• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any school bus drivers out there?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Just curious.....do you have to do a proficiency test every 4 years (or however long your license is renewed for)?

I'm in CT and I heard that we're the only state that requires drivers to take this test. And that they're trying to get rid of it. Any truth to this? And if you DON'T have to take the test, is there anything you have to do instead? I mean, I'm sure there must be some kind of refresher that you're required to do.

Thanks!

My husband is a school bus driver in SC. He has to take a proficiency test every 2 years. He has to do a driving test, emergency evacuation, railroad crossing, etc. Is that what you were talking about? He also has to get a medical physical every 2 years and has to have 5 hours of classroom training every year. His license renews every 5 years.

My husband is a school bus driver in SC. He has to take a proficiency test every 2 years. He has to do a driving test, emergency evacuation, railroad crossing, etc. Is that what you were talking about? He also has to get a medical physical every 2 years and has to have 5 hours of classroom training every year. His license renews every 5 years.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I was told by our office that we're the only state that still do them. I'm surprised he has to do it every 2 years. Here, we do it co-inciding with when we renew our license (which is every 4 years) We have to do a pretrip, a pick up/drop off, railroad crossing and a road test. We also have 6 hrs of classroom training and have to get a medical physical every 2 years (or every 6 months-a year depending if you have medical issues)

My dh is a retired NYPD and now drives a school bus for NY BoE. He has to take tests all the time. Every August they have to sit through classes and once a year or every other year he has to be recertified. I think he also has to go to a class during the school year. I honestly cant remember because I feel lime they are always giving them some kind of test.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter