Any appendicitis experience?

Yikes, much easier today, I don’t think I have a scar and I walked out of the hospital the next morning with no restrictions.

My son was sick one night and we attributed it to food poisoning. He was kind of under the weather for a couple days but then seemed to be feeling better. The following week, when he went for a regularly scheduled appt with his doctor, he had a fever. So the dr started asking questions and poking around, then sent us to the hospital for an ultrasound (it was late afternoon, so that was the quickest way to be seen).

This was 9 or 10 days after he'd gotten sick. Ends up his appendix had ruptured that night and we had no idea. His body had formed an abscess around the appendix, so the "ick" didn't spread (no sepsis). He spent 3 nights in the hospital, was put on antibiotics and had a drain put in place to clear out the fluid/abscess. He then spent 4 weeks getting daily IV antibiotics followed by 2 weeks of oral antibiotics until the swelling had gone down enough to safely do the surgery.

The surgeon had hoped for laparoscopic but found a bit more damage than expected so had to open him up. He seemed to be recovering pretty well from surgery until he ended up with hospital acquired c-diff. So in the end, he was in the hospital for a full week (5 of those days with no food) and then on different antibiotics for a couple weeks.

That was 5 years ago and he's fine now (has a long scar) but I sure wish I had realized what had happened that first night.

My son was sick one night and we attributed it to food poisoning. He was kind of under the weather for a couple days but then seemed to be feeling better. The following week, when he went for a regularly scheduled appt with his doctor, he had a fever. So the dr started asking questions and poking around, then sent us to the hospital for an ultrasound (it was late afternoon, so that was the quickest way to be seen).

This was 9 or 10 days after he'd gotten sick. Ends up his appendix had ruptured that night and we had no idea. His body had formed an abscess around the appendix, so the "ick" didn't spread (no sepsis). He spent 3 nights in the hospital, was put on antibiotics and had a drain put in place to clear out the fluid/abscess. He then spent 4 weeks getting daily IV antibiotics followed by 2 weeks of oral antibiotics until the swelling had gone down enough to safely do the surgery.

The surgeon had hoped for laparoscopic but found a bit more damage than expected so had to open him up. He seemed to be recovering pretty well from surgery until he ended up with hospital acquired c-diff. So in the end, he was in the hospital for a full week (5 of those days with no food) and then on different antibiotics for a couple weeks.

That was 5 years ago and he's fine now (has a long scar) but I sure wish I had realized what had happened that first night.
I was honestly kind of freaking it out when they didn’t open him up at all, and they really didn’t explain what was going on. They just kept doing blood work (plus he was in so much pain for a couple of days). His body just pooped out the ick.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

She went to urgent care, and they ultimately sent her to the ER. After blood samples and a scan they determined it to be swollen abdomen lymph nodes, caused by a virus or other infection. They also took a urine sample, and results will take two days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter