Any families stay at Flying J's overnight?

KristinU

DIS Veteran
Most of the "where to stay on the way?" threads have a mention or two of overnighting at Flying J's...and the recent thread started by Echolake is no exception. We're looking at places to stop on our way down in Feb, and I'm kind of thinking we might try the Flying J thing. But I'm wondering about doing it as a family. I guess on a single overnight, or even two, my DS 7 wouldn't necessarily need a shower and DH and I could tag team to the shower facilities.

So I guess my question is are there families that have stayed overnight at Flying J's? and if so, do you feel secure enough and are the facilities clean and family-friendly enough?

Although I have stopped often at the J's, I have never spent the night. Last trip there were so many staying there that I wasn't sure I could get around them to get out of the lot, so someone must believe in them. Although the lots are not necessarily level, they seem to be adequate for a stop over. If we didn't need to power medical equipment at night I would like to try it. I would also like to hear from some who have tried it and liked or didn't like it...with reasons for both.

We have stayed in Flying Js several times, with my wife and three daughters 11,7,5. We leave MN on Sat morning when my wife gets done with her night shift at the hospital, and I drive usually to the TN/KY border where there is a Flying J. We pull in and I sleep for about four hours. The kids were tucked in bed while on the road, and when we all get up it's time for breakfast.

We have showered at them before, and found them to be clean. We didn't realize that we both could have used the same shower, and paid seperatly for them. I think it was 10 bucks. They give you two sets of towels, which is cool. I wouldn't leave let the kids out of our sight while there, but that's kind of how I operate anyway.

All the showers I've seen at J's have been clean. Last summer I was on the motorcycle in western Wyoming in the middle of nowhere and it was 3am and COLD, and a long drive to the next motel. The Flying J was deserted. I paid for a shower and went in and laid down on the floor using the towel as a pillow, still wearing my full riding gear. Even the view from the floor was cleaner than I would have thought. Got a three hour nap and by then the sun was up and the frost was melting.

And remember others have said Pilot bought them out. I've been in some pretty ratty Pilots. I'm hoping the old Flying Js stay as nice. Here is a list of the old locations: http://www.allstays.com/c/flyingj-locations-map.htm

The one at the florida/GA border is pretty tiny compared to the rest. Not sure what that one looks like at 2am while you are looking for a spot to park.

Thanks for the deatiled review, Fugarwe! LOL on your overnight in the shower, but it worked :)

Ken, your comment about power made me think...we'll be traveling in the chilly winter and will likely need to use our little ceramic heater, hmm...I guess we'll probably need to go the KOA route this time around.

I've stayed at several Flying J's. I'd do it again. I have only done it when traveling by myself. If my wife and son are with me, I usually try to find some place to "camp" so I can open the slides and have some room.
I generally travel with some fresh water in the tank and will use the camper to clean up in the morning.

One comment. If you are traveling during the tourist season, getting to a stop late may mean driving on. I have stayed at J's in north GA, Valdosta and the one in KY at the TN line that fugarwe mentioned. In N. GA and Valdosta, I pulled in around 10 pm and got the last spot one time. Parked in back along the semi's another.

j

We always stay at the FJ on the way down and usually on the way back. Feel safe. Plan to arrive early, as spots fill up quickly (around 4pm)!

We stay in them frequently when travelling. Like Ken mentioned, most of them are not very level. They have designated parking spots for RV's and frequently they have been so unlevel that we just parked along the edge of the parking lot. We actually prefer to be along the edge because we have to put the bedroom slide out alittle inorder to sleep in the bed and not have our feet hit the wardrobe. You just need to scout out a location that is far away from the entrance because of the traffic (loud trucks) going in and out.

We have never used the facilities because we just shower in the MH. However we do love their coffee and always get some before we head out early in the morning.

I have always felt safe in the Flying J's.

This post is exactely what I was looking for - thank you to all! We're headed down the end of March and plan to stay at a Walmart or Flying J. We won't be getting off the road to catch a nap until around 2:00 a.m. What are our chances of finding a spot to park for 4 hours or so at that time of night in a Flying J? We'll be in lower Kentucky - or maybe to the border of KY and TN.

We also head south from MN and stay at Flying J's every trip. I have three kids all under the age of 5 and we pull in whenever we can. If the spots are full the night MGR never seems to care if we park on the outer parts of the parking lot. We always ask and they have never said no.

We eat and/or fill up before heading out as payment for staying the evening. We feel safe there and the noise level is never bad. We do our best to get to KY before stopping. We stay at the Oak Grove KY J and one in Georgia where we always have some thing go wrong (flat tire, dead batteries) but always come back. We have never showered there but we do un-winterize at one of the stops.

We look at the J's as small reminders of how close we are getting to the fort. I hope the buyout does not ruin them.

Happy travels all.

What are our chances of finding a spot to park for 4 hours or so at that time of night in a Flying J? We'll be in lower Kentucky - or maybe to the border of KY and TN.
That J (On I-24) is usually our first fuel stop (or last on the way home) It has a decent size RV parking and when we've come through late it doesn't seem more than half full. Obviously depends on time of year and day of the week. There is also a nice campground at Mile 1 in TN, 15 miles or so from the J. We often stay there so we can hook up and open the slides.

j

Didn't Flying J merge with Pilot, or am I thinking about something else? If they did, does that change their overnighting policy?

Because it's usually just me and the kids, I've never been brave enough to stay overnight at a FJ, but from what I'm hearing here, it sounds like it feels safe enough.

Didn't Flying J merge with Pilot, or am I thinking about something else? If they did, does that change their overnighting policy?

Because it's usually just me and the kids, I've never been brave enough to stay overnight at a FJ, but from what I'm hearing here, it sounds like it feels safe enough.

They merged after J filed bankruptcy. I get regular e-mails and havent seen anything regarding overnighting policy changes. They do charge for dumping now unless you have a rewards/frequent fueler card.

Flying J still allows overnight parking. They still have Overnight Parking as an RV Amenity along with the Dump Station, Dedicated Fuel Lanes and Bulk propane (cheaper than most places I have seen) on their website. With their card, you get a discount on fuel and LP. We stay there a lot, in fact, I often plan our trips around staying at Flying J. Some do not have RV parking so you need to check. We have always felt safe and the dedicated lanes sure make refueling easy.

We stayed Mid Dec. at Flying J. Pulled in quite late and there were a few spots.
As we were preparing to bed down, we saw the "Girls Gone Wild" RV pull in two spots over. I so wanted DH and DS-21 to go get a picture in front of it.:cool1:
We felt very safe and comfortable. Did not use their inside facilities.
We have been traveling by RV for 17 years to Disney via the routes previously mention and DH always stops for 3-4 hours usually in rest areas or Flying Js. We have never had a problem.

Thanks for all of the responses! The next time we travel in warmer weather we'll give it a go...but in Feb. I'm pretty sure we'll be needing to plug in somewhere to stay warm and cozy.

It's kind of funny. I plan my stops around Flying J, just because of how RV friendly their model is. However, the 3 times I've pulled in for gas and wanted to drop anchor for a couple of hours, the parking lot was full. Guess next time I will have to ask the manager. Although, that kind of feels like stopping to ask for directions. :) I don't want to inadvertingly get my "man card" revoked on a violation.

It's kind of funny. I plan my stops around Flying J, just because of how RV friendly their model is. However, the 3 times I've pulled in for gas and wanted to drop anchor for a couple of hours, the parking lot was full. Guess next time I will have to ask the manager. Although, that kind of feels like stopping to ask for directions. :) I don't want to inadvertingly get my "man card" revoked on a violation.

No worries there. Since you filled up then you aren't lost.

See, if you don't know where you are and you still have gas, you are "touring". :car:

If you don't know where you are and you are out of gas, you're lost. :rolleyes1 THAT'S when your man card gets dinged. :headache:

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you fill your fresh water tank & have your gray & black tanks empty, you could use your own bathroom. Many water heaters are gas & electric - use the gas, or if that is not safe (I don't know) just take an old fashioned sink cold water bath - won't hurt for 1 nite!

Regarding the cold weather - a couple of times we traveled when it was very cold in the north on the way home. We winterized the TT in Florida & while at Flying J, we dressed in warm sweats, used 2-3 quilts over us on the bed & we were very toasty.

Just got back from Florida & all of the Pilots & Flying Js (at least all of those where we stopped) now require advance inside payment rather than pay at the pump, even with a credit card. That is a real pain, especially since now the register lines are long. We've decided not to stop at those for gas on our future trips, if not pulling a TT.

Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter