Any FWers from the 80s around?

littlewilson25

Earning My Ears
From when I was around 10 to 16 or so (1982 to 1988), my family went to Fort Wilderness annually for 8-10 days around the Easter/Passover school break.

Wondering if any of the DISers here used to go down there as kids/teens at that time?! Those were some of the best times ever. Oh, those beach parties! The golf cart "incidents"! And the "Mickey"s always chasing everyone away!

Anyone? Anyone?

Oh yeah, they're around. I'm sure Colson can chime in when he logs on.

Personally, I didn't get farther than HDDR and River Country. My dad is not a camper, but my hubby stayed at FW as a kid and is glad to bring our kiddos back now!

I loved it there. Loved loved. I've been back to WDW many times since, but always around the Epcot resorts. This year, I'm trying my damndest to rent a 2BR DVC villa at VWL for some time in Sept/Oct, but so far it hasn't worked.

Once my kids are a little older (they're 10 mos. and 2 yrs now), I plan to begin working on my husband to convince him to do FW.

We were always tent campers though. And even in 1982, it was probably about 1 tent site to every 50 RVs. I can only imagine it now!

I don't think I could even imagine camping in the 80's at the fort!! I bet it was great!! :( Im sorry I was too young and missed all the fun back then! I was born in 1981!

It was Valhalla. The only places to stay were the Contemporary, The Polynesian, and FW. Oh, and the "Golf Resort"! No Grand Floridian, no other resorts at all. Epcot had just been built, and the rest of WDW was all still pretty much in it's natural state. No pool at the campgrounds, you could still swim in Bay Lake (and everyone did). River Country was the only water park, and it was wonderful.

Ahhhh....the good old days.

My parents never brought us to the Fort when we were younger, but I do remember camping at a former Orange grove in Kissimee sometime in the late 1970s. They would let the campers go into the groves to pick fresh oranges and they were great.

I wish I could remember what CG it was, but it was usually combined with a trip camping in the Florida Keys and/or the Everglades.

I don't think I could even imagine camping in the 80's at the fort!! I bet it was great!! :( Im sorry I was too young and missed all the fun back then! I was born in 1981!

Oh no you didn't! :lmao: That makes me feel old!

littleWilson~ I remember those days so well! I remember the beach at the Poly. Sitting on the docks as they built GF. Going to the opening of Epcot in '82 (when the other pixi was only 1 ;) )

Do you remember the tickets at MK? You didn't just have admission, you had what was more like carnival tickets and the Blue ones were the best! Those would get you on Space Mountain!

:cloud9: ah, the good ole days!

I didn't go to FW in the 80's, (we stayed in hotels), but I did go camping with my grandparents at FW in the 70's when I was little. I still remember riding the train. I was great.

I was their in the 70's. I was 15 or 16 I believe and that would make it around 77. :hippie:

My parents never took us camping....not once. My dad would have, he loved the outdoors, but the mom was a city chick (or thought she was, grew up in a little country hick town, I guess she never wanted to return to anything that reminded her of that). Although my dad LOVED the outdoors....he had no balls to stand up to my mom, and was too cheap to even CONSIDER Disney.

My wife was all "I dont wanna go camping" when we first started, but I made her, and now its her favorite way to get away.

We camped at the Fort several times in the 80's. It was the first camping experiences any of us had. We bought a used pup and brought our kids. The campground was so wooded, you couldn't even see the camper next to you. Back then you stood in line at 6:00 am to rent a golf cart. (Of course, that was my job.) We sure miss those days!

We went to Disney in the early 80's, 81 or 82 not sure. I know EPCOT wasn't open yet. And we used to camp, but never camped at Disney. My mom has never been much on camping. She would go up to the lake camping or something like that. My wife didn't think she was a camper either, but boy have I changed her mind. She wants to go every time you turn around now. I created a monster. Can't wait til the fall when we get to try out FW. We just bought a new camper, an 18 ft Mallard. We are so excited. Our pup was in bad shape. We didn't have it long, but didn't realize all the problems it had when we bought it. Anyway, yeah for us!

Our ol'ladies have alot in common..congrats on the new mallard..and welcome to the boards.

I was born in '76, so I was still pretty young in the 80s, but I remember hitting FW plenty of times throughout the decade.

I used to love River Country. I may be crazy, but for some reason I also remember making your own pizzas at Crocket's a long time ago. Did they ever have something like this at one time?

We were near there then but in my 30s/early 40s at that time so I don't qualify.

Our ol'ladies have alot in common..congrats on the new mallard..and welcome to the boards.

Thanks! Yeah, i noticed that too. I think she had really only camped a few times and that was mostly with her parents. She didn't know that camping can be fun, and a great way to relax.

Oh yea, the 80's were the Golden Years of the Fort!!! I was similar in age, spent a lot of time at the Fort during pre-teen to teenage years.

And you're so right, it was an amazing place to grow up in!! I remember clear as day swimming in Bay Lake, the trams that used to shuttle people around, day trips over to Discovery Island.

The 70's was when I was introduced to the Fort....

in the 80's I fell in love with the Fort....

in the 90's I came to appreciate the Fort....

and in the 2000's I've matured at the Fort.

That about sums it up for my Fort experience so far ;)

And in the 10s, you'll be changing diapers at the fort( or pulling every trick you can think of NOT to change diapers....being lazy requires alot of work sometimes)

From when I was around 10 to 16 or so (1982 to 1988), my family went to Fort Wilderness annually for 8-10 days around the Easter/Passover school break.

Wondering if any of the DISers here used to go down there as kids/teens at that time?! Those were some of the best times ever. Oh, those beach parties! The golf cart "incidents"! And the "Mickey"s always chasing everyone away!

Anyone? Anyone?

We camped at Fort Wilderness in the 80's. I think we're around the same age. We usually camped in March. I don't remember any beach parties, but I do remember going to Discovery Island & River Country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter