Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

That must have been some storm! Hope your place did not suffer any damage. How terrible for those that did receive damage.

P.S. Anyone ready for 2020 to be over? 2021 can't be worse, right?
Calgary's a biiiig city geographically and no, it didn't get near us. But the neighbourhoods it did hit hardest are ones where my company builds (I'm the warranty manager for a homebuilder) and our emergency line has been BLOWING UP with people wanting us to fix the damage under warranty. They are under great duress, understandably and they mostly lose it on us when we must regrettably tell them it's a matter for insurance. Tomorrow is NOT going to be a pleasant day at the office. :scared:

I am ready for 2020 to be in the rear view mirror. On top of virus concerns, job concerns, money concerns, we learned in February that our daughter's marriage is falling apart. Her SoonToBeEx-husband has cheated on her repeatedly over the past 8 years, has said horrible, painful, inexcusable things to her. This is her decision, to not stay in an emotionally, mentally abusive relationship that is devoid of respect and love, but jeez... it's so hard to see her go through this. They've been together such a long time, and we've come to accept him in our hearts as part of our family. It's like there's been a drawn-out terminal illness that we've watched over the past few months, hoping against hope for healing but knowing in our hearts that the writing is on the wall, it's only a matter of "when," not "if." Today they are having their divorce papers notarized... yesterday was their first wedding anniversary. My heart is breaking, watching DD go through all this, but I am amazed at and impressed by her strength, determination, and dignity in how she is going about all this and facing up to her life moving forward. Still- we never wished this for her, we thought they were solid and building their future together, and we are grieving her loss, as well as ours.

I am ready for 2020 to be in the rear view mirror. On top of virus concerns, job concerns, money concerns, we learned in February that our daughter's marriage is falling apart. Her SoonToBeEx-husband has cheated on her repeatedly over the past 8 years, has said horrible, painful, inexcusable things to her. This is her decision, to not stay in an emotionally, mentally abusive relationship that is devoid of respect and love, but jeez... it's so hard to see her go through this. They've been together such a long time, and we've come to accept him in our hearts as part of our family. It's like there's been a drawn-out terminal illness that we've watched over the past few months, hoping against hope for healing but knowing in our hearts that the writing is on the wall, it's only a matter of "when," not "if." Today they are having their divorce papers notarized... yesterday was their first wedding anniversary. My heart is breaking, watching DD go through all this, but I am amazed at and impressed by her strength, determination, and dignity in how she is going about all this and facing up to her life moving forward. Still- we never wished this for her, we thought they were solid and building their future together, and we are grieving her loss, as well as ours.
I admit I did wonder when you made numerous mentions of her in recent months but none of him. I’m so sorry - it truly is a heartbreak and loss for your entire family and you should all be gentle with yourselves in acknowledging it. There’s nothing quite so acutely torturous as having to watch your child in pain. But know that this won’t break her - or you. Brighter days are coming and I wish you all well. :flower3:

Hi everyone. Some might have read on another thread that Mid-Michigan was a the result of severe winds due to Cristobal last week. We were without power for 4 days........longest ever. No generator so we lost all our foods in the fridge and freezer. I'm in the oh well department these days. I did want to shoot our neighbor who had an obscenely loud generator but Mom wouldn't have been happy about that as it was my sister and husband. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Some might have read on another thread that Mid-Michigan was a the result of severe winds due to Cristobal last week. We were without power for 4 days........longest ever. No generator so we lost all our foods in the fridge and freezer. I'm in the oh well department these days. I did want to shoot our neigher who had an obscenely loud generator but Mom wouldn't have been happy about that as it was my sister and husband. :rolleyes1
Aw, man, Kitty, that stinks! We were without power for the first week of November a couple of years ago (6 days) and I know how old it gets. Bright side was it was cold enough on the deck that with some coolers and ice (from the chem department at work, so free) we kept most of our frozen food and all of our fridge food. I also understand the frustration of neighbors having power- the people 2 doors down and then for the rest of the street lost power for 2 hours, we lost it for 6 days- but for the people with the generator being siblings.... Grrr. At least no blood was spilled and your mom is happy, hahaha!

We were without power for 4 days........longest ever.
Yeesh, no power for four days completely sucks, sorry about the food...so much waste! In our present home we've never been without power for more than an hour or two, and it doesn't happen very often. When we lived in our condo we lost power for several days both due to a summertime storm and a winter storm.

I imagine air conditioning wasn't much of an issue in your neck of the woods.

I'm sorry to hear this, leebee. But as you said, you could see it coming. My daughter divorced about 9 years ago, after 5 married. The guy was a abuser, cheater and alcoholic. And an overall loser. It has worked out best for her and the 2 boys.

In your post, you said 8 years, and first anniversary. I'm confused.
Hi everyone. Some might have read on another thread that Mid-Michigan was a the result of severe winds due to Cristobal last week. We were without power for 4 days........longest ever. No generator so we lost all our foods in the fridge and freezer. I'm in the oh well department these days. I did want to shoot our neigher who had an obscenely loud generator but Mom wouldn't have been happy about that as it was my sister and husband. :rolleyes1
UGH, Kitty. Sorry to read this. Longest we have been without power is 6 days. We do have a portable generator, so no spoiled food. But it was hot, middle of July heat wave. Your sister is your neighbor? And she has a generator?

I'm sorry to hear this, leebee. But as you said, you could see it coming. My daughter divorced about 9 years ago, after 5 married. The guy was a abuser, cheater and alcoholic. And an overall loser. It has worked out best for her and the 2 boys.

In your post, you said 8 years, and first anniversary. I'm confused.
UGH, Kitty. Sorry to read this. Longest we have been without power is 6 days. We do have a portable generator, so no spoiled food. But it was hot, middle of July heat wave. Your sister is your neighbor? And she has a generator?

Hi, Dan, sorry for any confusion. They've been a steady, committed couple for 8 years, but only got married in June 2019.

Calgary's a biiiig city geographically and no, it didn't get near us. But the neighbourhoods it did hit hardest are ones where my company builds (I'm the warranty manager for a homebuilder) and our emergency line has been BLOWING UP with people wanting us to fix the damage under warranty. They are under great duress, understandably and they mostly lose it on us when we must regrettably tell them it's a matter for insurance. Tomorrow is NOT going to be a pleasant day at the office. :scared:
I hope the people calling in were level headed and kind to you despite the stress they must be under.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter