Anyone been in January?

DonnaRy28

Earning My Ears
We’re planning a trip for January 12 -16, 2020. This is right before the new Rise of the Resistance attraction opens in Galaxy’s edge and before the big, annual music event at the convention center.

This will be a Christmas gift surprise for our 12 year old daughter. We’re pulling her out of school in hopes of much lighter crowds than usual. Our last trip over fall break last year felt like more standing in line than actually enjoying the parks!

Has anyone been in mid-January? I’m curious how the crowds have been, what the weather was like, and if it rained.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated! Also, any super fun x-mas gift reveal ideas?

We were there a couple years ago, crowds were lighter but there is no such thing as uncrowded Disney, but thankfully the crowds were manageable. Weather was nice, considering we were leaving snow it was great. There was rain a couple of days, but only one day was it heavy. Temps in the mid-70s. That time of year works for my wife and I so we're going back Mid-February this year.

As far as a reveal, lot of options. If you get your Magic Bands you can wrap those.

We were there a couple years ago, crowds were lighter but there is no such thing as uncrowded Disney, but thankfully the crowds were manageable. Weather was nice, considering we were leaving snow it was great. There was rain a couple of days, but only one day was it heavy. Temps in the mid-70s. That time of year works for my wife and I so we're going back Mid-February this year.

As far as a reveal, lot of options. If you get your Magic Bands you can wrap those.
I wish Disneyland had those Magic Bands. That would be perfect for gift giving. As far as I know, they are not utilized at Disneyland yet. :(

This past winter was pretty wet and cold. But if you’re from a cold climate, it shouldn’t bother you. I still saw people in shorts and sandals. Overall January seemed like it had mild crowds. I went on MLK day and it was open from 9-9. I thought Disney was crazy, but while there the lack of crowds made me realize why there was no need to stay open until 12.

Another thing to be aware of in the off season are ride closures. Last year there were many ride closures, construction, and the castle was covered since it was getting redone. So there can be less people, but since not everything is available it can make the park seem busy.

I go every late Jan and love the cold and wet weather. Their was 1 year out of the 5 it was very hot and humid like here in Hawaii.

We didn't care for it when we went one January. There were fires so there was lots of smoke and Ash flying around. It was a little colder than we preferred.

The biggest set back to me at this point would be the hours and closures. For this reason we are actually traveling in summer. Summer and spring break typically have the least closures. Between those two times summer is logically less busy because there are more weeks to spread out the crowds. We really need the early openings. And I will have to set up my kids to wake at the appropriate time to get into the parks without being exhausted. Our reason is for sensory processing disorder. One of our kids gets super dysregulated from visual over stimulation. Last December I was in the parks on an adult only trip and shocked by how empty even Fantasyland was at 8 am opening. We haven't been to the parks that early in years due to having babies and toddlers. Lines aren't an issue because my kids need DAS or we can't even go. But 10 am openings are super crowded. Now...I'll see if I can really get them on a different schedule in time for the trip. LOL

For gifts I'd go to target & dollar store and try to find little things that will be nice on the trip; Disney themed if possible. A fan, maybe a misting one; something for the travel like color books, etc.; a cooling towel, maybe a hidden mickey book if you're into that sort of thing; bubble blower light (bring a screwdriver, battery and extra bubbles-ask me how I know).

Others have done a scavenger hunt around the house ending with the gift.

Last edited:
Hello! We'll be there the same time (12th for 3 nights) so following along. :goodvibes

We're having pictures made that Monday, our photographer is there all the time and told us to just skip Sunday and focus are park days during the week crowd-wise. Really looking forward to it since we're usually at WDW.

I'm there at that time too. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be as quiet as what people think. There will be a lot of international tourism coming for their first taste of SW:GE and short park hours and ride closures will mean pretty big wait times.

Also, there's the possibility of whole days being rained out.

But I don't think it will be as packed as the crowds earlier this month.

I've gone a few times in January over the past few years. Usually the crowds are quite a bit lighter, but because of that, there are often closures of attractions, shows, and the like. Fantasmic, for example, doesn't always run at that time of year. With Rise of the Resistance opening this coming January, though, I would assume that crowds will be a little heavier than usual, and perhaps that the annual refurbs that would normally happen at that time would be rescheduled to accommodate the larger volume of guests.

I’ve only been to Disneyland once (in June), but am also going the same time as you. I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but thought this question might be helpful...

Can anyone tell me if Disneyland gets the big Brazilian tour groups like WDW does? Thanks!

I’m going about the same time, on January 15-18. I’m expecting the first 2 days will have less crowds and shorter park hours. I’m really hoping Splash Mountain isn’t closed that whole time and maybe it won’t be because of ROTR opening. If you want to see when rides have closed in the past, just search “historic ride closures of whatever ride touring plans.”

My better half is looking at us doing our first ever trip without the kids(now in college) at the same time. She is almost ready to book it! ::yes::

Some threads with helpful information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- this is a sticky thread from the top of the first page with lots of helpful links and threads
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread with very helpful information
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many helpful threads here!
Detailed Weather Data for DLR -- look up weather data for January -- about 7-10 days before your trip dates, start checking the local weather forecasts to know what's going on in Anaheim (abc7.com is one site to watch)
"Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36509602
"What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889
"Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- read the first post, then ask all your FP/MP questions in that thread -- you'll get great help there!

We spent 4 days at DLR January 8-11 2019 and we loved it. The crowds were definitely there, but I preferred it over Sept/Oct crowds as we found the park hours better and loved not being rushed out of the parks for the Hallow parties. Rope drop is key any time of year to get your itinerary going, we also utilized maxpass all four days and it helped immensely. Weather was perfect with sunshine everyday, it actually didn’t rain until our departure day on the 12th, so I can’t comment on the rain and the parks. Castle was under the tarps and Grizzly was down but that was it for refurbs and I felt like we got lucky. I wouldn’t hesitate to go in January, it was awesome :)

My daughter turns 4 on January 27 so we are driving up Sunday night so we can spend Monday at Disneyland. I’m hoping it’s not crazy due to ROTR and I hope it’s not rainy! But we are used to WDW rain, so we’ll wear ponchos and press on!

There is no way to predict when it will rain in So Cal. HOWEVER, keep in mind that MOST of the people in DL are locals, and a large percentage of those people have AP's. If it even threatens to rain, they stay home. The storms we do get tend to threaten to rain for hours, then will be an absolute deluge for about 30 minutes, then it clear out and it will be sunny. We try and bring full rain suits when rain is predicted (head to toe - don't forget how miserable wet shoes can be!). By all means though, pray for rain and go no matter what - those can be some of the best days to visit DL.

There is no way to predict when it will rain in So Cal. HOWEVER, keep in mind that MOST of the people in DL are locals, and a large percentage of those people have AP's. If it even threatens to rain, they stay home. The storms we do get tend to threaten to rain for hours, then will be an absolute deluge for about 30 minutes, then it clear out and it will be sunny. We try and bring full rain suits when rain is predicted (head to toe - don't forget how miserable wet shoes can be!). By all means though, pray for rain and go no matter what - those can be some of the best days to visit DL.

We just moved to San Diego from the South and it cracks me up when it “rains” here. People don’t know what to do. I bet a rainy day at Disneyland is amazing for crowds!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter