Anxiety, Crowds, and Tips on Coping

BasilofBakeryStreet

Earning My Ears
Hey there! I hope this is the correct forum to post this in. I was wondering what other people's tactics are for handling the large, loud, close crowds and how overwhelming Disney can sometimes be. Do you wear a backpack to help? Do you take frequent breaks? Have you found any quiet, out-of-the-way spots that have helped you?

Just looking for some tips!

Yes I use a backpack ( I have a weighed blanket I use at night ) and noise canceling headphones along with a light weight hoodie take breaks though out the day. Take a longer midday break.

Our (adult) daughter wears oversized sunglasses, and a ball cap - it helps her feel like her face isn't so exposed.

When it's cooler or at night she wears a hoodie so she can pull the hood up.

Backpack helps create space behind her, but she often walks ahead of me (to help clear a path for my personal mobility device) so I literally have her back :)

We try to eat our meals at "off times" so that we can find a quiet(er) corners of restaurants, and we take our time eating until we are refreshed :) If things get really bad, we can always retreat to First Aid, and she can lay down for a while.

Disney Springs is quietest during the daytime, when everyone else is at the Theme Parks, just FYI. And remember that you can always go to Guest Services and find a bench, and some (relative) peace and quiet at the front of each Park as well.

Avoid Starbucks in each Park (unless you are in it for the coffee) they are always crowded and noisy, including the ones at Disney Springs.

Ear plugs (on all rides, for all shows and parades, in restaurants, sometimes all day), headphones, sunglasses (even on rides -- those lights can be brighter than you'd think!), essential oils (whatever you find calming and soothing -- I like lavender, rose, rose geranium, etc.), Rescue Remedy (drops, pastilles, cream -- really helps), herbal tea -- bring your own tea bags -- a nice cup of tea in a quiet spot can be very soothing. Sometimes riding the same ride over and over, like the train, can be helpful -- the train isn't exactly quiet, but I'm so familiar with the narration and the stations -- it can be very calming to sit in a corner and ride several loops.

Ear plugs (on all rides, for all shows and parades, in restaurants, sometimes all day), headphones, sunglasses (even on rides -- those lights can be brighter than you'd think!), essential oils (whatever you find calming and soothing -- I like lavender, rose, rose geranium, etc.), Rescue Remedy (drops, pastilles, cream -- really helps), herbal tea -- bring your own tea bags -- a nice cup of tea in a quiet spot can be very soothing. Sometimes riding the same ride over and over, like the train, can be helpful -- the train isn't exactly quiet, but I'm so familiar with the narration and the stations -- it can be very calming to sit in a corner and ride several loops.

How do you get boiling water in the parks to make tea though?

How do you get boiling water in the parks to make tea though?
We ask at CS locations that have hot water. If the pick up counter isn't jammed, DH has been able to ask for a cup of hot water and get it in a minute or two. As long as we clarify that it's for me, not for a child or infant, the CMs are satisfied. In a pinch, even putting a tea bag in a bottle of cold water and letting it steep for a while in the backpack can make a sort of cold brew tea. Sometimes you gotta go with whatever works!

I use aromatherapy inhaler at the parks too ( I like orange , Rest In Peace old sorin, and peppermint are my two go too). This is what the inhaler I use looks like https://www.dreamingearth.com/catalog/pc/Aromatherapy-Metal-Scent-Inhaler-p1949.htm. You have to have it almost touching your nose or an inch from it to smell it so it really can not bother other around you.

Some of the things I found helpful in dealing with crowds:

• Eating outside of the busiest hours. I found quiet spaces in Electric Umbrella, Columbia Harbor House and Sunshine Seasons when arriving ahead of the crowds.
  • We use mobile ordering whenever available. This limits my time in packed queues which are huge anxiety triggers for me.
  • Some quiet spots I liked - Tom Sawyer Island, the spot in Storybook Circus near the train station, benches near the restrooms at PotC, The Living Seas in Epcot (gets busy but I find it calming to find a quiet spot to watch the fish).
  • I find The People Mover oddly soothing.
  • Patience - I will happily find a quiet place to sit and wait for post-firework crowds to thin out before I even attempt to exit the park.
  • For HEA, finding a spot by a railing where DH can get between me and the crowd helps me feel less agitated.
  • On transportation, it's pretty much only meditation that works for me!
  • Knowing my limit - recognising when I have absolutely had enough and need to go and lie down at the resort. I've had too many miserable days because I've tried to push myself beyond what's comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter