Any Fort Fiends running the Princess Half?

KristinU

DIS Veteran
Hey camping buds, just wondering if anyone else will be staying at the Fort and running the Princess Half Marathon.

I wouldn't mind some company for the drive over to the start at o' dark thirty!

Kristen,

I will NOT be there but I applaud you for signing up and doing this. I've done a 5k at Disney, a 10k, the Half Marathon, and the Whole Marathon (in four consecutive years but not in that order). It's something I aspire to do again some day (the Half and Whole). Just remember to stay ahead of the Balloon Lady (the symbolic end-of-the-line). :cool1:

I'm gettin older and heavier but I am hoping to run a Half this April. So go out there and make us proud. I remember for my Half and Whole getting up at 3:30 a.m. at the Fort and getting over to EPCOT by 4:30 for the 6:00 a.m. start.

Naturally (with this crowd) we expect a full trip report (or detailed run report in my case) when you get home.

Break a leg! You go Girl! :yay:

Bama ED

DW will not be participating in the Princess Half since she did the 5K and Donald in January. Next in line is the DL Half for the C2C Medal. We did not use the bus to get to Epcot for the Half or Full, instead I drove the MH. Left FW at 2:45 and was parked and relaxing at Epcot by 3:25. After finishing the races we just went back to the MH, showered and I made breakfast. Much more relaxing.

Wish you the best of luck while having a great time.:thumbsup2

Thanks so much for the encouragement guys! I'm looking forward to a fun race! This will be my 4th half and my first Disney race, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. I ran the Rock and Roll half in Philly last fall, which was about 16,000 runners and was run very well - I'm assuming the same of the Disney races. But I don't quite understand getting into the corrals so freakishly early, but oh well! Your timetables are both very helpful, thanks! The start is at 5:45, so if I get up around 3:00 - 3:15 I think I should be in good shape.

Wish I had another Fort buddy to pal around with in those wee hours!

DH is doing the 5k the day before, so I guess we need to get up early then too, then DS is running the 1 miler. Those we'll go to together, but for mine I don't expect them to hang around for a few hours in the wee hours of the morning just to hope to catch a chance of seeing me run by...they can stay all nice and snuggled up in the camper then start packing to leave :(

Bama Ed, DH and I are both considering the full at Disney next January (he also has run a handful of halves). Are you aspiring to do the Goofy when you say "half and whole"????? The tough part is vacation time right at the start of the year. But I think training would be slightly easier than for February since we usually don't get much snow and cold through December up here. This year has been such a doozy for getting out - ugh!

John VN - best of luck to your DW on the DL half and getting that coveted C2C medal! Very nice that you drove the MH over to the start/finish. How great to have home base right there!

Thanks again for the kind words!!!

What is your training regiment like to do a marathon ?

Congrats, we are very excited for you. I did the half-marathon and my better half did the full marathon during Disney World's Marathon Weekend last month January 2011. It was our first time and so much fun. We might do the Disneyland half-marathon in September. We are both planning to do the full marathon in January 2012, we already have our FW site booked for that weekend!

We used Disney transportation to get to the race in the morning. It was very easy. Good luck on the run, it will be great.

Kristen,

I've never aspired to do the Goofy Challenge (running the Half and the Whole in the same weekend on consecutive days). I enjoyed training and running for the halves - not that I'm a running nut (5'-11" and 225 lbs back in those days) but I just enjoyed the challenge. But training for the wholes (twice the distance) were MUCH more effort (more than twice) IMO. I've only run two wholes (the Disney years ago in early January and then a local marathon a month later in early February). I was sick and tired of the extra training required. But hey, that's just me. Of course, now I'm up to 250 lbs. :eek:

I was fortunate to get in with a good local group of runners (I worked with one and he got me interested) because you need a good support group for something like this.

Now I am training again for a half in April using the Jeff Galloway method. Basically, Jeff advocates a "run-walk-run" method. Based on your training and preparation, you would run for a set period of time (from one to several minutes) then walk for a brief period (up to a minute or two). Start the cycle at the beginning of the race and follow it till the end. He maintains that the net time of run-walk would be as good or better than if you tried to run the entire way (albeit at a slower speed) and your body recovers faster as a result. I'm not into times so much anymore. I just want to finish the half, stay ahead of the balloon lady, and have a good time. The line of Timex Ironman Triatholon watches has an interval setting (my 100 lap TIT does) that you can program to "beep" the run-walk intervals and repeat.

Most marathon training programs (and I didn't look at the Higdon but I think I know it) follow one of two tracks. One track is "hey just finish". That has long runs once every week (on a weekend day) and increasing that long run distance every week mostly (3 months out the long run might be 10 miles and you increase it each week to get up to say 18-22 miles) then you taper back about two weeks before the marathon. During weekdays you run short distance 2-3 days to keep the fitness level up and not lose any ground but the long runs is where you build endurance.

The second track is for folks focused on finishing a specific time so the training program builds in various "speed training" work where you build in sprints of varying lengths and hill/climbing work along with the long runs (the long runs are normally run at a pace slower than your race pace BTW). So it depends on what your goal is which method/track you use.

I have a couple funny stories from my Disney races that I won't bore you with. I would, though, suggest you run with a fanny pack and a cheap disposable camera to take pictures along the way. The first Disney half I did every 2-3 miles there was a costumed Disney character like at the meet-and-greets in the park (Snow White was definitely cute) and lots of folks stop running to get their picture made with the character. Sure it cuts into your time but hey - it's Disney. I don't know if your race would have characters interspersed along the way but I bet they will.

John VN's Coast-to-Coast challenge sounds like the ultimate. Maybe someday.......

Nah.......:rotfl2:

I predict I have at least one Disney half left in me. They have these other races at other times of the year now (when I did it all they had was the January races) so it might work out.

Good luck to you. Wear your medal proudly after your race. I was surprised by the people wearing their half- and whole- medals when we went to dinner. We didn't know each other but we congratulated each other sharing a common bond (then got the biggest steak and baked tater on the menu with sour cream and a dessert). All over the property people had them on that night. Initially I didn't and when we went to the bus stop at the Fort to go to dinner I saw several folks with their so I went back to the cabin and got mine on. Glad I did.

Oh well. I've blathered on long enough.

Good luck!

Bama ED

Univmd - maybe we'll see you there in 2012!!! Best of luck if you do the DL...which I think you should ;) One of these days I'd love to do the C2C.

And thanks Ed! Yeah, I find the half training very do-able, and I really like the distance. Way less frantic than a 5k! I run a base of 5 miles a day about 5-6 days a week during my lunch hour most days then one of the two days on the weekend, so to ramp up for a half really isn't too big a challenge at this point (when the weather cooperates! I loathe the tradmill, so getting my mileage in during January was definitely a challenge.) But the mid-week 10 milers of a full marathon training program would be a time crunch for me, especially in the colder/darker months. I think I'll be going for the "just finish" plan if/when I do it! The WDW full appeals to me because of the 4 distinct points of the parks, it seems like it would help me mentally with each park as a waypoint.

Wow, Kristen it sounds you are one dedicated runner. You don't need any advice from me. I admire your dedication to get out there in CT where you live and get your miles in. And I too loathe treadmills.

I know they've started a fall half at WDW in conjunction with the Food & Wine Festival which is run in early October. That would be good one because I've never run a half that started at 10 p.m.!!!!!

Bama ED

Thanks guys for posting this information! I cancelled my gym membership at the end of last year and have been trying to get my walking in with this crazy winter. I can't run long distances due to neck, knee, and hip issues, but with the weather warming up, I'm going to attempt to start back on the walk/run plan. We'll see how it goes. I have lots of friends who have done the half and full marathons at Disney and had wonderful experiences. I don't think I'll ever be able to do it, but I sure do admire those that do!:thumbsup2

Hey Liv, you go girl!!!

You never know what you'll end up doing! If you would have told me 3 years ago that I'd be running like I do I would have thought you were full of hooey :)

Running/walking is so great because it requires so little equipment and you can take it just about anywhere with you.

Nothin' finer than running campground loops in the morning, taking in the wafting smells of bacon! :cloud9:

I'll be there - but not running this one. DW and I will be out cheering on our friends that are running.

I don't do the Princess half - I leave that one to the Ladies. I did run the last Minnie 15k when they still had that though, to get the Minnie medal.

We always stay at FW for WDW races. I've run 324 miles in WDW and DL races since 2006.

Hey Liv, you go girl!!!

You never know what you'll end up doing! If you would have told me 3 years ago that I'd be running like I do I would have thought you were full of hooey :)

Running/walking is so great because it requires so little equipment and you can take it just about anywhere with you.

Nothin' finer than running campground loops in the morning, taking in the wafting smells of bacon! :cloud9:
That's why I can't lose any weight. I excercise then eat like nobody's business!:laughing:

I'll be there - but not running this one. DW and I will be out cheering on our friends that are running.

I don't do the Princess half - I leave that one to the Ladies. I did run the last Minnie 15k when they still had that though, to get the Minnie medal.

We always stay at FW for WDW races. I've run 324 miles in WDW and DL races since 2006.
WOW!!:thumbsup2

After posting on this thread last week, here is a conversation I had with my family.
Me: Honey, I'm going to train for a 5k.
DH: Are you planning on running one?
Me: No.
DS: Who will be your competition?
Me: Myself.
DH: You have nothing to worry about sweetie.
:rotfl 2:

I'm on week 2 of Jeff Galloway's 5k training program. I'm doing more of the
10k stuff though because I've had too many KK lately and I'm not a complete stranger to running.

KristinU, you're probably already at Disney, so good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Hi Kristin!! I am staying at the fort this weekend and also running the half on Sunday my kids are doing the kids races on Saturday but same as you I am all alone at 330am lol I would love to have some company standing and waiting we will be checking in tomorrow Friday probably around 5 then I'm going to rush over and get our packets at the expo I can post our site number and maybe we can coordinate. This is my third run at Disney I did the princess 5k last year but this is my first half I'm really excited!! :yay:

Hi Kristin!! I am staying at the fort this weekend and also running the half on Sunday my kids are doing the kids races on Saturday but same as you I am all alone at 330am lol I would love to have some company standing and waiting we will be checking in tomorrow Friday probably around 5 then I'm going to rush over and get our packets at the expo I can post our site number and maybe we can coordinate. This is my third run at Disney I did the princess 5k last year but this is my first half I'm really excited!! :yay:
Excellent, Carissa! I just got back from a great run around the Fort :) Probably my last before Sunday unless my DS decides he wants company for his mile.

We're on site 2016. I'll shoot you a pm with my cell #!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter