Any 2016 wine and diners out there?

tinkbutt

DIS Veteran
I know it's way early but I am very much a beginner. Well a starting over beginner. I am hoping to get to know some people hopefully get to meet them and have a great first 1/2 marathon experience.

So I'll start as I said I am a beginner. I ran the haunted 5k this past October on a whim this past October and now I am hooked on run Disney!! I don't have runners in my traveling party who will do more than the 5k. Not that I need a buddy, but let's face it it's more fun!!

I am a South Carolina resident and a WDW resident at heart. As you might be able to tell tinkerbell is my favorite character. I hope to make it to the finish line in 2016 hopefully with some new DISers friends by my side!

So please any runners,even if you're not doing my race weekend, if you are up for a few new friends PLEASE say hi!

The first time I signed up for the W&D, it was around April, I think. Our goal(my friend who hadn't run more than a mile and myself who maxed at a 5k) was to walk 2 miles and run 1 mile for the whole race. Thinking our walking pace was about a 14 minute mile and our "running" pace was about a 12 minute mile. We trained every Saturday for most of the summer and into fall. It was amazing how quickly our time improved. We stopped at every mile marker to take a picture and also at several character stops and still finished at 3hours and 6 seconds. Had we known we would have tried for under 3!

Anyway- there are some really great training programs. Why don't you check out Jeff Galloways program to train for this year? And try it? There are even programs to complete a half with both walking and running.

Disney races are so addicting! I have done 3 W&D, the Princess half and 10k, 3 5ks and Everest. And I still do not consider myself a real runner :) I can not do W&D 2015 and I am really sad about it. So, like you I am looking forward to W&D 2016!!!!

For me, it comes down to dates. There is a very important competition for my boys that weekend this year, as there has been for the last few years. That means waiting another 3 years until they have graduated, or missing their competition - which is not going to happen. Some day, but probably not for a while. Until then I will continue to run the other WDW events.

Running can do amazing things for your body and mind. Stay positive and start working now. Keep doing the smaller races until you are ready for a half. Races keep you motivated.

Good Luck!

The first time I signed up for the W&D, it was around April, I think. Our goal(my friend who hadn't run more than a mile and myself who maxed at a 5k) was to walk 2 miles and run 1 mile for the whole race. Thinking our walking pace was about a 14 minute mile and our "running" pace was about a 12 minute mile. We trained every Saturday for most of the summer and into fall. It was amazing how quickly our time improved. We stopped at every mile marker to take a picture and also at several character stops and still finished at 3hours and 6 seconds. Had we known we would have tried for under 3!

Anyway- there are some really great training programs. Why don't you check out Jeff Galloways program to train for this year? And try it? There are even programs to complete a half with both walking and running.

Disney races are so addicting! I have done 3 W&D, the Princess half and 10k, 3 5ks and Everest. And I still do not consider myself a real runner :) I can not do W&D 2015 and I am really sad about it. So, like you I am looking forward to W&D 2016!!!!

Yay I am excited to "meet" someone who is thinking about the same race. I can't do it this year because my sister and I share DVC points and her daughters 5th birthday is in the beginning of October so that's when we will be going. As we can only afford one trip per year that means 2016 is my goal.

I know it's way early but I am very much a beginner. Well a starting over beginner. I am hoping to get to know some people hopefully get to meet them and have a great first 1/2 marathon experience... I don't have runners in my traveling party who will do more than the 5k. Not that I need a buddy, but let's face it it's more fun

I'm the opposite, I need to go at my own pace and block out distractions for my runs to go well. Different strokes and all that.

I also agree that it's way early...personally I'd fallen out of running after completing the TinkerBell half last January. I failed to set another goal for myself and I got a bad case of the post-race blues. So I set a goal for my next big race in 2016...but that didn't work because it was too far off. I still didn't get off the couch to train. Luckily, the opportunity to do the 2015 W&D fell into my lap and my training has taken off naturally. Basically this is my roundabout way of asking if you have enough smaller goals to take you to the finish line in 2016 and if you don't mind, what is your training plan?

I'm open in 2016 at this point, so if the W&D goes great this year, I may be back next year as well. *fingers crossed*

Right now I am run/walking with a H.I.I.T. Program. I am running at least 3x a week. I am a stay at home mom and have to put DS in the stroller for every run! So the cold is determining if I get to go out. Thankfully it won't be cold for too long. I think I am gonna look for a 10K to run locally between now and W&D 2016. I am plenty motivated to get training it's just I'd like to have some buddies to experience this with, I know it's not realistic to look for someone to run the race with, just looking for the moral support along the way through training.

I know it's not realistic to look for someone to run the race with, just looking for the moral support along the way through training.

That's great! Our 'real life' friends don't always give us all the support we need, even though they may try. Right now I'm doing the 5K to 10K plan from active.com. It's 4 days a week and in 2 1/2 weeks I have a 7K on the agenda. As you can see, I'm a Tink fan too. :)

A night race is my kinda race! I think it will ultimately depend on how much we like our first W&D this year ... but I feel confident that at least one of us will be in!!

Very cool well please stay in touch let me know how you like W&D this year. I am also very anxiety ridden so know as much as I can before had will help my nervous tummy.
That's great! Our 'real life' friends don't always give us all the support we need, even though they may try. Right now I'm doing the 5K to 10K plan from active.com. It's 4 days a week and in 2 1/2 weeks I have a 7K on the agenda. As you can see, I'm a Tink fan too. :)

I'll have to remember that when I have conquered the couch to 5k app I have now.

When my wife showed an interest in running, we decided on an agressive strategy - she would run a half marathon at WDW within one year. She started the couch to 5k program in March of that year. She then started the 5k to 10k plan - then raced a 10k for a qualifying time for the WDW half. We then put her on a half marathon training plan. She went from totally sedentary and unable to run a quarter mile to running the half marathon in 9 months. It helped that I ran with her when I could, but she owned it and put in all of the work herself.

You can do this - just have a plan, tell others your plan, and be accountable.

Dh and I are planning to run this next year! We did tower of terror this past year and had a great time. We wanted to register for wine and dine this year but younger ds will be a senior and it will be the end of his football career right around then. Id hate to miss senior day or a playoff game so we'll wait one more year.

After TOT, I haven't run, and it's so darn cold here that exercise isn't the least bit appealing. But I do plan to start soon, not for the race, just to get in shape. Feeling like a bear in hibernation currently

How was everyone's training this week? If the weather allowed, that is. :rolleyes: Luckily I'm in an area where it's just a bit nippy in the mornings and not freezing, like some of you. I found out last week that I've lost 9lbs so far since starting couch to 5K. :yay: Hoping to keep it up with the 5k-10k and that getting lighter will help my time. Right now I feel like a :snail:.

I was able to go out 4x this week! And I am finally able to keep up with the program. I refuse to step on a scale till I know by looking at myself that I've lost weight so until then lol.

I haven't run since the 2014 W & D, not even 1 mile! Last year, I did the W & D and then the Princess Half so I kept up with my training. I will have to find a local race soon to get me motivated! The freezing temps along with snow lately have not helped. So, I have been hitting the elliptical a few time a week at the gym. When I finally get out there, it will be like starting over!

How was everyone's training this week? If the weather allowed, that is. :rolleyes: Luckily I'm in an area where it's just a bit nippy in the mornings and not freezing, like some of you. I found out last week that I've lost 9lbs so far since starting couch to 5K. :yay: Hoping to keep it up with the 5k-10k and that getting lighter will help my time. Right now I feel like a :snail:.
I ran every day this week outside in sub zero temps. It has been a brutal week. I have a 10 miler today, but it will be much warmer - though the ground is covered in another 4 inches of snow.

As much as I hate running outside in these conditions, I hate treadmills even more. I leave this afternoon for a business trip that will not allow me to run outside all week. A dreadmill week. Sigh...

I look forward to the day when I have access to a treadmill. I don't like them but atleast if it's raining or too cold for DS to be riding in the stroller with me I could still run that day!!

DH and I are going to do the F&W in 2015 for our first half. We both started running 3 years ago when we both turned 40. We made it our New Years resolution to run a 5k every month that year, which we did. Then we switched to just running a few of our favorite local races. My DH got a foot injury so for almost a year he wasn't able to run at all but he's been making his way back. I love to run outside but can't stand to do it when it's too cold so I am stuck on the treadmill right now. These last couple of months I've struggled with it and have not been near as good about it as in the past. Hoping actually getting registered for the race will force my butt into gear. I'm really expecting to love it and make it a yearly tradition for us, so if all goes well we will see you in 2016 as well!

So just got a crazy thought! I might plan on trying to get the 10k princess next feb before the wine and dine! Does anyone know how farout the sign up is?

So just got a crazy thought! I might plan on trying to get the 10k princess next feb before the wine and dine! Does anyone know how farout the sign up is?
June 30 for AP holders, July 14 (I think) for everyone else...noon EST.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter