Any AP restriction rumors?

MamaJessie

DIS Veteran
I have zero idea where I was reading but I know at some point I read a theory that there could be blackouts for AP holders at DHS - anyone read/hear anything credible about something like this?

I want to upgrade DH to an AP when we go in August but not if it would exclude SWGE.

I figure by then we should have more info going by how DL does things - just wasn't sure if there was any credence to this or if I just read it while late night scrolling on one of those ridiculous rumor sites.

WDW AP's don't quite work like DL. There are so many DL levels and restrictions. If you get WDW Gold, Platinum or Platinum Plus you shouldn't have any issues really.

We are still 9+ months out from SWGE at DHS so I am sure things will change as they get closer.

WDW AP's don't quite work like DL. There are so many DL levels and restrictions. If you get WDW Gold, Platinum or Platinum Plus you shouldn't have any issues really.

We are still 9+ months out from SWGE at DHS so I am sure things will change as they get closer.
Thanks - makes me feel a little better about making plans :thumbsup2

It's an interesting rumor. IF there were any meat to it, that might point to admission to SW:GE being a hard ticket entry in the short term after opening. With all the conversation about how they are going to control the crowds, that would be a hell of a way to do it.

I have no insider info... but if you have a platinum AP and click the link to look at blackout dates... there aren't any through the current calendar year. When I bought my pass, one of the conditions was that there were no blackout dates for standard admission. If Disney were to change this after the fact, they would be opening themselves to a lot of legal risks... and angry passholders. There will definitely be hard ticketed events, but I am sure even standard admission hours will have to be pretty lengthy to accommodate crowds and satisfy guests. I know platinum passholders are let in at all levels of phased closures expect the last level (no one gets in). I expect these closure levels WILL be put to the test quite a bit when SWGE opens.

I would think any changes they make to AP's would have to be to ones sold in the future and stated in all the AP literature. Did Disneyland retroactively change any passholder dates on passes with no blackouts?

I have no insider info... but if you have a platinum AP and click the link to look at blackout dates... there aren't any through the current calendar year. When I bought my pass, one of the conditions was that there were no blackout dates for standard admission. If Disney were to change this after the fact, they would be opening themselves to a lot of legal risks... and angry passholders. There will definitely be hard ticketed events, but I am sure even standard admission hours will have to be pretty lengthy to accommodate crowds and satisfy guests. I know platinum passholders are let in at all levels of phased closures expect the last level (no one gets in). I expect these closure levels WILL be put to the test quite a bit when SWGE opens.

I would think any changes they make to AP's would have to be to ones sold in the future and stated in all the AP literature. Did Disneyland retroactively change any passholder dates on passes with no blackouts?
Platinum won’t get any blackouts. It’s the Florida resident passes you have to look at.

The passes at DLR and WDW work very similarly.

Higher tiered ones (Platinum/ Platinum Plus at WDW and Signature Plus at DLR) have no blockout dates.

All ones below it (Gold for DVC, Florida Resident for WDW and Signature, Deluxe, So Cal, and So Cal Select) that come with blockout dates only "guarantee" a certain number of admission dates (with dates apparently subject to change now).

I am a Gold AP holder and my renew month is May so I have been following closely, so far dates are out through Feb of next year and all block out dates seem to stay pretty similar as years past
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/?month=2#
If you were to buy an ap now these dates would be pretty much set through February 2020 unless Disney goes crazy and decides to add blocked date for passes already purchased

So, if you have a DVC Gold AP and they extend black outs to dates that you already have booked, are you able to pay the difference and upgrade to a Platinum Pass so that you can still attend SWGE?

It's an interesting rumor. IF there were any meat to it, that might point to admission to SW:GE being a hard ticket entry in the short term after opening. With all the conversation about how they are going to control the crowds, that would be a hell of a way to do it.
They can control the crowds the same way they do it on christmas day, simply closing while they reach capacity. But Disney have been making crazy decisions and I won’t be surprised if they indeed blocked AP

They can control the crowds the same way they do it on christmas day, simply closing while they reach capacity. But Disney have been making crazy decisions and I won’t be surprised if they indeed blocked AP

Yeah - I just wonder if they'll take a lesson from Pandora and HP world at Universal, and use hard tickets to manage things proactively, instead of closing at capacity (which manages it reactively and potentially creates a poor guest experience for those who expected to get in but get closed out). Or maybe there's another plan that we armchair experts haven't even thought of yet! No matter what happens, it's going to be interesting to see what they do!

I have the theme park select pass. Sept - Dec is blocked out for DHS. Will be open again for us in early Jan. I can wait, though.

I have the weekday pass and think I might up grade bigly to try to take advantage of previews. We were able to do Pandora but didnt have the level to get TSL ones.

So, if you have a DVC Gold AP and they extend black outs to dates that you already have booked, are you able to pay the difference and upgrade to a Platinum Pass so that you can still attend SWGE?

I don't think they can add additional blackout dates to passes already purchased. When they added blackout dates at DL, it specified for passes purchased after xxxx date.

I certainly hope they don't. I booked my last trip the week before my current AP expires based on earlier statements by Disney that SWGE would not be open till fall/late fall. We had no plan to go to SWGE until a year after it opens(2021), even though we are excited for it, and now we will be there 2 weeks after it opens. I'm not expecting to be able to do rides or even possibly enter the Land based on how long the wait times were with TSL but I would like to visit my favorite park and do other things. I guess only time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter