Another move by Disney negatively impacting guests (re: Caribbean Beach)

I feel horrible for everyone stuck in this situation :sad1: Planning your "perfect" vacation for soooo long and then getting a crumby notice when you're about to book your FPs would be devastating to me, knowing how much weight so many of us put into our beloved trips.

Disney knew, of course they did, but they don't want empty hotel rooms. They play the game of chicken and see who will stay, who will complain until comped and who will pull the plug. This was a pretty fowl game this time though (lol, pun intended) It was waaay too close to end date and all their guests don't deserve this kind of stress.

This kind of business strategy is not for the entertainment industry where there's so many loyalty based customers involved:sad2: They could do better. Admitting there was going to be "not as advertised" accommodations at CBR ahead of time at slightly lower rates would have had a full resort and they could have charged twice as much vendor fees to twice as many food trucks. Or, they could at the very least pulled this same strategy and approved their CMs to offer the customers calling in Disney gift cards in lieu of the accommodations they will no longer have at their resorts.

I don't know, there were just so many different ways to have made this better that would have been financially viable for both the company and the customer, it's a shame it went this way. I hope everyone going can figure it out :)

That was exactly what it reminded me of - and why I contacted them again about this as after that they told me "they learned their lesson and it wouldn't happen again" ... but seems like they are back to rolling out something without thinking of impact to guests and then having to do damage control

For those of us uneducated folk, what was the castle debacle?

Yeah, right. Save for years for a once in a lifetime family vacation. The on site restaurant.... A Roach Coach.
Classy

MG

Save for years for a once in a lifetime family vacation. The on site restaurant.... Shutters?

So much better...

For those of us uneducated folk, what was the castle debacle?

They announced a special event dinner inside CRT to celebrate Magic Kingdom's 45th anniversary - at $499 a head. Problem was this was after people already booked regular dinner there so they all had their ADRs cancelled. A number of us wrote notes, etc. saying how we didn't think that was right

Supposedly they then worked with all the families impacted and were able to get them in to CRT on other nights (or I think one family switched to BOG)

Dining is supposed to be done at the end of 2017. I mean, I get it doesn't impact you, but you are talking around 60 days notice as they approach some of the busiest times. The issue has really come up because there aren't other moderates available as May/June/July are busy times. And keep in mind the 60 day mark is pretty important for people staying on site. As for your statement on if Kona and Ohana were closed, sure, you would be fine. You have a short walk to the Grand Floridian. Or you could go eat at the quick service. It's tough when there aren't other options (other than "Hey, we will have some stuff there, don't worry."). I get why people are upset, especially in certain situations.

Yeah I get it. And yeah the 60 day thing does suck. But most people are getting enough time I think. And again, it's Shutters and a quick service. Are food trucks really that much worse??

Just an update but they did contact my friend and they apologized for not being more helpful when she first contacted them. They said after talking to me they better understood her situation and they have agreed to move her to a different location for no increased cost
So glad to hear, and you must feel good, being able to help in this situation, they're lucky you stepped in.

1. Food trucks are even cheaper then Shutters.

2. There's about 200 other places to eat cheaper than Shulas.

3. Shutters isn't even that cheap.

When resorts are having this many closing they should discount how much it costs to stay there. Would solve everything.

1. Food trucks are even cheaper then Shutters.

2. There's about 200 other places to eat cheaper than Shulas.

3. Shutters isn't even that cheap.
1) Let's all sit around the food truck for our family vacation meal.

2) But ZERO at the resort.

3) Perhaps it's more than just Shutter's?

MG

Sometimes they offer exceptions if your resort's pool is closed I *think*. If not they should.

If the pools at a resort are closed they will usually allow you to hop to a specified other property. I know while the Poly pool was down they were actually taking people over to Blizzard Beach complimentary. That's the Poly though.

When resorts are having this many closing they should discount how much it costs to stay there. Would solve everything.

It wouldn't solve everything for everyone.

Believe it or not a few years ago Disney wouldn't bother notifying you anything was closed. I actually got into it with someone who claimed he was the manager at POR ( I hope he wasn't because he was a rude jerk) who told me they Disney didn't have to notify guests when things were closed. So at least people now do get a heads-up.

Yeah true it wouldn't solve the OP's stuff. I meant in a more general sense.

I believe only DVC members are permitted to pool hop. There are restrictions though.

If the pool is closed, they usually offer a different resort pool for these guests to go to.
Correct but even sometimes DVC members aren't allowed to pool Hop.

If they close this pool that would be another unique situation since this resort is not directly connect to another like other resorts. I believe during the Poly renovations they allowed people to go to GF but that's an easy walk or monorail ride. CBR doesn't have that.

It wouldn't solve everything for everyone.

Believe it or not a few years ago Disney wouldn't bother notifying you anything was closed. I actually got into it with someone who claimed he was the manager at POR ( I hope he wasn't because he was a rude jerk) who told me they Disney didn't have to notify guests when things were closed. So at least people now do get a heads-up.
Believe it or not Disney's policy in this situation is to just send out a letter notifying guests. They don't have to give any sort of compensation or have to move you. We saw from early reports that people were not getting anything when calling. I think Disney noticed that this was going to be a bigger problem that originally thought. Disney thinks the average vacationer won't care this is happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter