it, just making sure to cancel by the deadline. It won't make it any easier at 90 days out or 30 days out to get those desired ADR's.

Honestly, I think the number of people who make more ADR's than the plan to keep are a small minority.

I do hear what you are saying. I had to give a CC hold for Akershus Breakfast but not Ohana or Chef Mickeys which I think are almost more popular so I dont understand why they charge for the one but not other just as or more popular restaurants. I personally think that just the hassle alone of having to put a hold would deter the "extra reservationists". I know most people dont do it but it sort of irritates me when I read one post of a lady who said she made a reservation each day, one for lunch one for dinner both at same restaurant so they could just "decide" that day which one they felt like. I made all my ressies 180 days out and got what I wanted, but our cousins family who is travelling with us didnt get a few of the good ones when she made them a week later. I know it will probably not happen but just a thought.

I think they should for the hardest to get ressies. Ohauna, CRT, Le Cellier, etc... for those of us who are trying to get it and can't because someone can't make up their mind when and where they want to eat.

I think they should for the hardest to get ressies. Ohauna, CRT, Le Cellier, etc... for those of us who are trying to get it and can't because someone can't make up their mind when and where they want to eat.

This. It's so frustrating reading about so many people booking multiple ADRs because "it's so hard to plan 180 days out. I won't know what I want to eat" and then they probably just don't show up for any of them, yet I can't get Ohana at any point in a 9 night trip in October.

:) I think when free dinning goes away this may improve. Hopefully the food and service will (although we always get good service and are pleased with the food), since many folks complain about the quality. I can see getting a pin code for a discount but not free--I made all the ADRs at 180 days except one which I made a couple of months ago. But we go annually and know exactly what we want to try and where we are going to eat. We did not do free dinning even before we bought into DVC. I just feel sorry for the people that aren't Disneyphiles that maybe don't know about free dinning or the need to have ADRs, have waited their whole like to see Disney then can't eat at a special place.....but alas, not everyone is a planner like me.

To me ADRs are as important as getting my MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets ahead--it is just the way I roll.

This. It's so frustrating reading about so many people booking multiple ADRs because "it's so hard to plan 180 days out. I won't know what I want to eat" and then they probably just don't show up for any of them, yet I can't get Ohana at any point in a 9 night trip in October.
These people drive me a little crazy. Seriously? Check out the menus, as long as there's something you know you will eat there, deal with it. And it's probably not going to be the only meal they eat that day. It's really not that complicated.

As for CC holds for ADRs... I wouldn't have a problem with it. At least for a few more of the popular restaurants. I don't personally double book but, if it meant that other guests and myself would have a better chance to get some of our most desired choices, I would happily put a CC hold on any of my ADRs.

I do understand your frustration and I think alot more people hold extra ressies "just in case", I just don't believe people are going to admit it

I personally wouldn't want to give out my CC info every time i make a ressie, but I do wish there was more sophisticated software that wouldn't allow people to make multiple reservations ! I also wish Disney would have the park calendars ready when it's time to make your ADR's or even better would be to not allow ADR's until 60 or even 30 days out

I personally DON'T have a credit card... So no, I don't agree with needing one to make reservations. I do think its wrong to make multiple reservations instead of taking the time and effort to plan your vacation.

.... even better would be to not allow ADR's until 60 or even 30 days out

This would solve the problem, or at least help quite a bit.

Even if the system could be changed to prevent the multi and cancelled bookings, someone will just figure out a way to circumvent it. So, it's just like the rest of the world - it comes down to greed and personal responsibility.

I'd go a lot further than most people. I would love to see the following:

1) Not only a CC "hold" for every ADR, I would like to see them charge a non-refundable fee for each ADR at the time you book it. I would be okay with this being treated as a "deposit" on you meal, where the fee gets applied to yor bill. If you're on the DP, yes you'll have to order some type of "extra" (appy, alcoholic beverage, etc).

2) The 180 days reduced to 45 days

3) A no-show fee

I'd go a lot further than most people. I would love to see the following:

1) Not only a CC "hold" for every ADR, I would like to see them charge a non-refundable fee for each ADR at the time you book it. I would be okay with this being treated as a "deposit" on you meal, where the fee gets applied to yor bill. If you're on the DP, yes you'll have to order some type of "extra" (appy, alcoholic beverage, etc).

2) The 180 days reduced to 45 days

3) A no-show fee

I agree with at least reducing the window back to 90 days like last year, and a no-show fee, but I dont really think the non-refundable fee would be fair. I myself have changed a few of my ressies around since originally making them. I never overbook them, but there were a couple instances in planning the trip as it got closer we decided we wanted to try one place over another, switch a dinner to a lunch, etc and there is nothing wrong with that as I am always sure I cancel the one I am not going to use and replace it with the one I want instead. The non-refundable fee wouldnt be fair. For no-show, no-cancel then yes fine, but not just for every ADR.

I disagree. There are a lot of people that do not have credit cards so they won't be able make ADRs at all. People that currently purposely abuse the system will still make multiple ADRs but now they'll cancel them 24 hours in advance which is not going to help most people looking for ADRs. I also wouldn't trust Disney to handle this properly. I have read countless threads about cards being charged erroneously and the efforts made to correct things like that resulted in cancelled ADRs, etc.

I would not support a blanket policy of a cc hold for every ADR with a 24 hour cancellation policy. But I would be very happy with a system that would not allow double bookings. Currently the system merely asks if you wish to cancel this double booking. I have never double booked. I'd have no problem with a couple more of the most popular restaurants being added to the short list of ADRs that require a CC at booking.

My reasons for objecting to the 24 hour cancellation notice or penalty is that you never know when someone may become ill and you simply have to cancel and then perhaps pay for room service (at double credits) for the rest of the party. Also, when we make a winter trip to WDW we might wish to have a back-up plan for TS versus a CS with only outdoor seating. I cancel that TS the morning of the dining day once I see if the weather is fine for the CS that is really my first choice.

For the folks opposed to the CC requirement - how do you book (or do you not have interest in) any of the current cancellation requirement places? Additionally, if you don't have a CC, do you carry a check card?

As for some of the more stringent points, I think you're missing some concerns:
1) No double booking - how do you define double booking? If a party of 4 has two reservations at the same time, but two people each, is that a double booking? Also, what of the folks that want to get dinner at one place and dessert at another? Unless you are going to force the restaurants to offer takeout, you are denying them valid and viable customers.

2) Non-refundable fees would likely not get you very far. Why? I have a hard time believing that you would see many people willing to pay a cover charge to eat at Dis restaurants. Additionally, the result would be that people would avoid making reservations at "lesser" restaurants, in the hopes that their preferred restaurant had an opening. The result would be greater chaos and waiting times at those same lesser restaurants when groups realize there will be no opening at LC and decide they want to eat dinner at Biergarten at 5pm. Instead of an organized spread, you will have masses. To try and charge a no show fee on top of that would be incredulous. It would go far beyond the standards imposed by world class restaurants, which nobody would ever accuse Nine Dragons of being.

I don't have a problem with a no show/late cancellation fee on its own. I would even offer a tier. Cancel more than 24 hours, and no charge. Cancel between T-24 and T-6 and pay $5. Cancel T-6 and pay $10. Since you would have more last minute type cancellations, offer the on site reservation system (like they used to have at Epcot). Sure, you wouldn't have as many ADRs, but you would still have full houses, and it would still be organized.

I don't think so. I don't even like giving my CC for CRT or any of the shows. I don't dbl-book, I think that's just rude. It would be nice if the system just didn't allow people to do this. I also don't like the idea of no-show fees. What if someone gets sick before an ADR and you can make it...now you are missing a meal PLUS have to pay a penalty for it. This happened to us one morning before breakfast and I did call and cancel our ADR, at least a walk up could have our time.

At the end of the day, in whatever form, the system/process should be structured so that the only ADRs are by people who know with near-certainty that they will be attending that meal. If you truly intend on following through with an ADR there should be no fear in leaving a CC hold. In addition, that CC should be checked by Disney every 2 weeks because I can see some of you obtaining a new CC, using it for ADRs 180 days out and then cancelling it.

Yes, last minute things do happen, like a few people are always quick to point out. And if those types of things do happen, you probably have bigger concerns than a $5/head or so fee.

I knew my idea of a non-refunable ADR fee would go over like a lead balloon. But I think it would greatly diminish the number of ADRs made - particularly way in advance. This is a good thing. You want to double and triple book until you can make up your mind? Go ahead, but it will cost you. Someone will say that it hurts Disney because the restaurants will be empty, but that's just nonsense. There will be lots of ADRs made within a couple of weeks for each date as people's schedules get finalized, and there will always be plenty of walk-ups to make up any difference. It would probably result in less empty tables than there are now.

Still, I will always believe that the biggest culprit is the 180 days. If it were 45 days (chosen becuase you'll have paid for your package, so you know you're going - too many people book ADRs even though it may only be 50/50 that they actually go on the vacation), yes there will be alot more people online/on the phone...but once you know that, instead of making that second/back-up ADR for the same night, you'd be wise to just move on to the next night.

I knew my idea of a non-refunable ADR fee would go over like a lead balloon. But I think it would greatly diminish the number of ADRs made - particularly way in advance. This is a good thing. You want to double and triple book until you can make up your mind? Go ahead, but it will cost you. Someone will say that it hurts Disney because the restaurants will be empty, but that's just nonsense. There will be lots of ADRs made within a couple of weeks for each date as people's schedules get finalized, and there will always be plenty of walk-ups to make up any difference. It would probably result in less empty tables than there are now.

I still think the trouble with your proposal is that it supposes that people will be willing to pay non-refundable fee to eat at a location. If said fee was credited towards food/beverage/tax/tip/cashed out, there would be fewer problems. As it is, not only are people being expected to pay what amounts to a cover charge (of course, if you want to kill DDP, this isn't a bad idea), but it runs contrary to standard business practices. In the real world, you will have high demand locations require a CC guaranty, but I have yet to see one that had such a deposit. If such a system was industry standard, I think you might have better luck.

Additionally, you are supposing that Disney will have the capacity to deal with same-day walkups at the "lesser" locations. Think of it this way - if people are being charged to made an ADR to ND, they aren't going to bother. But, on park day, when they get hungry at 5pm they find other restaurants are full. That means that they are going to go with the lesser place. But, since lots of people will get hungry at the same time, open-5 will be far below capacity, 5-7:30 will see long waits, and after 7:30 will be catchup. The current, no fee, system encourages people to make an ADR for a less preferred time as a backup in case they can't get an ADR or walkup to the preferred location. If they get what they want, they can let it go without fear.

But, I will propose a compromise. Charge a fee. But, the fee is refundable if you call 24h in advance to cancel. Additionally, if you make the reservation within 24h of the meal, there is no fee to make the reservation. That will encourage folks to cancel ahead of time, just as the current CRT/etc set ups do. Additionally, it will still encourage people to make ADRs instead of walking up.

Still, I will always believe that the biggest culprit is the 180 days. If it were 45 days (chosen becuase you'll have paid for your package, so you know you're going - too many people book ADRs even though it may only be 50/50 that they actually go on the vacation), yes there will be alot more people online/on the phone...but once you know that, instead of making that second/back-up ADR for the same night, you'd be wise to just move on to the next night.

I like this idea. The 180 days put me in a position where the responsible thing for me to do was book the ADRs while finalizing the actual package. Heck, I booked a CRT before I even started working on the package. I ended up cancelling it, but I knew that at 60 days I needed to make the reservation just in case.

But, I will propose a compromise. Charge a fee. But, the fee is refundable if you call 24h in advance to cancel. Additionally, if you make the reservation within 24h of the meal, there is no fee to make the reservation. That will encourage folks to cancel ahead of time, just as the current CRT/etc set ups do. Additionally, it will still encourage people to make ADRs instead of walking up.

I like this idea. The 180 days put me in a position where the responsible thing for me to do was book the ADRs while finalizing the actual package. Heck, I booked a CRT before I even started working on the package. I ended up cancelling it, but I knew that at 60 days I needed to make the reservation just in case.

I can live with this compromise. So we have a refundable fee charged to your CC at the time you make your ADR and we reduce the 180 days to 45 days (I would also make it 45 for WDW resort guests only, 30 for non-guests, but it's not a deal-breaker).

There, we just fixed the system! :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter