Another TCD Trip Report!! With Sanjaya, Tom Cruise, Valentine's Day, and More!

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
The TCD gang is back from another adventure at Fort Wilderness.

We camped from 2/12-2/16. My ressies were for a partial hook up. I requested a site in the 1500 loop, as we have never stayed in that loop. When we checked in on Thursday afternoon, we were assigned to site 1507. Very nice site. In my many visits to the Fort, I have only stayed on a partial loop a few times. I always wanted the cable, and to be part of the action. With prices having been raised as much as they have, I see more partial hook-up sites in my future. Do you know that the price difference, before tax, between a partial hook up site and a premium site is $30 an night? Plus tax? So, for a four night stay, it would have cost me $135 more to stay in a premium site! For what? More concrete, and a newer grill and picnic table. I'll take the sand, and older equipment, and pocket the cash, thank you.

Back to the report.

The first thing we did when we got to our site was unhitch the camper, and take off for Hollywood Studios.

Why?

Didn't you know there was going to be an American Idol parade on 2/12?

Neither did I.

Until my DD's told me that morning.

Carrie Underwood! Ryan Seacrest! David Archeletta! In the flesh.

We just had to go.

So we did.

I know the normal parade route at DHS. Shouldn't be too hard to get a good spot an hour before the parade, right?

Well, the parade was supposed to start at 4:30, and we entered the park at 3:30, to find the main street closed. They were laying blue carpet down for the parade!

I asked a castmember what the parade route would be. She said it would just run from the entrance to the tip board. Not the normal parade route. And, one side of the street was blocked off for the press and VIP's. So, we had to find a spot on the one side of the street open to regular slobs -I mean guests. We found out that folks began lining up at 9:30 am. Really? Well, it was about three deep all along the abbreviated parade route. But we did find a nifty spot in an open air area just off one of the gift shops. And, it was covered, so we didn't have to wait in the beating sun.

I should mention the weather. It was (and still is) beautiful here in Florida right now. It was probably in the mid to upper 70's here on this beautiful February afternoon in central Florida. It was probably a bit uncomfortable for those packed along the route waiting in the hot sun.

From our covered vantage point, we could see over the heads of those lining the streets. Should be fine.

Here is a photo of the fellows finishing up with the blue carpet. Only in Disney World!:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009022.jpg

These barriers were set-up across the street from us. The press and dignitaries would show up at the appointed time to watch from here:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009023.jpg

Here is a shot looking up the street a bit- should be able to get some good shots looking this way, too:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009024.jpg

If you look across the street here, you will see a group of folks being led into the restricted area. I'm not sure if these were press people or VIP's:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009027.jpg

OK, so far so good. It looks we should see everything fine from here, and get some decent photos of the "stars."

But then, a bunch of castmembers show up to distribute free balloons to the waiting throngs (to make things look better for the filming, no doubt):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009029.jpg

That is a lot of free balloons!

Uh-oh, there go a few:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009031.jpg

Don't worry, Disney won't lose any money on this. They will just raise the prices at the campground to cover the losses.

Now look at my clear view of the street:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009032.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009036.jpg

I don't know who this photographer was, but he apparently had the best credentials, because he had free reign throughout the parade:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009038.jpg

Just before the parade was about to begin, the Disney characters came out. Here we have one of the chipmunks:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009040.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009045.jpg

You know that is Chip, right? Do you know how to tell?

And then, the parade begins.

Kimberly Locke from one of the past American Idol seasons rides out with the Big Cheese, and acts as the M.C.. Here is the Big Cheese:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009049.jpg

And then, the stars came out!

Big Stars!

Like . . .

Justin Guarini!

Whoot! Whoot!

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009057.jpg

And bigger stars (literally) (sorry-Chris) Like Chris Sligh:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009060.jpg

This is the back of Michael John's head:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009064.jpg

And, this is a good photo of Michael Johns obstructed by one of those danged balloons (I told you so):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009066.jpg

Now, here is a real big star (figuratively speaking-sorry again Chris). David Cook!

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009068.jpg

He gets two photos, since he is a winner (and the balloons cooperated):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009069.jpg

Are we having fun yet?

There is more to come!

Some more parade shots, and then back to the Fort.

Thanks for reading along.

TCD

Fanatastic as always!!!! And here, I was excited to be there for opening day of American Idol experience!!!!! You are too awesome a dad, TCD! :goodvibes

Wait a second you say.

Where is Sanjaya?

Well, you wouldn't expect them to send out the big stars first, would you?

So, here comes Bucky Covington!

Here is my man Bucky being interviewed by Kimberly Locke:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009073.jpg

Kimberly is in the lower right corner. That is Bucky there with his back to us.

Here he is as he rides on down the parade route:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009074.jpg

Here is Ace Young:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009079.jpg

And here, finally, is my main man Sanjaya!:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009086.jpg

And, guess what? Sanjaya noticed that TCD was in the crowd, and he whipped out his camera to take a photo of TCD:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009087.jpg

And, here is Carrie Underwood:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009091.jpg

A close up for you Carrie fans:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009129.jpg

And, here is Carrie hidden behind a balloon (I told you so):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009092.jpg

Here is Jason Castro (nobody told him to wave to both sides of the street, so we just get the back of his head-nice dreads):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009093.jpg

This is Diana DeGarmo:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009096.jpg

As I was waiting for the next idol to be interviewed, I thought I needed another balloon photo, so here you go:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009099.jpg

Dang, there goes another one . . .

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009102.jpg

The person who suggested passing out free balloons is going to be in trouble over this.

Now here comes Josh Gracin:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009104.jpg

I don't know why he gets two photos, but he does:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009105.jpg

And now, Ruben Studdard:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009114.jpg

Bo Bice!:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009121.jpg

Lakisha Jones (the only idol I have no recollection of):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009122.jpg

After this, we had Phil Stacey, and a bunch more.

But, we had been here for about two hours.

And, the DD's were supposed to be meeting a friend over at the MK (which closed at 8).

And, TCD had to get the camper set up before dark.

So, we bailed.

Sorry, no photos of Ryan Seacrest or David Archeletta.

Or Paula.

But, the good news is the we are now heading back to the Fort to begin the real trip report.

And, you got two photos of Sanjaya!

To be continued . . .

TCD

The rest of our Thursday arrival date was consumed with getting the DD's back and forth to meet their friend at the MK, and TCD getting camp set up. I didn't quite get everything set up before night fell, but I was close.

It was a beautiful evening. It cooled off nicely, but I don't think it went below 60 that night.

Friday the 13th dawned as a sunny, cool morning.

Here is a photo of the balloon that Mrs. TCD gave to me as an early Valentine's Day gift:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009127.jpg

A photo of our set-up. Don't miss the vintage Musket Mickey towel:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009128.jpg

As a cost saving measure, I did not rent a golf cart for our first day. We wouldn't have had much time to use it on Thursday, so I hopped on the bike and rode up to the front to pick up the cart. I went a little early, I think it was around 11.

On the way, I saw this interesting set-up on the 1700 loop:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009130.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009131.jpg

That is a tent on top of a 5th wheel. Why? Did somebody sleep up there? I intended to ask this fellow what this was all about, but he took down the tent and left on Saturday, before I got the chance.

On the way up to the front, I came upon an armadillo. In the daylight. Word is that these guys have very poor vision. This one didn't seem to be bothered by me, and just kept on about his business:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009132.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009133.jpg

I picked up my cart without a problem. Early, even. And, where do you think the first place I went was?

To the pool, of course. I had to check on the progress for my Disboard friends.

The place was crawling with workers. Which is a good thing.

I already posted some shots on the thread about the pool construction, but I have some others to post here, and I will also share my comments.

This photo was taken over the fence which has been erected in front of the Snack Bar:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009134.jpg

I am still not sure why this area was dug up. This was previously deck area. In this photo, you can see the workers congregating around something. Closer toward the foreground, you can see that some type of control boxes have been installed in the ground. The grey pipe is electric conduit (I think), not plumbing. The object lying on the saw horses in a tower that was previously standing back toward the building in this photo. It is a tower, with four or so shower heads on it. Looks like they are saving it to reinstall it. Looks like there is a base for it here in the photo.

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009134.jpg

Here are a couple photos from the same area, but looking more toward the pool. You can see the control boxes that I mentioned in the second photo:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009135.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009136.jpg

Here is another shot, more toward the pool still:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009137.jpg

You can see that something is going on back in the far corner. Not sure what.

Here are the workers congregating again:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009138.jpg

And somebody checking things out in the pool:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009139.jpg

I know that you have probably already seen a photo of the tower, but here are some more:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay200900-2.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009140.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009141.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009142.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009143.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009144.jpg

Here are the guys working in the back corner again:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009145.jpg

In case you are wondering about a good spot to watch the action, I recommend the spot in the back of this photo, back by the arcade door. The arcade is still open, and the fence is, for some reason, a bit lower right here by the door. You can see pretty much everything that is going on from there.:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009146.jpg

TCD

I think that guy has taken MIL apartment to new heights. :lmao:

Great report as always. popcorn::

Absolutely Awesome as Usual!:thumbsup2 Since it will be several months more before I get back, I will have to enjoy it through your TR.

Thanks TCD!

popcorn::popcorn:: as usual, can't wait for more!

Another great job, as per your usual. Keep it coming.

2 of my 3 girls have requested that you adopt them....DD3 is still mine she is still hooked on Airel, Cinderella, Belle and the rest of the princesses (thank God)

No Kidding.....TCD must have dozens of "#1 Dad" awards....he endures more horrendous pop star moments than any dad should be subjected to, and does it all with a loving smile.

Just saw the Idol stuff on TV, was looking for you TCD, but I think your head was blocked by a balloon..??

More loop updates. please...!!!

Fanatastic as always!!!! And here, I was excited to be there for opening day of American Idol experience!!!!! You are too awesome a dad, TCD! :goodvibes

So, did you go to the American Idol Experience on Saturday? We considered it, but decided we will wait until things die down a bit. It was probably a madhouse on Saturday.

I'm in, anxiously waiting to hear about 1400 loop.

Well, I just so happen to have some photos of the 1400 loop, which will be coming right up. :thumbsup2

2 of my 3 girls have requested that you adopt them....DD3 is still mine she is still hooked on Airel, Cinderella, Belle and the rest of the princesses (thank God)

Thanks, but no thanks. After I live through my DD's teenage years I am done. We still have to see Taylor Swift at the Florida Strawberry Festival in March, and then again in Jacksonville in May (I think).

No Kidding.....TCD must have dozens of "#1 Dad" awards....he endures more horrendous pop star moments than any dad should be subjected to, and does it all with a loving smile.

You got that right, brother. On this trip, I had to put a halt on the DD's request to stake out hotel lobbies like we had to at the Disney Channel games. I don't think we would have recognized half of the American Idol folks if they weren't in the parade riding on cars.

Great job no one reports the Fort like TCD:thumbsup2

Thank you very much. Please continue to follow this report, I am going to need your expertise when I post some photos of what is going on in the 600 loop.

Just saw the Idol stuff on TV, was looking for you TCD, but I think your head was blocked by a balloon..??

More loop updates. please...!!!

Yes! That was me! Behind the red balloon. You could see it clear as day. Actually, we saw the clip last night on American Idol, too. The camera did pan by the place where we were standing. We had the DVR going, and replayed it, but we couldn't see ourselves on TV. So close!

I have your loop updates coming up.

Stay tuned.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter