Any one ever stayed in a really really cheap hotel?

Just pulled up the Maingate Lakeside on Google Earth and realized that is where my wife and I actually spent the night of our 1 year anniversary. This would be almost 14 years ago now when it was a Best Western and I was working in hotel management and was a Best Western employee at the time so I got a nice discount. I have to say it was a bit sketchy then, even licensed as a national chain, so I could only imagine the condition it would be in now. The main problem with rates that low is not the actual property but the type of clientele those rates attract that you are surrounded with.
I stayed there about 30 years ago. It was a Sheraton and was OK. Later it was down graded to a 4 Points then to a Best Western.

I read, an internet fact, there is an asbestos issue. Allegedly downgrading the property made more sense then renovation or tearing it down.

At one time it was a la Quinta I think after it was a BW

Last edited:
To answer the OPs question. Hotels in Vegas still make a lot of their money with guests gambling. Low hotel rates don't necessarily mean low quality. That said $25 for Vegas, today, is a little suspect.

Even pre-covid Orlando had a surplus of hotel rooms. Hotels can renovate, keep their properties fresh and charge a reasonable (profitable) rate. The Rosen hotels are good examples. Hotels in Disney Springs are generally good. Lower category Marriott and Hyatt hotels are generally OK. There are some good deals in Flamingo Springs.

Low rated hotels (low priced) attract prostitutes, drug deals and low income housing. You're looking at rooms with mold and mildew. Bugs. Cigarette burns. AC filters that are filthy. Towels and sheets with holes. Towels that are so thread bare they won't dry you.

I stayed in a Knights Inn, maybe 30 years ago. Included continental breakfast was so bad I grabbed coffee and danish at 7-11 on the way to the parks. I was fooled by a good AAA rating and was staying by myself. I was meeting family, rope drop to park close (many nights pleasure island) I didn't bother trying to find a better hotel. The on property Disney hotels were all booked. It was around $40. The deadbolt didn't even work.

JMO, around $100 /night is the minimum rate to expect a decent room. A few dollars less if you have a promotional rate or slow season. Anything you can readily get for under $80 requires a lot of research. Under $20 a night, worse then you could possibly imagine.

Really sketchy hotels in Orlando seem to be able to get 3* ratings. Anything below 3.5 * requires research. Look at RECENT reviews on trip advisor, yelp etc.

JMO, the only reason to books some of the hotels. Sometimes you'll get package price for air and hotel which is much cheaper then just air. The included hotels are the kind listed in the OP. Consider it an air only booking and don't even think of checking into the hotel.

edited to add with the air hotel package deals...a throwaway room is frequently a better deal the upgrading the hotel in the package.

I stayed in a Knights Inn, maybe 30 years ago. Included continental breakfast was so bad I grabbed coffee and danish at 7-11 on the way to the parks. I was fooled by a good AAA rating and was staying by myself. I was meeting family, rope drop to park close (many nights pleasure island) I didn't bother trying to find a better hotel. The on property Disney hotels were all booked. It was around $40. The deadbolt didn't even work.
I remember the Knights Inn!!

We stayed there once when I was a kid. They had those stupid brushed copper lights above the bed that were supposed to be, candles or something, I dunno. I remember those as I learned a bunch of fun new words the morning my dad woke up and rung his bell on one!!

Smell is something to consider since most cheap hotels keep carpet for a long time and the carpet absorbs odors.

Smell is something to consider since most cheap hotels keep carpet for a long time and the carpet absorbs odors.
The carpet might be sprayed with something that leaves a chemical odor. Replacing carpets or putting down floor without carpets doesn't really happen with these hotels.

edited to add
Sleeping in your car would be better then booking some of the low hotels. You even have to be careful with the reviews. A few of the 1* hotels might have a couple of decent rooms. One or two good reviews could be from either a person who got lucky with the room or, more likely, a shill review.

Last edited:
A little off topic, when we went to Williamsburg Va (and can I say Williamsburg area has both awful hotels and restaurants) we stayed at the Governor's Inn which was a Williamsburg property.
A slight digression, in the past we stayed in Williamsburg at a Rodeway Inn (looked like something a serial killer would inhabit), Comfort Inn ( only a little yuccky) and somewhere else where (name eludes me or maybe it is just the truma) the students who work at the surrounding businesses stay for the summer (a name brand hotel but who knew when we booked).
So I am all excited to stay at Governor's Inn. I picture some beautiful Colonial Inn, with nice bedding and well you get the picture. We pull up, it is a brick motel that is literally falling apart. The pool is the size of a tea cup loaded with people. On the way to the room the ground is littered with cigarette butts and the cement and brick stairs are crumbling to the point of dangerousness. I am really annoyed because I had begged my husband to make sure this place was not one of the garbage pits of the past. I think I am such a judgmental jerk, don't judge a book by its cover. So what the doors to the unit are hollow flush. I mean every hotel of note has initials carved into the walls of the room, don't they? The scent of a backed up toilet only adds to the ambiance right? Then I find out the plumbing does not work in the bathroom and bonus when I pull back the sheet on the bed for my check there is a red hair of unmentionable origin on the sheets which clearly were not changed looking at the wrinkle marks.
We spend more time getting our room changed at the desk. Next room, yep you guessed it the toilet does not work either. Finally, they put us in one of their nicer (think Quality Inn nice) properties. The clerk was kind of embarrassed because he said if we had booked for more than 2 nights he could have moved us sooner. Apparently, the complaints for this place are so bad that they plan on moving you to the "nicer" after only one complaint if you book long enough. Was this a test? OMG it was horrible. I saw it was one of the Williamsburg properties and the Trip Advisor reviews were good! Who knew it was going to be an "EWW DAVID".

I've stayed at Williamsburg properties before (usually the Woodlands, which is nice). Never stayed at the Governor's Inn. You'll be happy to know that the Governor's Inn is permanently closed:

https://www.dailypress.com/virginia...0200818-5zkc2iaevfc6jlzjptq7g2gkly-story.html

I've stayed at Williamsburg properties before (usually the Woodlands, which is nice). Never stayed at the Governor's Inn. You'll be happy to know that the Governor's Inn is permanently closed:

https://www.dailypress.com/virginia...0200818-5zkc2iaevfc6jlzjptq7g2gkly-story.html
That was the one they put us up in The Woodlands! Wow they closed Governor's Inn I cannot imagine why? LOL ! I HOPE that they at least saved the initials which were carved in the wall of the room as a memento to a truly terrible hotel.

I've stayed at some cheap hotels all over the world, so there isn't much that surprises me.

I worked at a motel after high school very briefly, as in 2 days. Cleaning the rooms was pretty gross and I could tell this was a no-tell motel. I had an issue with the fact that we weren't given anything safe to handle the dirty needles that needed to be disposed. I cleaned around those and left them where they were...management could solve THAT issue as to disposal. My 2nd day, which is when I quit, one of the rooms had a note that let me know my tip was in the toilet...charming. What made me quit though was the 2nd room, I opened the door and there was blood everywhere. Like someone got in a brutal fight. When I asked what happened, no one knew.

I've stayed at some cheap hotels all over the world, so there isn't much that surprises me.

I worked at a motel after high school very briefly, as in 2 days. Cleaning the rooms was pretty gross and I could tell this was a no-tell motel. I had an issue with the fact that we weren't given anything safe to handle the dirty needles that needed to be disposed. I cleaned around those and left them where they were...management could solve THAT issue as to disposal. My 2nd day, which is when I quit, one of the rooms had a note that let me know my tip was in the toilet...charming. What made me quit though was the 2nd room, I opened the door and there was blood everywhere. Like someone got in a brutal fight. When I asked what happened, no one knew.
I love the cleaning staff at our hotel. I'm not a lazy person but I have no idea how they do it day after day for such little pay. It's scary what they have to clean up at times, especially after weddings!!

I keep telling myself that the next trip we’ll stay offsite. And then a trip comes along and I price out a hotel I’d actually stay in, and find that I can get into a Disney value resort for a comparable price. A lot of times we will get a cheap hotel in Orlando the first night because we drive. But I’d never really want to stay in any of them a full week and we don’t even spend much time at the resorts.

My answer is no to a cheap resort on purpose. First, you have to consider Covid contamination. Next, you are on vacation; so, why would you do it? If you can't afford a better resort then save up and go at another time.

The lower end resorts are noted for drug dealers/users and prostitutes. The noise levels are terrible through the night. I couldn't sleep wondering if my car was getting vandalized or stolen. I think you would be better off sleeping in your car at a WalMart parking lot.

Filters on the A/Cs are never changed and you are breathing this air. You'll be lucky if your room will even be cool. You need to launder the room's towels and bed linen before using any of it. Bed bugs can get on you and your luggage and follow you everywhere you go. There are other bugs to worry about and rodents, too.

To me this is not vacation.

Last edited:
To answer the OPs question. Hotels in Vegas still make a lot of their money with guests gambling. Low hotel rates don't necessarily mean low quality. That said $25 for Vegas, today, is a little suspect.

Even pre-covid Orlando had a surplus of hotel rooms. Hotels can renovate, keep their properties fresh and charge a reasonable (profitable) rate. The Rosen hotels are good examples. Hotels in Disney Springs are generally good. Lower category Marriott and Hyatt hotels are generally OK. There are some good deals in Flamingo Springs.

Low rated hotels (low priced) attract prostitutes, drug deals and low income housing. You're looking at rooms with mold and mildew. Bugs. Cigarette burns. AC filters that are filthy. Towels and sheets with holes. Towels that are so thread bare they won't dry you.

JMO, around $100 /night is the minimum rate to expect a decent room. A few dollars less if you have a promotional rate or slow season. Anything you can readily get for under $80 requires a lot of research. Under $20 a night, worse then you could possibly imagine.

Really sketchy hotels in Orlando seem to be able to get 3* ratings. Anything below 3.5 * requires research. Look at RECENT reviews on trip advisor, yelp etc.

JMO, the only reason to books some of the hotels. Sometimes you'll get package price for air and hotel which is much cheaper then just air. The included hotels are the kind listed in the OP. Consider it an air only booking and don't even think of checking into the hotel.

edited to add with the air hotel package deals...a throwaway room is frequently a better deal the upgrading the hotel in the package.

I stayed at the Rosen on Palm Parkway the last time I went to WDW and for a cheap hotel, it was pretty good. No sketchy characters and rooms were well cleaned. I'm not pressing my luck with a lot of others, but I can vouch for that location.

No… at one point many years back we tried some cheap 100.oo room off I95, we didn’t even make it to the room. There were enough undesirables in the parking lot and filthy looking trash strewn about. We just left. No cheap rooms!

My answer is no to a cheap resort on purpose. First, you have to consider Covid contamination. Next, you are on vacation; so, why would you do it? If you can't afford a better resort then save up and go at another time.

The lower end resorts are noted for drug dealers/users and prostitutes. The noise levels are terrible through the night. I couldn't sleep wondering if my car was getting vandalized or stolen. I think you would be better off sleeping in your car at a WalMart parking lot.

Filters on the A/Cs are never changed and you are breathing this air. You'll be lucky if your room will even be cool. You need to launder the room's towels and bed linen before using any of it. Bed bugs can get on you and your luggage and follow you everywhere you go. There are other bugs to worry about and rodents, too.

To me this is not vacation.
To be fair, cars have been broken into and things stolen from even the Disney World resorts.

Although cars can be vandalized anywhere the odds go up when you are in an undesirable area. Safety is worth something, too.

I stayed at the Rosen on Palm Parkway the last time I went to WDW and for a cheap hotel, it was pretty good. No sketchy characters and rooms were well cleaned. I'm not pressing my luck with a lot of others, but I can vouch for that location.
The Rosen hotels have a reputation for being good value. It's a small local chain, and the founder is known as a philanthropist in the area. We stayed at the Rosen Closest to Universal, and it was a really positive experience. Definitely no frills or anything, but it was just so CLEAN, and the parking lot was gated with an attendant, so I didn't worry about the car. I think this is one of the brands where it's pretty safe to grab a low price if you see one.

I keep telling myself that the next trip we’ll stay offsite. And then a trip comes along and I price out a hotel I’d actually stay in, and find that I can get into a Disney value resort for a comparable price. A lot of times we will get a cheap hotel in Orlando the first night because we drive. But I’d never really want to stay in any of them a full week and we don’t even spend much time at the resorts.
You certainly aren't looking at the right placed or renting direct from owners. The value of offsite is mostly found in renting a vacation home, condo or timeshare. You should be able to find a much larger room (two or three bedroom and multiple baths) for about the same cost as a Disney value resort. Think of places like Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek or Sheraton Vistana Resort.

Actually, I've experienced all the above at pricey resorts and premier cruiselines. Dirty AC filters (Celebrity and Princess Cruiselines are notorious for never changing filters - but that may have changed with covid.) "Energy efficient" AC that doesn't cool the room properly (looking at you Disney!), worn towels and linens. And bed bugs don't discriminate: they infest many 5 star joints, as well as the lower end places.

Not saying you're wrong...paying more probably lowers the chances of these issues. Just saying I've spent more and still dealt with some of this stuff. Then it's doubly aggravating to me because I wasted a lot more money.

Last edited:
About 40 years ago my then boyfriend, now husband, decided to go to San Francisco for the first time. I came from a small town so in looking at hotels I found one on Main Street which seemed like it would be a good location. After all, everything is on Main street where I grew up. Can’t remember the price but I’m guessing it was really cheap.
We got there and it was in a horrible part of town, dirty, etc. but we had no choice. Our room had about a 5 inch gap under the door making easy access for the rats I just knew were lurking about. And the door had at one time been jimmied open. Oh and a bullet hole. We were young and stupid, laughed and stayed 2 nights.
On another trip a few years later, we went to Ohio, around Toledo. Stayed at a chain. Our first room the toilet didn’t work so we got moved. Because the towels were so small and thin I just took the towels with me up to the next room. About 30 min later the owner was banging on our door yelling thst I had stolen his towels. I sheepishly gave them back. We stayed one night there. Another laughing moment.

It’s those memories that make life fun

About 40 years ago my then boyfriend, now husband, decided to go to San Francisco for the first time. I came from a small town so in looking at hotels I found one on Main Street which seemed like it would be a good location. After all, everything is on Main street where I grew up. Can’t remember the price but I’m guessing it was really cheap.
We got there and it was in a horrible part of town, dirty, etc. but we had no choice. Our room had about a 5 inch gap under the door making easy access for the rats I just knew were lurking about. And the door had at one time been jimmied open. Oh and a bullet hole. We were young and stupid, laughed and stayed 2 nights.
On another trip a few years later, we went to Ohio, around Toledo. Stayed at a chain. Our first room the toilet didn’t work so we got moved. Because the towels were so small and thin I just took the towels with me up to the next room. About 30 min later the owner was banging on our door yelling thst I had stolen his towels. I sheepishly gave them back. We stayed one night there. Another laughing moment.

It’s those memories that make life fun
I have to say I agree... this goes along with my first apartment. Now I laugh but then it did not matter... we went to Galveston it was our first trip as friends on our own. The hotel was shady and run down and people hanging out outside offering us to hang and they would buy as a 40.
we told ourselves no big deal we are going to the beach!!!
If my parents knew....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter