Any FWers from the 80s around?

:woohoo:
I was born in '76, so I was still pretty young in the 80s, but I remember hitting FW plenty of times throughout the decade.

I used to love River Country. I may be crazy, but for some reason I also remember making your own pizzas at Crocket's a long time ago. Did they ever have something like this at one time?

:woohoo: Yes you made your pizza as many toppings as you wanted for 10ent per bowl then into the oven get your drinks they had it all timed so your pizza was done by the time you got to checkout oh yeah the foil with your name on it with your pizza then get a seat and listen to the bango those were gooooooooooooooood times.

The train was still running the first time I came to the fort.I remember that as more fun than going to the Magic Kingdom.I Loooooved Discovery Island and River Country.When we would come in the 80's the trams were fun,especially if you got a fun driver:woohoo: :woohoo: .Swimming in Bay lake and the walking the nature trail were fun too.

I remember going through check in with my grandparents in the early 80s and the blue angels flying over. Watching them through the trees was amazing as they were practicing for a show nearby. Not only did I get to dream about disney that week, but got to add in being a fighter pilot at the same time. I am sure my dreams that week were me protecting the castle from the enemies.

Spent quite a few spring breaks from grade school there with my parents and grandparents. Loved every minute of it and now I get to share that with my kids(even though we stay in the cabins now)

From when I was around 10 to 16 or so (1982 to 1988), my family went to Fort Wilderness annually for 8-10 days around the Easter/Passover school break.

Wondering if any of the DISers here used to go down there as kids/teens at that time?! Those were some of the best times ever. Oh, those beach parties! The golf cart "incidents"! And the "Mickey"s always chasing everyone away!

Anyone? Anyone?

We started going to WDW in late 1971 and IIRC bay lake still wasn't filled or maybe even completely excavated. Then it was DL during the early to mid 70's when I was stationed out on the west coast and then WDW in 1977 and then when we settled into NoVa we started going every year or two starting in 1985 always staying at FW.

I remember the "A,B,C,D,E" ride ticket coupons both from WDW and DL. Things like the carousel were "A" rides and things like space mtn were "E" rides and you got like 4 A's 4 B's 2or3 C's and D's and like 2 E's with you admission and could buy extra tickets at kiosks in each land. When we were out in Ca and doing the DL thing DW had an acquaintance who had a friend that had access to extra tickets and remember getting "brown lunch" bags full of tickets of various flavors. :thumbsup2

We had an old chair and couch that had broken spring supports and was saggy as heck that we and our son's refer to the "E" ride furniture and still to this day call things that can be an adventure as an "E ride". :lmao:

Both our sons grew up doing the "Disney" thing and camping since they were toddlers and still do now in their late 20's and early 30's. Of course now they tend to prefer going to the BW for all hours of the nite vice "pool hoping" and just hanging out with the "Ole Folks" at the trailer. :rotfl:

Larry

We have friends who went in the late 80's...and they told us that the trailers...(before the cabins) were located closer to the Meadow Pool and recreation area. She remembers being able to walk to the pool from her trailer loop.They also used the open air trams to get around the campground. They liked that better than the busses. Wish I had been there for that. We first went in the mid 90's and they had already moved the trailers to location where the cabins are currently located, and had done away with the trams.

We have friends who went in the late 80's...and they told us that the trailers...(before the cabins) were located closer to the Meadow Pool and recreation area. She remembers being able to walk to the pool from her trailer loop.They also used the open air trams to get around the campground. They liked that better than the busses. Wish I had been there for that. We first went in the mid 90's and they had already moved the trailers to location where the cabins are currently located, and had done away with the trams.

Ah yes forgot about the FW trams, one of which I think was the silver flagged tram, which I think went away sometime in the late 1980's. I wish I had been staying at FW when the trains were in operation, but alas they were gone by our first FW experience in 1985. The trams were originally replaced IIRC with hand me down non air conditioned cast buses and were something like brown flagged, etc. IIRC I think during the summer they even used the cast "cattle car" buses every once in a while for FW. Then we had "Boone/Crockett" followed by "Chip/Dale" and now the messed up colored buses that are often wrong or not going where they say they should go. :rotfl:

What I really miss is having the TTC as the hub for the WDW transporation system. Taking a bus to EPCOT vice the Monorail just isn't the same and getting to ride the ferry now when staying at FW takes some planning.

Larry

I grew up staying at FW. I remember the trams. There was one driver there that was the greatest. You always wanted to get on that tram. I can't remember the first year we stayed there. Once we started though it was every year.

DH & I have been FtW regulars since 1974 - and our honeymoon in a borrowed pop-up camper. Now, are you ready for this? Because we were both Telco employees, we were automatically members of the Magic Kingdom Club - which entitled you to discounts on tickets & special vacation packages. Our honeymoon package was this:

7 nights/8 days at FtW
3 dinners at any full service restaurant (We chose Polynesian Review, brunch at Top of the World, Dinner at Crockett's Tavern -which was a full service restaurant at that time.)
2 lunches
2 breakfasts
3 Coupon Books each of A,B,C,D,E & Golden Key tickets.
30 minute rental of water sprite
1 hour horseback ride
1 Ticket each for Marshmallow Marsh

All of this was for the HUGE amount of $350.00!! (Which at the time was a small fortune for us.)

In 1974 the steam locomotive was in operation & we love hopping aboard & just riding the train around the campground. There was a depot at what is now Settlement Depot and another at the Outpost. I really miss the train.

The tram came in either the late 70's or early 80's (I don't recall exactly when), then in the mid to late-80's came the busses.

FtW has certainly changed alot since 1974 - when there were cypress mulch walkways instead of paved sidewalks, Settlement Trading Post was actually the larger of the two, there were no cabins and only one pool.

I still love FtW, however!!

My DH and I have been going to the fort since 1978. My BIL had a motorhome and stayed there. My DH wanted to buy one. I told him he married the wrong person. Why should I cook & clean on vacation. Well we had met in a hotel in upstate NY. We both worked there and when I realized that a hotel ment other peoples dirt he talked me into it. We have had one on and off since 1978. I thought every CG was like the FT, boy was I suprised. Our kids loved riding the trams at night, I do remember the tickets with ABCD. I don't think there were golf carts when we first started going. I know there was no Epcot. I remember the train and the trailers. I think they were widerness by fleetwood. I love the FT now as much as the first time we went. We are so lucky to live in FL now. We usually try to go once a month. Right now I don't have any reses until Sept. but will make June, and Aug. I don't like to plan in advance we used to just pull in and get a site. But now you better make up your mind when you want to go, so I have to plan.

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks but this topic made me register. Went to the Fort in '77 with my parents and 4 other families. Wow what a time we had. We were there for the next 4 years and my parents decided to tkae a break. My cousin and packed up my van and headed south. We were 18 and taking oour first of many road trips. We spent three days at the fort and then a week in the keys. The parties, the walk to the marina with the girl from the campsite next door and the "dates" to parade on the lake are all memories that are making me smile as I write this. This sat. Me, my wife and 7 year old twin girls leave for the fort. We now travel in a 31' Brave I hope that these trips mean as much to the girls as they didi for me. By the way I love this forum, you guys crack me up

As my tag says, been camping since 1972(I was 2, but I was there). We lived only a few hours south in Boca Raton, so we would go whenever my parents felt like it(back then you could get a site without planning ahead). As we got older I remember spending 2 weeks over the 4th of July with my grandparents and cousins in the site next door. When we arrived and got in the check in line my DB, DS and I would exit the MH and head to the train, when the site was set up and our parents wanted us back they would leave our bikes at the Settlment train station.
Settlement was the bigger TP and had a small deli as well as soft serve ice cream. Occasionally Mr. Smee would come skiing past the beach and soak anyone out on the platform. The trams were the BEST. When the buses came, the bus went around in one direction and the tram in the other. You could actually feed the animals in the petting farm, we used to make popcorn back at the MH then bring it to the goats in a large brown bag(they ate that too). AHHH the good old days:cloud9:

I have been going to FW since 1979 I love staying at FW. It is the reason we own a 5er and 2 golf carts. Plus my parents TT.

I am loving the responses here. The nostalgia is so enjoyable. And welcome Ayeroller!

I bow down to those of you who were there even way before I was. By the time we started going in '82, the train had already been decomissioned and the tickets for MK and Epcot (which just opened) were paper tickets with blanks for the number of days you purchased which they would manually stamp with the date when you entered.

The trams were still around though, and there was no Meadow trading post, zero pools, and yes! you did go to get golf carts at 6AM! :) I loved all of those wooded paths, and the make-your-own pizza!

We were getting in "trouble" nightly for the beach parties (gentle trouble, the "Mickeys" would drive us back to our sites on their little carts), and loved seeing a lot of the same teens around every April when we went. I kept in touch with some of those people for 10+ years. My brother would hotwire the golf carts and we'd drive them waaaay down the beach and off into the woods where there was nothing (now it's Wilderness Lodge territory).

And remember when you really were the only one at MK in the morning if you got the early boat from FW? The only other people there were from the Poly or Contemporary and otherwise the whole park was yours. You could ride everything 3 times before any crowd really gathered.

I think I need to go check out that link that was posted now. :)

Oh, and I forgot to add...were any of you fellow arcade freaks? I remember the year they got Marble Madness - LOVE that game. They also had my favorite pinball machine of all time - Millionaire. My cousin and I would play that till the cows came home.

Still, nothing could beat the Contemporary arcade. Did I hear that it's gone? (please don't make me weep).

If ya wanna take a stroll down Disneys memory lane, you'll love this site.

http://www.waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/

OMG, this site!!!

*a tear* for If You Had Wings.

24350b80.png

Oh, and I forgot to add...were any of you fellow arcade freaks? I remember the year they got Marble Madness - LOVE that game. They also had my favorite pinball machine of all time - Millionaire. My cousin and I would play that till the cows came home.

Still, nothing could beat the Contemporary arcade. Did I hear that it's gone? (please don't make me weep).

Yes, they did. Well technically they moved it to the 4th floor where the shop on the left used to be. It stinks!!! We went in January and it is so small!!! We didn't even stay. I've been going to Disney since 1974 ( I was about 2) and it has always been our first night tradition to ride the monorail from the Contemporary once around and them play games & eat snacks at the Contemporary. It is heartbreaking to have our tradition gone. :sad1:

Your post was right during the time most of my memories were formed at the Fort, the 80's. My brother and I spent tons of our formative years at the Fort, doing a lot of the same stuff you said!

And yea, there are a couple of us arcade freaks on the camping forum alone. Not to mention all the others on the other forums....

I played tons of Marble Madness back in the day!! Absolutely loved that game, and I can see myself playing it at Crocketts (back when the arcade at least seemed to be much larger..lol). If there is one thing I will always remember about the Crockett's Arcade, it's without a doubt the smallest 2 story arcade I've ever been in. Although it's also kind of a nice surprise when you're like "Oh that's right, I have all the games up top I can still play"..heh.

And unfortunately, you are correct about the Contemporary arcade. My FAVORITE arcade, hands down, in all of Disney (at least it was). However, it's not all bad news, they did move it up the the concourse level. And I have to admit, while it's not as big as it was, it's still one of the larger one's in all of Disney (and may be the biggest at any Disney Resort). I've been there a few times since it's moved, I have to say it will never be the same (it's covered now, so it's really dark in there compared to how lit up the old one was).

I will always miss that old Contemporary arcade though, I just can't tell you how many memories me and my family have there. From the old movie theatre, to air hockey, to pool tables, from Whack-A-Mole to Galaga to Daytona Racing, from the awesome little food court to the fact that there were SO many games to choose from. Hopefully new memories can be made at the new arcade, but it's always going to feel "different" to me.

Although the good news is you can now walk from The Outer Rim Bar to the arcade without having to go down a couple floors. Just make sure you don't try to bring your drink in with you (learned that the stupid and hard way...lol).

So here's a question, anyone else remember when they used to have a jukebox at the Contemporary arcade that would blast the music over the overhead speakers? I remember there would always be a group of 5 to 10 teenagers (I was one of them) over by the jukebox, trying to pick the latest cool song...lol.

Yes, they did. Well technically they moved it to the 4th floor where the shop on the left used to be. It stinks!!! We went in January and it is so small!!! We didn't even stay. I've been going to Disney since 1974 ( I was about 2) and it has always been our first night tradition to ride the monorail from the Contemporary once around and them play games & eat snacks at the Contemporary. It is heartbreaking to have our tradition gone. :sad1:

Yea, there rarely was a trip for us that didn't involve going to the Contemporary, especially when we were young. That tradition still holds true, but it's not the same. However, I still do try to get in some arcade time when I visit, just a nice way to break up some down time.

I have to say though, I didn't think it was that small, at least not enough to turn you away. It's much more compact now, and it's pretty similar to the arcade at the Pop Century. However, they are still decent sizes, but yea, when we remember how big it USED to be, it's going to be hard to tell all the people in the future that never saw it exactly how big it was.

Yea, there rarely was a trip for us that didn't involve going to the Contemporary, especially when we were young. That tradition still holds true, but it's not the same. However, I still do try to get in some arcade time when I visit, just a nice way to break up some down time.

I have to say though, I didn't think it was that small, at least not enough to turn you away. It's much more compact now, and it's pretty similar to the arcade at the Pop Century. However, they are still decent sizes, but yea, when we remember how big it USED to be, it's going to be hard to tell all the people in the future that never saw it exactly how big it was.

we can start by explaining that there was an entire freaking shooting gallery.....IN the arcade!

and that wall of pinball machines...??

so awesome.

ETA: I'm pretty sad that now that I can go with my kids, they won't be able to experience that particular piece of joy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter