Any rumors about the old discovery island?

lisakramer

Mouseketeer
I'm curious if there are any plans for the old discovery island or whatever it was called over by wilderness lodge. It used to be an animal reserve you could visit? I never had a chance to see it, but I've driven one of the little mouse boats by it and it looks pretty cool!

Nothing substantial. The island has an antiquated infrastructure that would need complete overhaul before any projects could take place. This includes the state of the water lines and cables that are fed from Fort Wilderness to the island.
It's not suitable for a resort, as the method of transportation would be watercraft, and depending on the weather, they may not be able to operate, stranding Guests off or on the island.
There is no need for another zoological park, DAK is big enough.

There's more of a chance that River Country will be developed, to be honest.

I seem to remember there is a wildlife habitat protection situation that prevents any future use of the island.

There's more of a chance that River Country will be developed, to be honest.

As a haunted water park, perhaps. The google satellite images and the images captured by a group that went in there are downright creepy.

River Country: Haunted Water Park operates from Dusk to Dawn :)

I seem to remember there is a wildlife habitat protection situation that prevents any future use of the island.

I've heard numerous times from the boat captains on Bay Lake (so take it with a grain of salt) that there is a species of bird that nests on the island that makes it protected habitat. true :confused3 who knows?

I loved discovery island when I was a kid!
But yes AK is much bigger and better so not really any need to re launch DI....

River country was also one of my favourites! I get so sad when I see the pics people have put on abandoned websites of how it looks now :(

Does anyone know why they closed River country anyway?.....

And have you seen the pics from the guys that managed to get on DI at night a few years ago...? very very creepy!!!!!

I'm curious if there are any plans for the old discovery island or whatever it was called over by wilderness lodge. It used to be an animal reserve you could visit? I never had a chance to see it, but I've driven one of the little mouse boats by it and it looks pretty cool!

I've done threads on this before and really nothing looks to be happening with it. Someone illegally swam to the island and did a blog on it i forget who it was but they found everything was just left and abandoned like river country. No animals were left there but all the buildings they found were there and they only were able to search half the island and supposedly there was more on the other side. I've heard any rumors that River country will be demolished and turned into a DVC resort or an addition to fort wilderness. Nothing is for sure until it or until we see work being done. But i definitely think River country would be the first to be worked on.

disney lover at heart

River country was also one of my favourites! I get so sad when I see the pics people have put on abandoned websites of how it looks now :(

And have you seen the pics from the guys that managed to get on DI at night a few years ago...? very very creepy!!!!!

I've heard reasons for the closing of river country was liability issues and safety it was a great place but a place for something bad waiting to happen.

disney lover at heart

Some very old rumors. A few very expensive private villas intended for honeymooners. Some kind of Myst interactive experience.

I'm sure the PP are correct, the expense of developing the island compared with other available land, isn't worth it.

I heard that there was a specific nesting species on the island so no opportunity to do anything with it. I'm sure it was agreed to as part of permitting for other projects.

It would be interesting to know the actual reasons/details. I agree River Country will be developed into something first.

I heard they closed River County due to the fact that the water was fed from the lake, which contained bacteria which could be considered harmful to some people. They would have had to re do River Country so that the water fed into it was purified(to expensive) now they have other water parks (now it is redundant) so there was no need to spend money on River Country and they closed it. Rumors have gone round and round with plans for River Country, and someone even posted building plans which involved the land it was on, but nothing has ever been built and no project has ever been mentioned by big wigs. Still the love of River Country is so much for people that the rumors keep going, which is fine by me because it gives me a reason to remember my "ole swimmin hole". I d recall spending a lot of time in that bacteria infested soup and never had any problem from it, just another sign of how overly protective we as a society are becoming. everyone needs to be sterilized with hand cleaner, fed foods free of everything and play sports where everyone wins. Darwin would roll over in his grave if he observed this

I heard they closed River County due to the fact that the water was fed from the lake, which contained bacteria which could be considered harmful to some people. They would have had to re do River Country so that the water fed into it was purified(to expensive) now they have other water parks (now it is redundant) so there was no need to spend money on River Country and they closed it. Rumors have gone round and round with plans for River Country, and someone even posted building plans which involved the land it was on, but nothing has ever been built and no project has ever been mentioned by big wigs. Still the love of River Country is so much for people that the rumors keep going, which is fine by me because it gives me a reason to remember my "ole swimmin hole". I d recall spending a lot of time in that bacteria infested soup and never had any problem from it, just another sign of how overly protective we as a society are becoming. everyone needs to be sterilized with hand cleaner, fed foods free of everything and play sports where everyone wins. Darwin would roll over in his grave if he observed this

I heard this as well

I heard that there was a specific nesting species on the island so no opportunity to do anything with it. I'm sure it was agreed to as part of permitting for other projects.

It would be interesting to know the actual reasons/details. I agree River Country will be developed into something first.

The story I heard was after the AK park opened many of the animals were transferred there. The rumor is the birds just disappeared.

There is a minimal risk that one person in 7 gazillion could get sick. I read about an example about a year ago I think that happened in a Florida river. It is a specific Amoeba or microorganism that can be deadly. Of course your chances of getting sick from it are about the same as getting into that castle suite. :scratchin

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/17/news/la-heb-courtney-nash-amoeba-water-illness-2010817

Above is the link to the story. There are also other illnesses.

I do agree with you however that I personally swam in that water for hours at a time and over several years and do not remember being sick from it. It is the regulations that were put in place that prevented Disney from operating it any longer. Bummer. I'd still take the chance and have a good ol' time on that zip line. Quick, grab the hand sanitizer. I just saw a germ.:rotfl2::rotfl2:

:rotfl:

I've heard numerous reasons and factors that ended up leading to River Country's doom and downfall.

1. The above mentioned issues with the main "swimmin' hole" sharing it's water with the lake.... ie. Sanitation, etc

2. River Country was the first onsite water park. In the decade before it's closing however, Disney had opened 2 new Water parks that were larger and offered more for guests in the way of attractions, food, etc.. As a result, River country ended up being the smaller, less 'thrilling', waterpark onsite, but still cost the same to enter.

3. Liability issues. Namely.... This was a water park that opened in the 70's. It had deep pools, Drop slides, and in the biggest section, murky lake water. In Today's litigious society it was a park full of potential legal nightmares.

4. Access. it was hidden all the way in the back of Fort Wilderness and therefore the transportation and parking situation for most visitors was a nightmare (compared to the other water parks which were located on main roads and had their own parking lots right outside the park gates).

5. And finally..... the final death knell......The Tourism collapse that followed 9/11. With the decline in Tourists visiting the resort in the years following 9/11 (the same one that led to the demise of Pop's Legendary Years), There was no reason to deal with the expense and trouble of keeping 3 on-site water parks open as there wasn't enough guests visiting Disney Water Parks to fill them all. Due to all of the above reasons, it was decided to just close River Country and focus on the 2 newer parks.

As for the ole' Discovery Island... i honestly don't foresee much happening with it. When AK opened it made the nature preserve of the island redundant, so they moved the animals from the Island to the AK Park.... and even took the Island's name and brought it to the new park to replace the Safari Village name. (the home of the Tree Of Life)

Now, especially with the increasing number of guests visiting the resort, I can't see any potential use of the island that would make the logistic issues worth it. It's a small, isolated Island which can only be accessed via watercraft. It's too small to house anything that would be a large draw. There are better locations for a small, upscale, Boutique style park or hotel... the property is large enough they still have isolated areas they could build something if that's the vibe they want, yet still have an easier time with the logistics of supplies. And as an island, In Florida.... they can't do an open beach for swimming (anymore), and the frequency of storms would make for unpredictable access when watercraft would need to be shut down for safety reasons.

I honestly think from Disney's standpoint, It just make more sense to designate the island as another "Conservation land" area than spend the money to bring it's infrastructure to the point that they could do anything with the area again. Since Disney pretty much controls the land use for their property, They can take this old guest area and do one of their land use trades to re-purpose existing Conservation Land to another use while maintaining their overall conservation land allotment the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter