• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else listening to the Apple blog over on cnet?

I know there is something always around the corner. I may wait to see if the fall rummors are true regarding the ipad3.

I've been waiting for this announcement and followed it eagerly today. I'll be getting one as soon as they show up.

For me, its just a toy and I really don't have a specific purpose. Perhaps I'll try bringing it on trips instead of my MBP. :surfweb:

Tethering refers to using the cell phone through either a cable or a Bluetooth connection. The HotSpot feature is a different beast because it uses the WiFi circuitry as a transmitter.

It will be in iOS 4.3, which is coming out on March 11. I would not put it past the carriers to charge extra for this, but they are on a tight timeline to do so.

Verizon is charging $20/month for 2 GB for the Hotspot ability with the IPhone. I'm sure AT&T will follow suit once it's available on the 11th.

i just cant see spending the money on something that wont even display web pages properly. I will go with another brand of Tablet untill apple add flash and usb ports. Why is it so hard to add something that is standard in all computing these days?
I’m trying to understand what people want USB ports on the iPad for?

I’m trying to understand what people want USB ports on the iPad for?

I have never needed a USB port for what I use the ipad for but this is a good read.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/ipad-camera-connection-kit-has-hidden-usb-capabilities.ars

"The iPad Camera Connection Kit is not only a collection of two dock connector dongles designed to help get photos onto an iPad from nearly any digital camera. It turns out the kit can also help you connect other USB devices to an iPad, making it that much more useful to those looking to go iPad-only for some tasks.One of the Camera Connection Kit's two dongles has a USB port for connecting almost any digital camera via its USB cable (the other has an SD card slot). Connecting a camera or other device that reports itself as a digital camera, including an iPhone, will allow you to download full-resolution images into the iPad's Photos app.
However, experimentation has reveled that other USB devices will work with an iPad as well. Confirming earlier rumors, TidBITS reported that some USB audio devices, like speakers, headsets, and microphones will also work when attached to the USB dongle. Headsets work especially well with Skype for VoIP calls, according to TidBITS. It's expected, though untested, that USB microphones commonly used for recording podcasts or other audio should also work with audio recording applications.
In addition to USB audio devices, TUAW reported that one user was able to plug in a USB keyboard and type text, just as if a Bluetooth keyboard or an iPad Keyboard Dock were being used. This capability doesn't seem especially useful compared to a portable Bluetooth keyboard, but it's there if you need it.
Other functionality may be possible, and the fact that these devices work at all is a small sign that Apple may expand USB support in the future. iPhone OS 4.0 will also add keyboard support to the iPhone and iPod touch, though the Camera Connection Kit doesn't currently work with either device. It's possible that this device support may spread to those devices, though in our opinion connecting USB devices to an iPhone makes a lot less sense than connecting them to the larger iPad."

I'm eligible (finally!) for an upgrade from Verizon. I am going to get the iPhone, but this iPad sure looks amazing. I'll just have to see if I want to buy the 3G iPad or try to use the phone for tethering. There are so many choices and limited funds! My head is spinning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter