Anyone else in the British isles cruise

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
Today was our big day to book tours. We like to book through the cruise line. With that said I have a few questions. First there were 2 that were already filled so does Disney do a waitlist for tours or do I need to keep checking. Aling those lines if I want to change tours do I have to first cancel and rebook or rebook and then cancel. I would to lose what I have in case the other gets filled before I can finish

Next our port was changed from ringaskiddy to Cohb when I tried to book tours I get the working on it page. I’m sorry I can’t find the email I got from our TA but I thought that starting on the 31 we could book tours.

Any other tips or advice woukd be great. It’s been so long since we were on a cruise

Reactions: lae
actually we did pretty good--the one for Cobh which is Blarney castle was a little stressful to say the least--that one we had to wait until wed I was all set and ready but then got strange messages--took me 45 minutes but I got the one tour we wanted--
the other thing I noticed was when your on the DCL website and check for tours there were quite a few that came up but when I booked on monday there were hardly anything listed at first I thought they sold out but there a few listed that said sold out Im not sure what happened there or if there going to add some

thanks for the tip on facebook page Ive read about groups but didnt know how to join Ill for sure check it out

Ive already made a few small changes for tours which tours are you planning on if you dont mind me asking
maybe well meet on the ship have a great cruise

not to sound stupid but I did sign up for the FB page following the link I answered there questions but is there something I can read now or do I have to wait for the ok

thanks cant wait

not to sound stupid but I did sign up for the FB page following the link I answered there questions but is there something I can read now or do I have to wait for the ok

thanks cant wait
They usually will approve you quickly then you can see the posts. We're going to try for Belfast-city walk and pub visit and the Cobh - Cork city drive and whisky centre and maybe hit the Titanic Museum on our own if there's time. We're planning on doing Liverpool and Greenock (train to Glasgow) on our own. I heard there was a free shuttle from Portland to the Weymouth beach area, so I think we'll just explore around there.

99 more days! :cool1:

We did blarney castle a few years ago on Disney cruise. I was a little disappointed. It was a longer drive than I thought, the lines to kiss the stone were crazy. My husband waited I did not. . But the gardens were lovely. We spent a lot of time in the shop and drinking something waiting for the tour to go Back.

We did blarney castle a few years ago on Disney cruise. I was a little disappointed. It was a longer drive than I thought, the lines to kiss the stone were crazy. My husband waited I did not. . But the gardens were lovely. We spent a lot of time in the shop and drinking something waiting for the tour to go Back.
I'd like to see it if we had more time in Ireland, but I saw some videos of the long line and the bendy position you need to get into to kiss the stone!

I am now signed up for the FB page for our cruise
but the only way I can get into the page is to come back here and click on the click that another poster listed how do I get into this page from FB is there somewhere Im supposed to search from
I am just so bad with computers

I am now signed up for the FB page for our cruise
but the only way I can get into the page is to come back here and click on the click that another poster listed how do I get into this page from FB is there somewhere Im supposed to search from
I am just so bad with computers
If you go into Facebook, click on the menu icon (3 lines) and then you can click on "groups" you should see the group listed. Hope that helps you!

We cannot book until June 12 I do hope there are excursions available by then.
I am not on fb so I guess we are missing out on a lot.
🤷‍♀️

actually I just joined the one that jkeilty posted lots of great reading there

we pretty got the tours we wanted--were not real advnetorous type so tend to book milder tours

but it should be a great cruise cant wait

next will be the one board check in--this will really be a project since I have no clue how to do all this uploading of pics I know theres a thread with a lot of info but that makes it even more confusing so much reading to find what your looking for

They usually will approve you quickly then you can see the posts. We're going to try for Belfast-city walk and pub visit and the Cobh - Cork city drive and whisky centre and maybe hit the Titanic Museum on our own if there's time. We're planning on doing Liverpool and Greenock (train to Glasgow) on our own. I heard there was a free shuttle from Portland to the Weymouth beach area, so I think we'll just explore around there.

99 more days! :cool1:
We did this cruise last year and I cannot stress enough how much we enjoyed Liverpool and and Portland on our own. :) VERY easy to do and if you like history, both have some pretty amazing stuff close by that I highly recommend.

would you mind sharing what you did in Portland thats close--is there anything right at the dock or is there a shuttle

any info on the port would be very helpful since its our last night we really didnt want to do a long tours and most of what I saw even though they were easy were 5 or 6 hrs thanks

Absolutely!
They do have a free shuttle. Portland is a military port with security checkpoints so you have to have an approved ride to get out of the port. The free shuttle did 2 stops last year. One in Castletown (the little town right outside of the port). The stop there was right outside of Portland Castle. It's TINY and I never would have guessed it was there. Right around the corner from it is the Castletown D-Day Centre. HIGHLY recommend it. So much fun. :) The second stop is right across the bridge in outer Weymouth. Be aware that it's a bit of a walk to get to the beach from there, but we enjoyed the walk and poked around to find a bakery to get some snack. (Also I took one of my favorite pictures of the entire trip on that walk) All in all it was an enjoyable day, very laid back. :)
Also going to put a plug in for the museum we visited in Liverpool. We saw a LOT of Beatles sites within VERY easy walking distance of the port (the statue is RIGHT THERE lol) But one of the highlights of our entire cruise was Western Approaches. It's the Liverpool war rooms from WWII and most of the Battle of the Atlantic was run from there. Absolutely fabulous and well worth the time.

Also, just a heads up, our cruise got changed from Ringaskiddy to Cobh too. :( We booked Blarney because we felt like we should? We didn't kiss the stone-the line was SUPER long, also we were getting ready to be tested for the second cruise... lol We ended up just exploring the gardens, which was nice, but I kinda wished we would have just explored Cobh because it was beautiful.

thanks so much for all the great info--as of now we have a tour of the medevial catheral in salisbury but it is a 6 hr tour which on our last day is a little too long we like to keep tours close and simple on the last day

that Portland castle sounds like it would be perfect for our last day

about how far is it from the ship

thanks again this was just so helpful

Did I read right that there’s Beatles things to see close to the dock. Is it an easy simple work. We have the city tour booked for Liverpool sorry for all the questions but you’ve really opened my eyes to see other things.

Hello Everyone!

Not sure what your itinerary is, but we just got back from an amazing 12-night British Isles cruise on Regal Princess and I'd be happy to share with you our ports, what we did, and answer any questions if I can...

May 20 - Depart Southampton

- we took the train from London Waterloo to Southampton Central then a cab to the terminal. Super easy and highly recommended. Train took about an 1hr 15min and the cab was around 10 pounds. Cab about 5-10 minutes to terminal.

May 21 - Portland, UK

- we took the free shuttle into Weymouth. Really enjoyed the town. Walked around a bit. Had excellent Fish and Chips at Marlboro (just over bridge on right as you go into Weymouth). Be sure to walk along the beach.

May 22 - Guernsey

- Went to Castle Cornet, ate lunch at a pub (The Pickled Pig - excellent), and walked around St. Peter Port. Really liked Guernsey!

May 23 - Cobh, Ireland

- some of our party did Paddywagon Tours Blarney and Kinsale. They liked Blarney, did not like Kinsale (a lot of things were closed that day for some reason). Two of us took the train, which is right next to the port, to Midleton, and visited the Jameson whiskey distillery. Highly recommended. Cork was not our favorite, but the rest of the party did like the English Market.

May 24 - Dublin (Dun Lagohaire)

- We had ordered our LEAP cards in advance, so we just hopped on the DART train (right at cruise port) and got off at Dublin Tara St, then grabbed G2 bus to Guinness Storehouse. That was great. Also visited Pearse Lyons Distillery next door (it's a distillery in an old church, super cool). Did some shopping on Grafton St. Got DART back from Pearse St. Station (though Google Maps will take you the wrong way, so be careful).

May 25 - Belfast

- Did the small bus Giants Causeway and Titanic Experience tour with Odyssey Bus Tours. I cannot recommend them enough. Our bus driver/guide James was amazing. The drive though Northern Ireland from Portrush to Ballycastle (including the Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-rede rope bridge) was just breathtaking. Also, as on the rest of the trip, our weather was perfect. James took us though Belfast and showed us some of the peace walls (as well as a quick stop to let me get my Northern Ireland Starbucks "You are Here" mug - Thanks James!) on the way to the Titanic Experience, which we all also enjoyed.

May 26 - Greenock, Scotland

- Walked over to Greenock Central and took the train into Glasgow. Just wandered around Argyle and Buchanan Streets and did some shopping.

May 27 - Day at Sea

- We all slept because we were exhausted (more on that later)

May 28 - Invergordon, Scotland

- Some of us took a private taxi tour (D & B Taxi Tours Tain) around Dunrobin Castle, the Falls of Shin, Dornoch, and the Highlands and myself and one other went to play golf at Golspie Golf Club. Everyone had an amazing day here.

May 29 - Edinburgh, Scotland (South Queensferry)

- We all took the X99 bus, which only runs on days cruises are in port and picks up right at the tender port into Edinburgh. They sell a combo ticket that includes the HOHO bus for like 28 pounds/person. Once on the HOHO, we were able to buy 10am tickets for admission to Edinburgh Castle which I recommend to get there as early as possible. After that we ate at Greyfriars Bobby, went into the Greyfriars Kirk yard to find the tomb of Tom Riddle (for you Harry Potter fans), and then we went and toured Hollyrood House palace. Another great day. We all loved Edinburgh. To note. Bus takes about 30 minutes to get into central Edinburgh.

May 30 - At Sea

May 31 - Le Havre, France

- Most took a tour with Overlord Tours to see the D-Day sights. We went to Omaha Beach, WN62, American Cemetery, Pointe-du-Hoc, St. Mere Elgise, and Brecourt Manor. It was a whirlwind day, but so worth it. Two in the party did the On your own to Paris (note it is a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive to Paris).

June 1 - Southampton, UK

- Took the train from Southampton Central back to London Waterloo.

Miscellaneous Thoughts:

1. This is a VERY port intensive cruise. You will not get a lot of rest time while you are cruising. It's fine though, you just need to realize that going in.
  2. Many nights we would get back later from our port days. On Princess, this wasn't a problem because the buffet (which was pretty good) was always open for Dinner or you could go to Alfredo's (an included Italian place) or get Pizza or Burgers, etc. out by the deck. I would say, though, since Cabanas is not open for Dinner (or at least I don't think it is yet) on DCL, I would opt for late dinner if possible.
  3. Don't be afraid to do stuff on your own. Transportation in Europe is easy and reliable. We took trains in Cobh, Dublin, and Greenock, and took the bus in Edinburgh. All were super easy. Also, the train to and from London Waterloo is easy as well and way cheaper than transfers.
  4. Make sure you have Pounds and Euros. UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) uses Pounds, but Ireland and France use Euros. That said, many places just take contactless credit cards (the tapping kind).
  5. If you stop in Invergordon and you have people that want to play golf, there are a number of reasonable and good links courses there (Golspie, Tain, Brora, and if you want to spend a bunch, Dornoch). They all have rental clubs.
  6. If you are staying in London and flying into Heathrow, I would also recommend using the Elizabeth Line to get into Central London. The trains are a bit more expensive than the Piccadilly Line, but they are nicer and more amenable to luggage and have less than half the stops. You could also do Heathrow Express, but it is twice the cost and only goes to Paddington.
  7. If you haven't booked a London Hotel yet, a big "thumbs-up" to the Great Northern Hotel (it's affiliated with Marriott) right next to King's Cross. We had an issue and the way management took care of it is the definition of customer service. It's also a beautiful hotel with a lot of character.
  8. If you need an extra bag (and you probably will) to come home. Get one at Primark. There are stores in London, Greenock, Glasgow, Belfast, and Edinburgh.

Did I read right that there’s Beatles things to see close to the dock. Is it an easy simple work. We have the city tour booked for Liverpool sorry for all the questions but you’ve really opened my eyes to see other things.
Hello - I live near Liverpool and I’ve taken the kids to see the Magic when it came in 2017 so I can tell you it’s a very easy walk to a couple of Beatles places. Liverpool city centre is a 10-15 min walk from the dock and it’s a very pedestrian friendly city. I’ve attached a pic of where the boat docks (the shaky cross!) and you can see the Cavern Club and the Beatles experience museum, which is a 15 min walk to give you an idea of scale. The big S is where the shopping complex is. Albert Dock (where the Beatles museum is located) is nice to walk around.IMG_2077.jpeg
The city has made a big fuss whenever the Disney Cruise comes to town so I hope they do it again. It made us very emotional when the Magic sailed away and it did the horn etc. Excited for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter