Anyone Else Forgo Mousekeeping?

Do the people who wipe everything down in hotels do it to everywhere else, too? I'm not being rude. I am genuinely curious.

I wipe down the remote, phone, handles and surfaces in any hotel we stay at. My sister had a summer job working at a fancy hotel one summer during college, and I've heard the horror stories.

I love mouse keeping! It was very pleasant returning to a tidy room, with hand towels folded nicely over the faucets and towel animals left for us. These were nice little touches that made the stay a bit more magical. We always left a tip each morning and I wrote a little thank-you note on the last day.

I feel badly for the maids who have to clean up after a week's worth of mess. If you're generally neat, it might not be so bad, but if people have been partying, and the place is a shambles, then I hope they leave a generous tip!

Do the people who wipe everything down in hotels do it to everywhere else, too? I'm not being rude. I am genuinely curious.
Other hotels, yes. "Everywhere else"...not sure what you mean? ... like restaurants or other places? I look to see how things are in restaurants and will ask the host to wipe things better sometimes, especially the seats because they never seem to wipe those very well and people drop food and spill things there! Yes, there are sometimes I will wipe it down.
At WDW we always wipe off the table and seats at a counter service place before sitting down!! That has nothing to do with WDW and how they clean, but more how badly other people are about cleaning up after themselves! I have no problem going up to the counter and asking for cleaning spray and towels!
Otherwise I am just careful about other things like door handles, etc.

For years, I absolutely loved daily housekeeping. It was great being on vacation and not having to make the beds or pick up after everyone. Then 6 years ago we bought Dvc. I was so worried about not having daily housekeeping, and was upset, considering how much Dvc cost us. But very soon after joining Dvc, i realized how wonderful it was NOT having it! I used to put my personal items and jewelry away each morning. I would straighten up and organize our souvenirs, etc. to be out of their way. Now, I feel much more relaxed in the room. It just feels more like home, than a hotel room. We also like to go back to our resort for swimming in the afternoon. No more playing the "did they do our room yet" game in the hallway, or rush to get in and out before they show up. And I did realize that there's no sense in getting new towels every day. We would never do that at home.

I would never go the entire vacation without housekeeping. I ask for extra towels and toiletries at the beginning of the trip and once those are used up or there's too much clutter I ask for housekeeping to come in. So during a weeklong stay they're probably in the room twice. I don't understand the need for daily service unless you have a large party or you're cooking in a villa and the trash needs to be taken out or dishes need to be placed in the dishwasher.

It has nothing to do with germs and more to do with scheduling. I like to be there when they're in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter