Anyone Christmas shopping yet... continued...

Nope - I've spent my summer gathering everything my daughter needs for her first dorm room at college.

Next will be the birthday gifts for 3 people in my family - husband, daughter, son. This year it's down to 5 gifts each. Last year was 8 gifts each. I've been slowly dropping the number every year. My husband will probably complain though - he likes lots of gifts but we just can't afford to keep that up.

I don't know if I have less gifts, but what I did last year and decided to do going forward is. Everyone gets a stocking, a big gift bag, and a box. I just fit everything into those 3 things. I mix everything up so the big gift might be in the stocking for one person, and in the box for another. Now on the other hand our little grandson son gets lots and lots of presents. So much fun to watch him open everything. It save's me so much money on wrapping paper, and bow's. I will hit up the dollar store for bags, and a couple of rolls of kids Christmas paper for DGS presents. I bought a bunch of wrapping paper, ribbon and fancy's bow's last year after Christmas I should have enough for this year's family's gifts.

Not yet but I really hope I do start earlier this year.
I asked dd what does she want this year
She mentioned
-game of humanity. I think that's what its called
-and another game

I want to add some fun $$ gift ideas. Every college kids favorite gift-lol! Plus some gift cards so when she goes back to school after Christmas break

i'm guessing it's 'cards against humanity'-it's popular w/ dd's college crowd.

i'm thinking on $$ and gift card ideas too. dd graduated and with student loans starting to come due in december she's going to be tight on her budget so i'm leaning towards a mix of practical stuff that pulls from her budget (haircuts, oil changes...) and entertainment (local 2nd run movie theater offers an unlimited one year movie pass for $70-she's been using the one we got her last christmas to death this summer). if she didn't have a washer/dryer in her apartment i'd be inclined to get her rolls of quarters and a bulk order of those small boxes of detergent but i think she'll end up with a BIG box of laundry detergent, another of dish tabs and one of those costco multi packs of clorox wipes-all stuff that she pays more for much smaller supplies of and can't really afford to stock up on at more affordable bulk prices.

I got tsum tsums at dollar tree for my kids stockings and Disney pajamas on clearance at Walmart. Planning a trip over the winter so stockings will be filled with Disneh goodies for our trip! I always try to pick up stuff as I see it. I stashed away frozen and cars lanyards from the target dollar section after last Christmas too.

I barely shopped last year. I will probably shop less this year. My kids understand I buy for them throughout the year vs buying things and hiding it until Christmas. They rather have things throughout the year. We are doing more trips and experiences than gifts. I will wait until a few weeks before Christmas and see what they are wanting at that time.

My son wants tickets to a pacers game. I'm getting my husband an airfryer. I am taking a cruise with my friends in march so I already told my husband I don't want anything else other than a few small token gifts. I need some new kitchen towels and an olive oil dispenser. Stuff like that. I'm going to buy my husband canning supplies when I see them on sale. He spends a fortune every year.

I don't go overboard on his older kids or the grandkids. They each get a gift and that's it. They are just as happy that way. They get plenty from Santa, and the other grandparents go way overboard to the point of being crazy.

I'm getting my husband an airfryer.

HE WILL LOVE IT (so will you). i highly recommend 'the air fryer bible'-it's a great reference when starting out (and tell him to google search an air fryer conversion chart on-line so he can take any recipe or frozen prepared food and easily convert the cooking instructions for his air fryer).

HE WILL LOVE IT (so will you). i highly recommend 'the air fryer bible'-it's a great reference when starting out (and tell him to google search an air fryer conversion chart on-line so he can take any recipe or frozen prepared food and easily convert the cooking instructions for his air fryer).
Thanks I will! He loves gadgets. He also has food allergies, wheat being one of them, so breaded deep fried stuff is out. I'm thinking the airfryer will allow him to make things taste more appealing and be healthier. He also likes to buy cooking stuff from "Santa" for himself/us so I think he will like it.

I just went to the jeweler an ordered two rings to be made for my girls for Christmas gifts. So I guess I have officially started. My youngest just moved up to college this past week. In my mind I wanted to get him all settled then I could concentrate of Christmas. I love being done early.

Last night at dinner I proposed that instead of buying a bunch of gifts that we just go away during Christmas break. It did not go over too well, but I didn't get any hard "no" from anyone so I'm going to keep pushing.
I'll admit that it is totally selfish on my part, I'm the one who does all the shopping, including figuring out what to buy everyone, and all the wrapping. As my kids have gotten older, Christmas morning just isn't the same as it used to be. I would rather just not bother with all that and just spend some quality time together in a nice tropical location.
I think I will give it another month of pushing for a trip and if it doesn't work then I'll start thinking about shopping.

Last night at dinner I proposed that instead of buying a bunch of gifts that we just go away during Christmas break. It did not go over too well, but I didn't get any hard "no" from anyone so I'm going to keep pushing.
I'll admit that it is totally selfish on my part, I'm the one who does all the shopping, including figuring out what to buy everyone, and all the wrapping. As my kids have gotten older, Christmas morning just isn't the same as it used to be. I would rather just not bother with all that and just spend some quality time together in a nice tropical location.
I think I will give it another month of pushing for a trip and if it doesn't work then I'll start thinking about shopping.
I don't blame you one bit.

I just started this week. I always do a search around this time to see what they are prediciting to be the "hot" Christmas toys. I got my DDs those Fingerlings this time last year for $14.99 and by Christmas they were selling for over $100. :)

Find any good ideas for hot toys? I too got the Fingerling last year very early on thanks to my boss seeing on a news clip that it should be a hot item.

Not yet.... I really would like this year to be less STUFF and more experiences. Last year everyone felt they needed to give DD so much STUFF to "out-do" the Disney birthday trip the year before... now there is no more room for any more gifts, some of which she looked at for like 10 minutes and hasn't touched since Xmas morning!!!!

So I spoke to my cousin the other day and have come up with a plan.

For the family I really don't want to buy for (loooooooong story), I will spend about $20 at Five Below and the Dollar Store to make a basket of fun stuff. Games and candy that they can share. This is what I pretty much did last year. But I just don't have the time, money, or energy to do something different (and I try not to spend too much of any of those on them anyway).

For the family I do want to buy for, I will get a lot of it at Disney this October. For my nephews I will get each their yearly ornament and then one other things. For my cousin I will look for fun kitchen stuff or clothing like scarves. For her husband I am hoping for something fun that is Star Wars themed (he loves the movies as much as I do as do the kids). For one aunt, I will find an ornament to send her like I do every year.

For my dad, grandma, aunt, and uncle... I have no dang clue.

For my friends... they all know how tight my budget is and that I can't really afford much so hopefully they will understand. Maybe some cute scarf and glove sets or something.

We got DD a green screen stick figure toy where she can make videos on her phone. $20 marked to $5. We are still investigating the new phone and/or tablet.

My Mom has asked for bath items for Christmas. I coupon for fun, it’s my game. She wants mascara, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, lotion, shower gel, laundry soap, dish soap, fabric softener, and any other crazy deal I find. Most of that stuff will be free with coupons and point rolling. I plan on doing a smaller package for my SIL. They were the two I didn’t know what to buy so at least now I have a plan.

I got tsum tsums at dollar tree for my kids stockings and Disney pajamas on clearance at Walmart. Planning a trip over the winter so stockings will be filled with Disneh goodies for our trip! I always try to pick up stuff as I see it. I stashed away frozen and cars lanyards from the target dollar section after last Christmas too.
Which characters?

Amazon had 20% off "select" Amazon Warehouse items today. While there wasn't much selection and most things still weren't priced great even with the discount, I did find a lighting and backdrop set along the lines of what DD18 has been wanting for a really good price (she's a casual Youtuber and photographer). Now here's hoping that when it gets here it's actually in the "Very Good" condition they said it is. I've generally had good luck with Warehouse items, but every now and then there's a dud. Oh well - there's lots of time to return it if need be, and wait for another deal!

A bonus is that it will be a really big package and take up lots of space under the tree. Which is good because a lot of her other gifts are small packages - a new camera lens, an external microphone for her camera, etc. As they get older, the packages get smaller and smaller, but more and more expensive LOL

With this purchase, I could just stop and call things good for DD. But I have a feeling that won't happen...

Last edited:
i'm guessing it's 'cards against humanity'-it's popular w/ dd's college crowd.

i'm thinking on $$ and gift card ideas too. dd graduated and with student loans starting to come due in december she's going to be tight on her budget so i'm leaning towards a mix of practical stuff that pulls from her budget (haircuts, oil changes...) and entertainment (local 2nd run movie theater offers an unlimited one year movie pass for $70-she's been using the one we got her last christmas to death this summer). if she didn't have a washer/dryer in her apartment i'd be inclined to get her rolls of quarters and a bulk order of those small boxes of detergent but i think she'll end up with a BIG box of laundry detergent, another of dish tabs and one of those costco multi packs of clorox wipes-all stuff that she pays more for much smaller supplies of and can't really afford to stock up on at more affordable bulk prices.

If she is sharing an apartment, I would go with smaller sizes on detergents like the small tide pods, dish tabs and that sort of stuff, and/or get her a storage bin to keep her stuff in. This way she can store the extras and pull out whatever when she needs it. When I was just starting out I shared a apartment with a friend. While she was my friend and still is. She never would spend on this kinda stuff, and would borrow mine and never would replace it. So I just put all my laundry products, cleaning supplies, bath tissue etc.. in a tote in my closet.

When DD moved out with her boyfriend who is now her husband. It was right before Christmas. So I had to totally rethink Christmas I went for a more practical things. I bought a bunch of plastic containers, and put a couple of simple recipes and a GC for Publix, then one container for each of them with a Disney key chain, and a oil change and tire rotation GC. A tote full of towels, hand towels, wash cloth's, dish towels, and hot pads /pot holders, tide, spray & wash and dish soap. I can remember everything I did but you get the idea.

My parents when I was just starting out would pay for triple AAA for a year. Which was really great, and I used it, a few times. Just a suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter