Any luck requesting a private table for dining?

We always request a private table, and I always check at the dining changes table to make sure our request is granted. In 5 cruises, our private table was arranged ahead of time for 3 of them. The 2 cruises where our request was not granted ahead of time a private table was arranged for us at the dining changes table. Both of the cruises where the request was not granted ahead of time was on the Wonder. We always do late dining.

I do find it kind of ironic how many people are all about FE groups and getting to know people online before the cruise on social media, etc. and yet it never seems to occur to them that they could link reservations for dining with these new "friends" they have met online. Just an observation I've made recently.
I always do a Fish Extender exchange, but also always request a private table. In my case it isn't ironic because the FE is about gift giving rather than socializing. FE sign-up by itself isn't anything social: you typically give your stateroom number, names, ages and favorite characters, then are added to a list. That's it. Some people choose to get to know others better pre-cruise via Cruise Meets or Facebook, but that socialization is separate from joining an FE group.

I really enjoy prepping the gifts and my son likes passing them out. He doesn't care about getting anything via the FE- he just enjoys giving. It's an enjoyable act of good will on our parts. We're both introverts, but we don't dislike strangers- we simply don't want to have to chat with them over dinner every night while on vacation.

Last edited:
We've requested a private table each cruise since our third one and been granted it each time. Coming up will be our 8th, and this thread reminded me that I forgot to request it when I made the reservation. Guess I'll be calling DCL Monday. :)

I've cruised solo for 10+ cruises and each time I've requested my own table I have received it. My requests for a table by myself included a maiden voyage cruise, transatlantic cruise and a specialty cruise.

Just back from my cruise on the Fantasy and we did have a private table. Even got the coveted teacup booth/table so that was a surprise.

So out of the 3 requests I've put in for a private table, I've been given a table now 2 out of 3 times.

the optimal time is as soon as you can. - either email or call DCL.
Not guaranteed you will get it, but the sooner the better. If that fails, go to guest services or MDR crew desk upon embarking (usually they will tell you at GS where it's located)

Is there a certain e-mail to use to make the request?

We requested upon making reservation (party of 3). Did not get one, so requested again on embarkation day. Still no-go, but we were early seating. I was given the strong impression that if we changed to late seating it may be possible. However, we sat with another family of 3 and had a lovely time. (I will still request it for next cruise b/c you never know!)

Is there a certain e-mail to use to make the request?

Well...what do you know... I got an email from DCL on the weekend where they told me we were moved to the EARLY dining...
Only took them 3 months to honor the request but don't matter: I am Sooooo HAPPY!!!

Email is the main email address you get notified about your booking.... dcl.reservations at disneycruise dot com

Happy cruisin'

Yes! We didn't know to request one our first cruise and lucked out, but did request our second cruise and were also granted a private table.

I agree with the post that suggested we should be able to choose if we want a private table instead of having to request it. I think it would be convenient for everyone to be given a choice of private or shared table. It may decrease the amount of issues that need to be addressed when people board.

Personally, it's not about wanting or not wanting to meet new people. My husband and I meet lots of new people everywhere on the ship. If we have something in common we would take time to speak with them. For me, it's about having dinner with strangers, whether we have a lot in common or not, I would prefer to make the choice of who I would like to dine with.

But more importantly, I consider every trip we do as a family vacation so I prefer to spend time with just my family during dinner. On the cruise, my children are older now and they spend most of their time with their new friends or respective clubs. So the time we spend during dinner is important. I want to be able to catch up with what we did during the day and plans for tomorrow. Dinner time is quality time for us (on vacation and at home), so it's important for us as a family to connect.

As much as others may be great to speak with, and as selfish as it may sound, I truly only value our family time.

Last edited:
We've been on four DCL cruises and have never made a request for a private table, but we've had our own table anyway on three out of the four cruises. Party of four, all main dining. So it's hard to know for sure how many of the "granted" requests people are reporting actually had anything to do with the request at all, rather than just luck of the draw.

Not that it especially matters, I guess. It doesn't hurt to make the request, and it seems that the odds of a private table are in your favour anyway, except maybe if you specifically request otherwise. Party size is probably a factor as well.

Actually we saw a table for 14 on the most recent WBPC cruise on the Wonder, so a group larger than 12 is certainly possible.

After sitting with other couples at 6-top tables for a number of cruises, we first requested our own table for two starting with the WBTA on the Magic in 2016. Since then, we have been successful 9 out of 10 cruises. It may have helped our success rate that most of these have been on itineraries where the ships were not at full passenger capacity, although all staterooms were full, including Transatlantic and Panama Canal itineraries. The cruise where we were not at our own table was an Western Caribbean on the Fantasy that was absolutely packed with passengers. On a second Fantasy cruise, we were originally assigned to a table for four, but the other two passengers requested to move to a table for two on departure day, and we ended up alone at our assigned table when their request was granted.
We had a table for 15 on the Wonder (really two 8 top tables pushed together), so that is possible as well.

We’ve also requested private tables for 4 on three cruises and have gotten them every time. They were all on late dining.

Last edited:
I've never requested a private table - and I have always tried to prepare my family for the potential that we won't have a table of our own. We don't object to sharing and getting to know others - though I am certainly more outgoing than my beloved. In three cruises, we have always had a private table. Perhaps we are due? Or maybe with so many people requesting private tables, there is no one left to join us?

We just said on the Fantasy and we were assigned seconding dining. I requested a private table and main dining and both requests were granted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter