Anyone else completely priced out of the buffets at Disney now?

I have never understood the character dining experience for breakfast. My wife and I did it twice with the grandchildren (Tusker House). Yes it was fun, but 30 dollars for eggs? I still do character dining for dinner, at least three nights every trip. I can justify that kind of money for my dinner but not when I can eat at Denny's for a couple of bucks. Yes I know there is more than just bacon and eggs and pancakes, and yes I understand that I get Donald and Mickey at breakfast which you can't do at Dennys, but basically, it is still breakfast. I am not saying no one should do it, I am just saying for myself and my wife, we agreed that a 30 dollar breakfast was a little extravagent for our tastes, which is what I took the purpose of this chat group to be about, our personal feelings on the subject.

Not in your situation, but for those going specifically for the characters, sometimes breakfast is the only time the character is there. I think Disney might realize and do this on purpose!?

For me personally, the price of a breakfast buffet is just not worth it anymore. I don't mind paying good money for a high quality buffet but in my opinion the food quality at breakfast is just not that good for the price you are paying. Plus, and maybe we've just had bad luck, but the service hasn't historically been that great either. If I'm expected to tip based on the cost of the buffet, I want my drinks refilled and plates cleaned off the table. If the quality of the food and service matched the price, it would be one thing. But that is not what I see happening here.

Not in your situation, but for those going specifically for the characters, sometimes breakfast is the only time the character is there. I think Disney might realize and do this on purpose!?
What about the free character meets and shows though? My traveling kiddos are past the age where character meets or meals have an appeal so that's just another reason for me to bypass the experiences but were I budget concious on this level I'd note the various times that characters could be met or seen and save myself the cost of the meals. Disney is a sensory overload on steroids for the young and I'm not sure that many even know what is going on after a bit.

Almost priced out at 'everything' Disney! Can we afford it? Yes. Are we going to give it to Disney? No! We've been going since !972 right after MK opened, but the last 10 or so years after prices are becoming insane, and 'extra' hard tickets are being sold everywhere they get a chance, we're nearly done.

Plan to go back in a few years after some of the current construction is finished, then -------- We enjoy going so many other places also.

Yes, we still enjoy Disney, but the 'worth' to us is getting much less.

We're another example of ... we can afford it, but don't feel like it's even close to being worth the cost. We haven't even been since Dec 2017, but even then we felt fleeced. The food quality and character experiences just don't match the price tag they're putting on these meals...and that price to quality ratio gap is just growing even more with the recent increases. I kept hearing the cliche saying about a fool and their $...and I'm tire of being the fool.

I've been following and reading this thread and it's a microcosm of WDW experience overall imho. Couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed in the above posts and a few others like it.

Do we go to WDW looking for the best, lowest bargained price on food...no! Do we go to WDW knowing it is a vacation resort and expect food to be higher priced than what we can find back home or in non-resort locations...yes, of course! We expect that. Could we afford the current prices...yes, even 3 or 4X what it costs now. But is the value there? NO! I guess maybe I'm a food snob or something (but I don't think so) but the quality has become so hit and miss and overall down that I just can't justify it. Can I afford it? Yes, but there's a big difference between being able to afford something and being able to justify the value in something.

No offense but I think for some they could serve crap on a plate but as long as it was shaped like mouse ears people would think it was good quality!

What about the free character meets and shows though? My traveling kiddos are past the age where character meets or meals have an appeal so that's just another reason for me to bypass the experiences but were I budget concious on this level I'd note the various times that characters could be met or seen and save myself the cost of the meals. Disney is a sensory overload on steroids for the young and I'm not sure that many even know what is going on after a bit.

We do those also, but it's not a comparable experience in my opinion.

We are always on free dining and do 1 sit-down a day, so the character meals still come out at the best value for the experience for us considering our family, I just wish Sophia was at dinner! :-)

Well I have a DD who is a CM and even with her discount I can't justify really anything at WDW anymore. We would go 2-3Xs a year but now 1 trip costs what three did. We now eat at Disney Springs when we use to hit all the signatures. Thank god my kids are past the charcter meals! We still go to see my daughter but do one park, sometimes more when we use to all hold APs., She doesn't even eat at WDW because of the price and she is making "real" money, I have no idea how the CP kids can even eat there.

Well I have a DD who is a CM and even with her discount I can't justify really anything at WDW anymore. We would go 2-3Xs a year but now 1 trip costs what three did. We now eat at Disney Springs when we use to hit all the signatures. Thank god my kids are past the charcter meals! We still go to see my daughter but do one park, sometimes more when we use to all hold APs., She doesn't even eat at WDW because of the price and she is making "real" money, I have no idea how the CP kids can even eat there.
Very good point.

We do character breakfast to save money. A 10:00-10:30 reservation serves as breakfast and lunch for us, so two meals for the price of one. Plus we love breakfast food but rarely cook a large breakfast or go out for breakfast. Kids are in a better mood then (compared to noon or dinner time). It is perfect timing to rope drop then eat after doing 3-5 rides.

For me personally, the price of a breakfast buffet is just not worth it anymore. I don't mind paying good money for a high quality buffet but in my opinion the food quality at breakfast is just not that good for the price you are paying. Plus, and maybe we've just had bad luck, but the service hasn't historically been that great either. If I'm expected to tip based on the cost of the buffet, I want my drinks refilled and plates cleaned off the table. If the quality of the food and service matched the price, it would be one thing. But that is not what I see happening here.
I agree. The price for breakfast is way too high, considering what a lot of the ingredients cost. We also aren’t big eaters in the morning and would rather do rides. We used to do a character breakfast on the day we were leaving to have something fun, but everyone in the family agrees it just isn’t worth it. We are doing a few dinner buffets this time, but I am not sure how much longer we will be doing those. I don’t think the quality is normally great and would rather go to a signature for close to the same price.

I have never understood the character dining experience for breakfast. My wife and I did it twice with the grandchildren (Tusker House). Yes it was fun, but 30 dollars for eggs? I still do character dining for dinner, at least three nights every trip. I can justify that kind of money for my dinner but not when I can eat at Denny's for a couple of bucks. Yes I know there is more than just bacon and eggs and pancakes, and yes I understand that I get Donald and Mickey at breakfast which you can't do at Dennys, but basically, it is still breakfast. I am not saying no one should do it, I am just saying for myself and my wife, we agreed that a 30 dollar breakfast was a little extravagent for our tastes, which is what I took the purpose of this chat group to be about, our personal feelings on the subject.

We do character breakfasts because:
1. It’s significantly cheaper than lunch/dinner
2. As others mentioned, we can do a late breakfast and have it be out main meal for the day. Quick snack in the room, do a few hours at the park, then “brunch” (we did Tusker at 10:30 last year, they seated us just before 11, so we caught the changeover and ate both breakfast and lunch foods for the breakfast price). Then maybe grab a pizza or have sandwiches for dinner, plus an in-Park snack or dessert somewhere along the way.
3.my kids are usually not big dinner eaters, so the value for us is better at breakfast.
4. Morning is definitely when my kids are most agreeable, too!

Breakfast is sometimes the best time for kids, and while it is expensive, it is less per person than lunch or dinner. For many who want a character meal breakfast is the best option. Honestly, most people, especially children, do not eat enough to justify your an meal cost, so if you can only have one, they make it breakfast.

For others, the character who is only there for breakfast is the draw. 'Ohana is one meal that I like each trip becuase I love Stitch. This is usually the only place to meet him. 1900 is the place to meet the Mad Hatter and Alice. .

I have no idea if it is purposeful, but it does work, does it not? LOL! 1900 twice, breakfast and dinner for us!

Kenny the Pirate has a list of M&G charters and times, and you can also get help from CM's who will find out when the characters will be there. I think character meals are NOT relaxing, and while we love them, they were stimulating for my DGD, and hectic for my DD>

I don't "get" paying $20 more a head for dinner vs. breakfast. I think breakfast food is a lot less variable so the quality ding you get on a buffet vs. made to order a la carte sit down is FAR less at breakfast than at dinner. The food is much much much better made to order a la carte than at a buffet for dinner. I generally enjoy breakfast buffet food greatly but do not really enjoy dinner buffet food nearly as much. Also my tolerance for the noise and chaos of a character meal is higher earlier in the day than later.

Comparing to Denny's is not a fair comparison unless you look at dinner too in which case you're paying $55 a head vs. $9.99 for a dinner at Denny's, then the discrepancy is just as large.

I don't "get" paying $20 more a head for dinner vs. breakfast. I think breakfast food is a lot less variable so the quality ding you get on a buffet vs. made to order a la carte sit down is FAR less at breakfast than at dinner. The food is much much much better made to order a la carte than at a buffet for dinner. I generally enjoy breakfast buffet food greatly but do not really enjoy dinner buffet food nearly as much. Also my tolerance for the noise and chaos of a character meal is higher earlier in the day than later.

Comparing to Denny's is not a fair comparison unless you look at dinner too in which case you're paying $55 a head vs. $9.99 for a dinner at Denny's, then the discrepancy is just as large.

I think the reason I value dinner more is there are usually more high value items on the buffet (or at least, more that I feel like eating at that time of day!). For example, if I have prime rib, salmon, shrimp, etc. I feel like I'm more likely to be able to eat closer to $45-55 worth than if I'm trying to eat $30-35 worth of waffles and eggs. But disregarding the cost of the food I often to enjoy the freshness and preparation of Disney's breakfast foods more! It definitely is harder to mess up waffles than it is a seafood pasta.

I'm pretty much over AYCE experiences in general... I just can't and won't eat enough mediocre food to make the experience worthwhile; the added cost at Disney just reinforces that. The only AYCE we'll be doing on this trip is California Grill brunch, which is obscenely expensive as far as buffet meals go, but the dining experience and food quality are good enough that we don't mind the splurge.

For the rest of the buffets on Disney property though -- the value just isn't there.

Honestly I hate buffets in real life and refuse to go to them in my day to day life. I did enjoy the buffets at Disney but they were never my favorite. We would book some because the kids loved them. Now with the price increases it makes it even easier to say no to them when you aren't even a buffet person to begin with.

I think the reason I value dinner more is there are usually more high value items on the buffet (or at least, more that I feel like eating at that time of day!). For example, if I have prime rib, salmon, shrimp, etc. I feel like I'm more likely to be able to eat closer to $45-55 worth than if I'm trying to eat $30-35 worth of waffles and eggs. But disregarding the cost of the food I often to enjoy the freshness and preparation of Disney's breakfast foods more! It definitely is harder to mess up waffles than it is a seafood pasta.

yes, salmon and shrimp are rarely improved by advance preparation and being left to sit out... But I eat plenty of that stuff at home so it's not a big treat to me. Most of the meat cuts at buffets are more like strip loin than prime rib though which is a cheaper cut. For $50 I'd rather have a beautifully prepared and composed entree at a signature.

I have NEVER been able to eat $30-35 worth of breakfast or $50-55 worth of buffet foods but now that i've had bariatric surgery, forget it. But my kid loves some of those experience and he is only a kid for so long. I feel better about the breakfast than the dinner because with dinner if I plan it right I can take home the leftovers and get a few meals out of it... I'm not doing that with breakfast even if stuff is left over. But really I never ate the buffet dinners except when I had to (minnie's holiday dine) because I enjoyed the food at other restaurants far more and always felt let down by the food at dinner buffets. But I have been pretty let down by a la carte breakfasts on site (WCC most recently) but really enjoy the buffets and getting a taste of this or that. I do like biergarten and ohana for dinner aycte options too without characters. I just know it's going to cost me xx to go and that's it, I am not going to get the value by volume but then I never did... it's just a matter of degree now. I have never been one to pile my plate high and do it multiple times at buffets. Not sure how I got fat then, lol.

I definitely see your point. For me, the only "buffet" worth the cost is the Garden Grill breakfast. I know it's technically not a buffet, but the all you care to eat character experience exceeds its value. The food is fresh and actually tastes good. You get to meet Mickey, Pluto, and Chip n Dale--and we got to meet them several times. Plus, where else in the world can you eat on a rotating platform? We paid about $85 for a breakfast for 2 adults. Worth it in our minds, but everyone has different opinions.

I never do buffets. We used to do them when DS was 2-3, but he didn't like the characters at character buffets. Any other buffets for us, just aren't worth the price. We just don't eat enough to justify $50 plus on some buffets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter