Any rumors or educated guesses on when/if they'll do away with the 50% max borrowing rule?

jkips

Mouseketeer
I totally understand why they did it with so many points accrued during the COVID related shut-down but at this point we're looking at new reservations being in the 2nd half of 2022 already. At some point those excess points will have been used up.

International travelers still can't use their points. So expect 18 to 24 months after they are permitted will the 50% rule be lifted. If ever.

I totally understand why they did it with so many points accrued during the COVID related shut-down but at this point we're looking at new reservations being in the 2nd half of 2022 already. At some point those excess points will have been used up.
There's likely still another year to go before the impact of the points build up starts to go away. And even then, DVC is under no obligation to revert the rules back. They may decide they quite like the 50% restriction and keep it indefinitely. I can think of a few reasons why they might like it.

They like to sell with full banking and borrowing. It's in all the sales material and makes the math look better. Of course, now they just say the same thing and say maybe you'll get to do this someday.

I actually can see lifting it sooner than later. It's problematic for the technology and for sales, which are inconveniences for DVC. They might not care about your issues, but they do care about theirs.

I would say we are at least 3 years out from the rule being put back. COVID created a HUGE points glut in the system with many groups of people unable to use their points and all of the resorts being closed for 3-12 months (depending on resort). This points glut will take a long time to go away. A lot of folks from outside the USA still can't use their points.

Also, as others have said...the rule may just stay at 50% even after COVID is done.

I hope so soon , I think it will next year they are going to need to fill the parks up next year

I hope so soon , I think it will next year they are going to need to fill the parks up next year

Except DVCM won’t make the decision…nor should they..based on parks. It’s about the number of points and rooms to go with them. They can not overload the system.

We are already seeing changes to people traveling this fall. That is pushing more points out again. I know think it will be 2023.

I’m with Sandi 2023 at earliest. Could see it being 2024 or never too.

It would be nice if they lifted that restriction as we would like to upgrade our room size for our next trip.

They'll figure out a way to make it an up charge. Need to borrow more than 50% of your points, you need to pay a fee to do so - maybe they charge per point to do so. Need to borrow an extra 50 points, it will cost you $2 per point or $100. The first 50% are free, the second 50% is an up-charge. Same for banking points...

But as an exclusive, if you purchase a 50 point add-on contract at Aulani, you will receive Borrow+ for free for a limited number of years.

Think about how the press release would read ... "We've heard your feedback, we have re-imagined how the DVC banking and borrowing system works! We will now charge a fee per point to bank or borrow more than 50% of your points. This will help to alleviate pressure on the overall DVC system and make everyone's booking experience more enjoyable. We look forward to you using the new DVC Point+ system!".

Maybe they will introduce an app at the same time that tells you to book your resort stay at a time with the least demand too. Want to book in December? We recommend you book in September instead!

They'll figure out a way to make it an up charge. Need to borrow more than 50% of your points, you need to pay a fee to do so - maybe they charge per point to do so. Need to borrow an extra 50 points, it will cost you $2 per point or $100. The first 50% are free, the second 50% is an up-charge. Same for banking points...

But as an exclusive, if you purchase a 50 point add-on contract at Aulani, you will receive Borrow+ for free for a limited number of years.

Think about how the press release would read ... "We've heard your feedback, we have re-imagined how the DVC banking and borrowing system works! We will now charge a fee per point to bank or borrow more than 50% of your points. This will help to alleviate pressure on the overall DVC system and make everyone's booking experience more enjoyable. We look forward to you using the new DVC Point+ system!".

Maybe they will introduce an app at the same time that tells you to book your resort stay at a time with the least demand too. Want to book in December? We recommend you book in September instead!

I would be very surprised if they would be able to do this legally. The POS guarantees us the right to bank and borrow. How much is up to DVCMC to decide the limits based on balancing the system.

Now, can I see them deciding to keep it at 50% for a long time? Yes, but the way I read things, the decision does have to be based on something, and not just because.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter