Another Trip Report

huggypack2112

Earning My Ears
Hi all, long term reader but rarely post. My family and I just got back from 2 weeks at the fort, and I thought I would keep daily notes so I could put together a trip report. Let me know what you think.

Random Observations​

Mask enforcement was very good at the parks. Had one person picking up trash outside of Epcot see someone without their mask fully on, and he radioed ahead to the next CM pointing the person out. Another time, after the doors were closed on Star Tours, someone pulled his mask down, and a CM came on the speaker and said that the ride would not start until the masks were all in place. There were more people at the Fort who were not wearing masks (runners, golf cart riders, dog walkers).

Generally people were also pretty good with distancing, with just a few random issues in que lines throughout the trip.

Only saw 2 people with Gaiters instead of masks (both we on the ferry from the Fort to the Magic Kingdom).

WDW does not seem to be doing much to ban selfie sticks.

Saw one person try and sneak a smoke, and a CM shut him down quickly.

Wild turkeys and deer were seen everywhere!

Now on to the trip report.​

On Friday (1/22/21) we left our home in Morehead City, NC. It was also my son’s 26th birthday, so we had a birthday lunch before we took off. I loaded up my 32’ Winnebago Sunstar with a car in tow. We left mid-afternoon, and spent the night at a Walmart parking lot in Smithfield, NC (right off I-95), where we also got groceries/supplies. We had checked beforehand to make sure overnights were allowed.

On Saturday (1/23/21), we traveled to Ki Ki RV park in Kingsland, GA for an overnight stay. “RV Park” might be an overstatement. There was one site that was not occupied by permanent residents. The park was right off the interstate, next to an Econo-lodge (where you check in). Sites were very close together, and the promised cable didnt work. The site served its purpose for a single overnight stay, but I would probably look for somewhere else next time.

On Sunday (1/24/21) we drove the rest of the way to the Fort. Traffic really not bad. Got there at 2PM and our site was ready. We had asked for a Preferred site, and got space 311 (we were hoping for loop 100 or 200). We appeared to be the only people in the loop without a doggie (we had to leave our 170 pound swiss mountain dog, Buzz, at home). Loop looked about 2/3's full. After getting set up, we headed over to Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Whispering Canyon. This was my first time at the Lodge, and the buildings were incredible. We ate WAY to much dinner, so we headed back to the RV and bedded down for the night.

More daily reports to come as I write them up.............................

huggypack2112,

Great start so far on your TR.

One thing to know when you check in is that you can ask if there is a site available in your desired loops within your site level - you don't HAVE to simply take what is given to you. You say you wanted a site in 100 or 200 but were given a site in 300. Did you ask, "do you have anything in 100 or 200"? Even if you did Early On-Line Check-In and got your site via text, you can walk into the lobby and see if anything is available in other loops for your to be swapped to. And the earlier in the day you arrive, the better your chances of getting a swap.

So that's advice for your NEXT Fort trip ....

We also love the Wilderness Lodge public spaces (lobby, restaurants, grounds). And we love the original DVC building over there with the train-themed recreation/relaxation rooms on the ground floor. Many a rainy afternoon or cold morning we've spent over there because it's a public space that is very charming to our tastes.

Waiting for some more updates popcorn:: .

Thanks, Bama Ed

PS - two weeks is a good long stay ::yes::

Welcome and thank you for posting the TR.

On Friday (1/22/21) we left our home in Morehead City, NC.
Morehead City?!?

I just spent the month of January in Swansboro trying to beat the cold in St Louis. We were up your way several times. We really liked visiting Beaufort. Took the ferry over to the Rachel Carson Reserve to see the wild horses. Checked out the campers and tiny houses in Bogue and drove up and down Emerald Isle several times taking in the beach and looking at beach houses.

I hope you had a great time at the Fort. We are anxiously awaiting your next installment.

j

...And we love the original DVC building over there with the train-themed recreation/relaxation rooms on the ground floor. Many a rainy afternoon or cold morning we've spent over there because it's a public space that is very charming to our tastes.

Do you have to be a DVC member to do some relaxing there?

Negative. At the WL bus drop area, turn right down the hill on the wide covered sidewalk to the entrance and bear to the right once inside.

Tks. I got a glimpse of it on one of Pete's videos and it looked like a good place to chill for a bit.

Monday (1/25/21) was a Hollywood Studios day. I got up before 7AM and scored my family a RotR boarding pass (#70). Got to the park right at opening and went straight to Galaxy’s Edge. Spent some time just looking around (my wife is a big Star Wars original trilogy fan, but she was impressed with the details). We took lots of pictures, and my son enjoyed interacting with some stormtroppers. We then got in line for Smugglers Run. I loved the themed cue, especially once we got into the Falcon. There were only 3 of us in the cockpit – DS as a pilot and DW and I as gunners). I liked the ride and how immersive it was, however I really didn’t feel like I was doing much as a gunner.

We then went and hit other parts of the park, such as Toy Story Mania twice (DS ALWAYS outscores me), RnRC, Star Tours, etc. We then went and got some lunch at Ronto’s Roasters (after figuring out the on-line ordering process).

After lunch, it was time for Rise of the Resistance. I liked the theming once we got inside. The Rey hologram with BB-8 was cool. Then we got into the first transport vehicle. This was a place where social distancing impact the ride, IMHO. We had to stand near the door, and didn’t have a good angle on the screens. The covid panels they had up also didn’t help. I would have liked to have been able to see more of what was going on in front of us. THEN, we got to the hanger bay – WOW. It was immense. I could have spent hours just looking around. Very impressed with this component.

Then we were moved along to interrogation. My son had a WDW Birthday button on, and one of the CM’s, said “So, its your birthday. How unfortunate that you will be interrogated on such a auspicious day”. My son was beaming at that. The CM’s were also telling one person what a bad spy they were because they were taking pictures.

Then we got to the trackless vehicles. This part of the ride was almost to much to take in at one time (all told, I rode 4 times, and was still picking new things out every time). I loved the AT-AT’s and the cannons. Very, very impressed.

Later in the day, I did had one of my very few bad experiences. About 5PM the line for ToT was about 30 minutes (per the app and the sign at the ride). The cue line started WAY up the hill, but the line kept moving until we got closer to the hotel, then things stalled with no explanation. It took me about one hour 15 minutes to get onto the ride. This was probably the only case in our 10 days at the parks where the actual wait was longer than the estimated wait. All-in-all, I can live with that.

Before we left, we also got Disney Visa special photos taken. There were no actual characters, but they superimposed those later.

We got back to the RV about 7PM. Very tired but happy.

Next Chapter

Tuesday (1/26/21) was Animal Kingdom day. The weather was awesome (sunny and in the 80’s). Got to the park right at 8AM and headed to Pandora. Was on and off FoP and Navi River within 35 minutes total (love the short lines). I have to say that Navi River is not that impressive to me, with the exception of the animatronic. Again, not a bad ride, just not one of my fav's.

After that, we went to Africa and got on the safari ride. Not much movement of the animals today. DW stopped in lots of stores. After awhile, DS and I went to Everest while DW kept shopping. We both rode once (Disco Yeti just not cutting it). Then the lines were so short, DS rode a couple of times more while I waited. We then met the wife and watched the bird show before our lunch reservation at Yak and Yeti. DS had duck, which he said wasn’t bad. I don’t remember what I had, but it wasn’t anything special (not bad, just not memorable).

We then walked over to Dinosaur. Short line, no pre-show, but as I get older, that ride gets a lot rougher. We then walked back to Asia and DS and I did another disco yeti ride (rides were almost walk straight on). More shopping followed before heading back to Flights of Passage. The line moved without stopping until the very last part of the que. My wife and I are past scientists (really), so we like to check out the scientific equipment in these ques. Way to many flashing lights 😊 to be real.

FoP is one of my very favorite rides in the world. This is how you do a motion simulator/screen ride, although I do wish all parks would do away with the 3-D aspect. Last time at WDW (2018), we went to Universal for 2 days. The universal motion simulator rides (to many to list) are all pretty much the same generic thing. Universal could learn a lot from this ride.

We then walked back to Africa so my wife could buy a shirt she had seen earlier, but the store closed as we were walking up to it. I slow walk back to the car followed, and we went back to the Winnebago for dinner.

Oh yea, I really, really miss being able to see Pandora after dark, but the park closes at 5PM, so......................

I hope you are enjoying this report. More to come tomorrow.

Wednesday, 1/27/21. This was a Magic Kingdom day. This is one of the days where the 300 loop was much less desirable than 100 or 200 loops. I didn’t realize how long the walk to the ferry landing was (about ½ mile per my gps tracker). Bama-Ed, next time I will park my RV at the check-in until they give me a 100 loop. MK right at 9AM. Weather was great. We went left and did jungle cruise (I love the back side of water). The boat captain was good. Then we did PotC. My son then changed and rode Splash Mountain (one of his favs, but I am not riding in January). We then did Big Thunder (15 minute wait), then walked to Haunted Mansion. Walked right in, but I do miss the stretch-room pre-show. I have always loved the Mansion, and see something new every time. After some shopping, it was time for lunch. We had reservations at the Plaza. Our waiter was from China and was very friendly. My son got the cheesesteak sandwich, and it was one of the best I have tasted (I did steal some of his sandwich 😊 ). Next it was to space ranger spin (my son won), Carousel of Progress (had that song in my mind all day), then Space Mountain (that ride has changed a lot since I first went in 1978. Then, amazingly, the line for the race track was only 5 minutes, so we rode that (that ride is normally one of the slowest loading rides at Disney).

Next, I have to admit I lost my phone. I left it on a bench when I got up. I quickly realized I had lost it, and went right back. A lady sitting there had found the phone and turned it in to a CM. I walked to the front of the park, and the phone had already made it there (big relief). I was impressed with the efficiency of their lost and found.

Next it was back to Frontier Land for a dole whip (I could live off of dole whips). My son got a couple of pics with Jack Sparrow above him on a stage. We then did pirates again (long, long line, short wait). Then the son wanted to do Space Mountain again, so we did that ride and Space Ranger Spin (I do like that ride).

That was the end of our day (7 dwarfs line was to long). We went back to the ferry to the fort, and ordered a pizza from P&J while we were on the ride, which we picked up on the way back to the RV. Since we were doing epcot the next day, we stayed up a little later before hitting the sack. Oh yeah, we saw wild turkeys during our walk to the ferry.

huggypack2112, so MUCH info here to unpack:

Wednesday, 1/27/21. This was a Magic Kingdom day. This is one of the days where the 300 loop was much less desirable than 100 or 200 loops. I didn’t realize how long the walk to the ferry landing was (about ½ mile per my gps tracker). Bama-Ed, next time I will park my RV at the check-in until they give me a 100 loop. MK right at 9AM. Weather was great.

You can't beat 100 loop if you booked a Preferred site, huggypack2112, for convenience and benefits. 300 loop (where you were) is a favorite for pet owners to be near the dog park and in a Preferred. But 100 (and even 200) is SO convenient it's my choice lately (because we go to the MK at least once for every day we go to the other parks).

But now you know to get there and wait/request-in-advance a site in 100 loop .....

Next it was to space ranger spin (my son won), Carousel of Progress (had that song in my mind all day), then Space Mountain (that ride has changed a lot since I first went in 1978. Then, amazingly, the line for the race track was only 5 minutes, so we rode that (that ride is normally one of the slowest loading rides at Disney).

CoP is proof, huggypack2112, that the best WDW rides don't have to WHOOSH and SWOOSH while being done in 90 seconds (Hello RoR?)

CoP is slow, corny, informative, historical, and iconic all in one slow, air conditioned dark circle. I wouldn't miss it on any trip of mine (and PeopleMover when it's open) and often do multiple rides. The race track is shorter now that they are building Tron but it's also an iconic, original MK ride. My kids recall SLAMMING along the metal band as they tried to steer their way around the loop.

Next it was back to Frontier Land for a dole whip (I could live off of dole whips).

Are you aware of the Dole Whip souvenir bowl available at the Pineapple Lanai at the Polynesian Resort, huggypack2112?

On the ground floor, walk through the center of the main lobby and out the Seven Seas Lagoon side then directly to your left out the back doors:

They sell Dole Whips at the PL at a very quick service window. And the plastic bowl, which is a few dollars upcharge, is worth it IMO. Here is my bowl at home with some grocery store yogurt.

20200124_190919_zpswyombzmr.jpg

It's an affordable, friendly reminder of WDW, the Dole Whip, and the Poly culture while you're at home. Yeah I know they sell the ice milk at WDW/Adventureland but the bowl from the Poly is a souvenir by itself (I actually have two).

Keep the updates coming. popcorn::

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Are you aware of the Dole Whip souvenir bowl available at the Pineapple Lanai at the Polynesian Resort, huggypack2112?
Im going to have to check that out if/when I ever get back there. That would be worth the trip.

The race track is shorter now that they are building Tron but it's also an iconic, original MK ride. My kids recall SLAMMING along the metal band as they tried to steer their way around the loop.
It was also one of the originals from my first trip in '78. I couldn't steer worth a darn then either.

Thursday (1/22) was Epcot day. I first went to epcot right after it opened (Nov 1982). I went to college in Melbourne, FL about 90 miles east of WDW, and we would go to WDW every year after Thanksgiving. It saddened me to see so much of the park closed off by construction walls.

Anyway, DS wanted to do Test Track first thing, so we winded over that way, but the line was already 55 minutes, so we did Mission Space (orange) instead. My wife road the orange side about 13 years ago, and she vowed never to go near the ride again 😊. I really think this is an innovative use of screens and a centrifuge. Feels very real.

Then, with TT still with a long line, we headed over to the other side, and did Nemo, then spent some time looking at the fish tanks (DWS and I are marine biologists). Then we went to do Soarin (only 15 minute wait). Was near the end of a row, so the screens were a little tilted. I love it when the baby polar bear howls at us. Next we went on living with the land (never a line for this one). I really like this ride – it was one of the originals that were running in 1982.

We then did Figment, and got some Disney Visa pictures. We then had to speed over to Great Britain for lunch at the Rose and Crown. We had a table looking out at the lake, with a direct view of one of the harmonious barges. That show better be good, cause in the day light the barge kind of looks ugly. Oh yeah, The fish and chips were great.
After lunch, we continued around the lake, We hit every store. When we got to Italy, DS got an Italian beer (I didn’t like my sip of it). When we got to America, there was a mariachi band playing (mariachi cobra??).

By this time it was getting a little late, and DS wanted to do Test Track, so we sped through the rest of the countries and went to TT. Ride said 40 minutes, but it was much closer to 20-25. We hit Spaceship Earth on the way out (it was also open in 1982, but it was down more than it was up).

Also, when son and I were on TT, my wife saw a man with 2 daughters get into an argument with 2 cast members, saying that he and his daughters didn’t have to wear masks because it was against their religion. He was screaming at the CM’s, and also filming the whole thing with his phone. Someone told my wife they had seen the man earlier and he and daughters were wearing masks then. Pretty clear he was looking for a video to go viral. I hope he got banned.

I hope you are all enjoying the reports – but even if you aren’t, I am enjoying reliving my trip. Thanks for humoring me :thanks:. More later……………………

Was there any live entertainment during your Epcot visit? The Chinese tumblers? The Italian juggler? Voices of Liberty singers in the American Pavilion? The Japanese drummer? The French mime? Mary Poppins? The English road play? Canadian bagpipers? Jammitors? Most of these were let go/not renewed/not replaced. IMO these made World Showcase worth visiting. Any true cultural representation of the country that wasn't just "Mickey in a Kilt" type thing?

Carry on.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter