Anyone else gotten sick after Disney cruise?

19 cruises with Disney, many, many before Disney ships, NEVER got sick, knock on wood

19 cruises with Disney, many, many before Disney ships, NEVER got sick, knock on wood

My whole family fell ill the last day of our cruise last year (there was a lot of noticeable coughing going around the whole 5 days...), but no stomach stuff just bedridden and coughing for a week or so after we got home.
But that hasn't stopped us from going back on more cruises, and we haven't gotten sick since then.

I've never had a stomach illness (knock on wood) but I always usually get a cold/cough when I get home and I'm 99 percent sure it's from the plane ride.

I've been on 15 Disney cruises (+2 on RCL), and have never been sick on, or immediately after, any of them. Nor has anyone in my family (and many of these cruises were over the years when the children were small). That being said, however, we all really know that one could get sick from just about anywhere or anyplace, so we just do the best we can with cleanliness (hand washing, sanitizing wipes) and 99.9999% of the time you should be just fine.

The day after we got back from our cruise I got what I guess was the famous norovirus that is popular on ships. Which I know it is just food poisoning and that can happen anywhere.

Noro isn’t food poisoning.

What getting noro means is that someone with it touched something on the ship, then you touched it and put your hand to your mouth or nose (mucus membranes) without washing it.

Do you see the transmission vector that YOU have control of there?

And yes this means forgoing bread rolls or other finger food, since it’s hard to wash hands then get to the dining area, order, and get your meal while touching NO chair or menu or salt shaker etc.

You *can* also get it by inhaling the virus, but that really means you’re in a room with someone actively being sick from it.

9 cruises and on this last one, about half way through a 7 night, I caught this cold, throat thing. It wasn't terrible, but many of the crew had it. It was going around. The rest of my family got it when we returned. Probably from me. We are careful hand washers etc., but sometimes it just catches you.

I think you are going to find many people who know someone who has gotten sick. I wouldn't keep let that keep you from going on a DCL cruise unless you have an auto-immune disorder or some other condition that places you at high risk.

Right, I agree with that statement. You can get sick anywhere. True, you are on a boat with many others, but the same is true of disney parks and resorts. We go once a year, and at least one of us gets sick while at disney. It always occurs towards the end of our 10 day stay and is usually bad, ie: chills, fatigue, painful throat, cough, nausea, the whole nine yards. Usually, it's my husband whose sickness starts as a cold and gets much worse. Last time it was me, and I was miserable. Lucky it was 2 days before we went home, so it didn't bother us too much. I can't help but think of all the people who grab hand rails, doors, etc who aren't using good hygiene. Just my 2 cents worth:) But we still go knowing we will probably get something from a simple cold to flu like symptoms.

Granted, I've only been on two cruises, but I've never gotten sick while onboard. I believe that illnesses (Norovirus or otherwise) while onboard DCL is very, very rare. Follow proper hygiene procedures, such as washing hands frequently, and you'll be fine.

Nope, knock on wood, through three winter DCL cruises and two summer ones. Take that for what it's worth, though; the MacSpiffs are obsessive about good hygiene, hand washing, and sanitizing all the things when we're on vacation. At home, not so much... you do have to give your immune system a bit of a workout from time to time! But nobody wants to get sick while they're traveling.

My last cruise I ended up getting sick as we got off. I also get sick the day after being in the Magic Kingdom. My friends and I believe it's from all the kids. I dont get it if we skip that park.

8 DCL cruises, some 14 nights, and we have been fortunate to only catch a cold a couple of times. I do take wipes for plane and cabin. I will wipe down surfaces, handles, phone and remote in our room. I know it won't kill everything but it makes me feel like at least I'm trying. We also wash our hands every time we get back to the cabin. A friend that travels a lot always puts her TV remote in a plastic bag when staying in a hotel so at least I'm not that crazy!

We got sick on the EBTA this past May. I think my daughter caught it from the sleepover in the Oceaneers club. They slept on the floor on mats. I should have known better than to let her do that.

We've got 30+ cruises under our belts, and I will say getting ill while on the ship is a more common occurrence than I would like. I take many extra precautions with hand washing and sanitizing, wiping room down, not touching elevator buttons or stair railings, etc., but we have had a variety of colds, flus, and even one bout of norovirus. So many people in a confined setting is a cesspool of infection. But we still cruise!

Some things that can help are to take Vitamin C daily, wipe down all handles/switches/remotes/phone/buttons, etc. in your cabin upon your embarkation arrival, washing hands before eating and upon every arrival back to your cabin, and keeping Zicam (high-potency zinc) tablets with you, to take the moment you start to sense any type of cold coming on.

That might sound like a lot, but it's really no big deal to do & becomes habit once you get used to it. As an elementary teacher, I'm used to taking precautions to minimize the spread of illness. It helps.

Some things that can help are to take Vitamin C daily, wipe down all handles/switches/remotes/phone/buttons, etc. in your cabin upon arrival, washing hands before eating and upon every arrival back to your cabin, and keeping Zicam (high-potency zinc) tablets with you, to take the moment you start to sense any type of cold coming on.

That might sound like a lot, but it's really no big deal to do & becomes habit once you get used to it. As an elementary teacher, I'm used to taking precautions to minimize the spread of illness. It helps.
Also do not touch the rail of the stairs, let someone else touch the buttons on the elevators or have a handkerchief to do so. Train yourself not to touch your face. And clean your cutlery before dinner.

For everyone wiping stuff down, make sure whatever you're using actually kills noro. Some of the sanitizers don't. But really, washing your hands is the best option. Often. And a really good wash Hawkeye Pierce style.

Me and my Wife have done 6 Disney cruises and have never gotten sick. I feel bad for the people who have. That would be so sad.

On the CDC website they have a list of outbreaks on cruise ships. I don't know if anyone else knew this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter