Another Stroller Question-Chicco Double or Maclaren Double??

In Luv with Disney

DIS Veteran
OK, I used the Jeep double stroller I just got today and it was HORRIBLE. My little one could fall out of that thing so easily, so I figured I'd check out 2005 Maclaren doubles. I found a couple at albeebaby.com...one for $189 and one for $209. Then I was checking out Chicco double strollers, and they have them for $139.

Can anyone tell me if they have experience with the Chicco doubles? They look similar in style to the Maclarens. How many pounds per seat does it accomodate? How is the recline? How are the storage baskets? Does it move easily? Does it fold easily?

Trying to get the best stroller for my needs, for as little money as possible.

I have two little ones. My DS is 4 1/2 and currently weighs 42 pounds. My DD is 11 months old and weighs almost 22 pounds. I have a single Maclaren Quest Mod that I just ADORE. But I need a double for trips to the mall with the two kids, and of course the bigger picture, for trips to WDW. I want something that is going to last.

Opinions??? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Hi! I just got the Chicco Velocita Twin a few weeks ago after agonizing over doubles for months and months. I have had the Graco Duoglider for 3 years, and while it works great, I wanted something where both seats reclined fully for our Disney trips. All three of my kids still take a great nap in the stroller during the day!

I have DD 5.5 (45 pounds) DD almost 3 (29 pounds) and DS 6 months (18 pounds) It is great to push with all three kids interchanged. I had no problems having children of different weights in the seats. I love the way it steers, it turns on a dime, and the only thing missing is my trusty cupholder, which I have ordered a universal one. The handle height is great (I am 5'3") and basket space is sufficient. It has adjustable leg rests so my 5.5 year olds feet don't drag on the ground also which is nice. It reclines to 5 positions, almost flat and was fine for my newborn to lay in. I think the seat weight limit is 45 pounds, but I never have a problem being over the weight limit in other strollers I have used.

I paid 109.00 shipped at Smart Bargains which I think was a great deal. They give 12% off to new customers and I had free shipping. The cheapest I found it elsewhere was $155. The only drawback is it is a little heavier than other doubles I tried, but with the heavier weight comes the ability to steer easier with two children of different weights. Oh, a bonus is it comes with a double raincover that works great, especially good for DW, right?

I hope you find something that works for you!

Andrea

MacLaren all the way. I say this knowing nothing about the chicco. I bought a MacLaren opus duo (now discontinued) when my twins were 6 months and used it daily till they were 4. It is built like a tank. one part did break (my fault, hit it withy my car), I shipped it back, they fixed it up good as new, fixed a few other minor things I didn't even realize were wrong with it, and shipped it back. I sold it when my boys were 4 and got about 50% of my original investment.

I don't understand why everyone on these boards think they need such expensive strollers, I'm not criticizing, I'm just interested what the difference is....

I have been using a $60 Graco forever that suits all my needs. (OK -I paid $60 back around the second kid for it - so with inflation, it would probably be more now.) It is one of the ultra lightweight reclining things that used to have a baby carrier that snapped in.....I have always loved Graco products and I never hear anyone talk about them here.

find somewhere you can try a Maclaren. See if it works for you.

I absolutely love ours!!!!! Ours is a single though.

I'm wondering if you get a double if it would be as easy to steer. Anyone with expereince? SInce the seats are side by side, and the weight of the 4 year old is much heavier, would it be harder to steer?

The price you mentioned looks great for a double mac!

On another note, your 4 year old may or may not be riding in a stroller much longer. My 4.75 year old only rides in one at DISNEY! I would seriously consider another option (unless you're planning on a 3rd child). Consider buying a great single stroller (again we love our Mac) and renting at the parks. (assuming you'll have two adults to push strollers at the parks.) Just another option, only you know what will work for you.

Let us know what you decide!

To the Graco poster: I've always loved graco too. But after my 3rd child, I bought a Mac and have no regrets for spending twice the money. It steers much better (like 50 times better) and is lighter weight. It takes up less room in my car and is easier to fold, and easier to place in and out of the car and it holds up to 55 pound -- my 7 year old can ride in it (but she's a small 7)!

It's not a matter of thinking I needed an expensive stroller. It's a luxury -- I now wonder why I didn't get it with child number 1. I think when I turn around to re-sell it, I will get a better percentage return than with my Graco. Like cars, it is not an investment, but something I enjoy. It's the difference between a Honda Minivan and a Kia, both do the basic job. The Honda just has more features, a better-built engine, and better re-sell. However, it comes with a higher intitial price tag, you just gotta decide if it's worth it to you! (By the way, I drive a used Nissan, we tend to be thrifty.)

I still love "driving" my Mac! :goodvibes

We love our Maclaren stroller, we've had it since DD was a newborn (she's only 6 mths old now) and for our trip, I do plan on bringing it...but I am looking for the travel cover and can't seem to find it. I know if its even worth it to buy the cover, just so its easier to handle at the airport.

my4kids said:
I don't understand why everyone on these boards think they need such expensive strollers, I'm not criticizing, I'm just interested what the difference is....

I have been using a $60 Graco forever that suits all my needs. (OK -I paid $60 back around the second kid for it - so with inflation, it would probably be more now.) It is one of the ultra lightweight reclining things that used to have a baby carrier that snapped in.....I have always loved Graco products and I never hear anyone talk about them here.

I posted above about the Chicco. Don't get me wrong, I love my Graco too! It's just that with two that still take long naps while there, The front seat does not recline enough on the Graco to be comfy for a nap for my 2.5 year old. Also, I assume your $60 Graco one was a single, and she asked about doubles and my Graco double was $200, even more expensive than my Chicco at $109. It's not the expense, it the comfort. Now I have my Graco and my Chicco and I go back and forth depending on the reasons that I need the stroller for.
But I will not hesitate to buy a Graco again! Just thought I'd give you my reasons!

Andrea

I had a Graco stroller and hated it. It was part of a travel system and it was WAY too big and bulky for me. I need compact, light and portability. That matters A LOT to me! Don't get me wrong, I know others who LOVE Graco. But because of my experience, I don't like them! And their tandem double strollers I have tested out are nearly 40 pounds!!! :crazy: NO THANKS!

I already own a single Maclaren Quest MOd that I just LOVE to death. I need this double for my 11 month old DD AND my 4 1/2 year old son. Even though he is getting too old for the stroller, I DESPERATELY need one when I go to the mall or outlets with him. He is ALL OVER THE PLACE (think possible ADHD). He doesn't listen when I call his name, so I NEED a stroller. I don't want someone taking away my little boy because he has the tendency to just take off without looking behind him. :confused3

My problem is (which is why I am looking more at the higher end doubles) is that he is 42 pounds already. The Jeep one I just had (and had to return) only holds 35 pounds per seat. Most other strollers hold 40 or 45 pounds AT MOST per seat. So obvisouly I need something a little bigger.

I think I am going to have to stick with a Maclaren because of its capability to carry 55 pounds on each side. Plus, who knows...in another 2 years I might go for baby #3. :cloud9:

We have a single Chicco umbrella type stroller, and I'm not sure if the double has different rules, but the single will only hold 15kg (I think that's a little over 30 pounds). We put our 40 lb daughter in it and rolled her around the house, and it definitely felt like it would bend up if we did serious walking with it.

jenny

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter