Anyone done Dolphins in Depth?

4orm

DIS Veteran
How often to the dolphins opt out of meeting the people, and it is worth it? I'd love any ifo. Thanks so much guys!

DH and I did this tour in 2001. We loved it. Much of the time is spent learning about dolphins and touring the facility. There is about 45 minutes of water time. Each individual gets a few minutes with a dolphin, to touch it and be "up close" (you don't actually swim with them however). On our tour someone ask about the dolphins being uncooperative and the trainer said it doesn't happen very often as dolphins are curious and social animals. I would highly recomend the tour.

Just to add some food for thought, you may want to consider Discovery Cove for just a little bit more where you actually get to swim with the dolphins.

Hi there :)

I have never heard of Dolphins in Depth....wow...my dd loves dolphins but cannot swim yet...so the cost for Discovery Cove would be a lot when she really could not swim "with" them. Could you give me more details on this. Do they do this at Disney in Epcot?

I did the Dolphins in Depth tour back in the spring of 2000 and LOVED it! I would highly recommend it. Just know that your dolphin encounter is just a portion of the tour. We spent 2 hours getting a tour of the backstage areas of the Living Seas, plus "front row seats" onstage for dolphin research viewing. As jkovick says, you don't actually swim with the dolphins. You wade out on a platform and the dolphins swim up to you. I do highly recommend it.

If you are looking for more personal time with a dolphin, including swimming, you should probably check out Discovery Cove. But it also costs appropriately more $$$. I think Dolphins in Depth strikes a nice balance between cost and a dolphin encounter. :cool:

I've done DID at Epcot and it was great. There is not extensive time with the dolphins, but it is fun. Discovery Cove offers more actual swim time, if that's what you want. DID is designed to be more educational.

One tip: book EARLY in the week. Mondays are best because the dolphins have had no outside contact except CMs all weekend. Friday would be the "worst" because they've seen people all week long. However, I've never heard of them refusing to interact. Earlier in the week, they may be more anxious to meet and greet visitors.

Sweet_Thing, you mentioned your daughter does not swim yet. Just a FYI, all participants on the Dolphins in Depth program must be 16 or older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter