Anybody jump of the Dream?

Just putting it out there that a 'Brightstar' doesn't always have a terrible ending. It's rare that it does.
A lot of the time its because someones had a fall, or broken a bone, or collapsed...
I once got too hot in a crew drill (in the Bahamas, in a crazy small space, with a lifejacket on, and no air because we weren't on the open part of deck 4), I hadn't been 100% and my body gave up and I collapsed. They called a bright star. I got carried down to the medical centre but was back at work the next day.

Well that's definitely good to know!! When we asked the staff, we were told it was a medical emergency but later found out the lady who had the emergency passed away. We assumed because she died that Brightstar was the worst.

Well that's definitely good to know!! When we asked the staff, we were told it was a medical emergency but later found out the lady who had the emergency passed away. We assumed because she died that Brightstar was the worst.

I have been onboard for more than one occasion when unfortunately it has meant the worst.
But essentially it means "Hey, I need medical attention and I cant make it to the medical centre by myself right now"
The call is ship wide because people from all over need to attend (e.g. the stretcher team will be made up of your servers and housekeepers)
Its kinda like calling for an ambulance, most people will make a full recovery, but some won't.

I have been onboard for more than one occasion when unfortunately it has meant the worst.
But essentially it means "Hey, I need medical attention and I cant make it to the medical centre by myself right now"
The call is ship wide because people from all over need to attend (e.g. the stretcher team will be made up of your servers and housekeepers)
Its kinda like calling for an ambulance, most people will make a full recovery, but some won't.

We were having a "rough" (not really but definitely more than usual) sea day when we heard it. I got scared because I didn't know what it meant. haha I looked at my husband and said "Does that mean go to the life boats?!".

Thank you for explaining it!! :)

We were having a "rough" (not really but definitely more than usual) sea day when we heard it. I got scared because I didn't know what it meant. haha I looked at my husband and said "Does that mean go to the life boats?!".

If they mean life boats - which really means Muster Stations as that will not ALWAYS mean to abandon ship, they will flat-out SAY go to your Muster Station - and/or give the horn signal to do so. Which is what they say in Muster Drill if people are paying attention.

Dont worry. If they ever mean lifeboats, they'll make sure you know! "Abandon Ship" is usually the big give away with that one, but there will be a lot more announcements before that...

If they mean life boats - which really means Muster Stations as that will not ALWAYS mean to abandon ship, they will flat-out SAY go to your Muster Station - and/or give the horn signal to do so. Which is what they say in Muster Drill if people are paying attention.

I know. It was just one of those "what is happening" moments where it sounded very serious.

Dont worry. If they ever mean lifeboats, they'll make sure you know! "Abandon Ship" is usually the big give away with that one, but there will be a lot more announcements before that...

This particular cruise was only my second time cruising... now I'm seasoned haha I know better. :rolleyes:

We were on our verandah on deck 9, heard a crash and then a giant splash. We peered over the rail and saw a man in the water and started screaming man overboard! We raced up to the highest deck aft to try and locate him which we did and started screaming all over again. I was questioned by a crew member about what I heard and saw and was told he fell from deck 7 right below our staterooms. So scary and so glad they saved him.

Disney have used Mr Mob, for Man-Over-Board for at least three years now.
Even if it is totally unrelated its not necessarily top secret. I'm sure it would only take a few minutes of posting on here for someone to tell everyone what the code is for a medical emergency, or even a fire...

Prob not but Disney is fanatical about keeping things low profile. If you happen to be in a park for example, you'll never hear an ambulance getting dispatched ove a cms radio. You'll only hear Alpha 31 10/8 10/51 to a given location. She. The Mine Train caught forw, you only saw 1 fire truck in the park. None of the others came in. They were staged outside.

Disney have used Mr Mob, for Man-Over-Board for at least three years now.
Even if it is totally unrelated its not necessarily top secret. I'm sure it would only take a few minutes of posting on here for someone to tell everyone what the code is for a medical emergency, or even a fire...
Most people on cruises don't post here. We're are probably the 1%.

We were on our verandah on deck 9, heard a crash and then a giant splash. We peered over the rail and saw a man in the water and started screaming man overboard! We raced up to the highest deck aft to try and locate him which we did and started screaming all over again. I was questioned by a crew member about what I heard and saw and was told he fell from deck 7 right below our staterooms. So scary and so glad they saved him.
That's what my son said deck 7. Fell???? How do Fall from a cruise ship? Good job you probably had a lot to do with saving his life. He was lucky.
I always wonder of all the people that intentionally jump and are never rescued how many survive the initial jump. If they do does their natural instinct to survive kick in. I'm sure it does. We are animals and it's a natural fight or flight instinct that we have. How long do they fight before they give up? It's so sad really. There's no good way to comit suicide, but this has to be one of the worst.

So did the person fall or jump? I've read quite a few recounts at this point and half say jump, half say fell. Which implies accident. But I don't see how that's an accident unless there were some pretty rough seas.

So did the person fall or jump? I've read quite a few recounts at this point and half say jump, half say fell. Which implies accident. But I don't see how that's an accident unless there were some pretty rough seas.
Well, he could "fall" if he were doing something stupid. Like sitting on the railing. Or just being drunk (or stupid) and climbing up on the rail. Then he could "fall" (as in he didn't mean to go over, but did) as opposed to "jump".

Your not going over by accident. You either jump or someone threw you over.you could also be doing something stupid.

I actually heard someone recently tell me when talking about various cruise lines - 'but no one gets drunk on Disney cruises' So there you have it, no one has ever been drunk on a Disney ship. :rolleyes1
And how many cruises (Disney or otherwise) has that person been on?

Prob not but Disney is fanatical about keeping things low profile. If you happen to be in a park for example, you'll never hear an ambulance getting dispatched ove a cms radio. You'll only hear Alpha 31 10/8 10/51 to a given location. She. The Mine Train caught forw, you only saw 1 fire truck in the park. None of the others came in. They were staged outside.

Yeah, I know all that.
I was a first responder when I worked at DCL for the past three years...

But that's exactly my point. You'll never hear medical emergency on a ship. But a lot of people know what the code 'brightstar' is for.

It seems like most of the time this stuff happens at 3am and you assume alcoholl was a big factor in the decision process or it least it gave them the nerve to do it. I always assume they jumped because I really don't see how you can fall. As far as drunk people there's always a lot of alcohol being consumed in the cove area. I would assume people overdo it. There are a lot of people with mental illness. I don't think you necessarily have to be drunk to do something like this.

Most people on cruises don't post here. We're are probably the 1%.

Posting on here was just an example.
Different 'codes' went off when I worked onboard. Guests would ask what they were, we'd tell them.
A quick google search would often tell you the answer.
I'm sure if you're part of a fb group you'd find out on there too.

The point was it's not hard to decipher what the codes mean if you really want to know....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!