Another first time solo cruiser

StacyLovesDisney

Mouseketeer
Hi all! So I did it! I booked my first ever solo cruise. 2nd ever cruise overall! Yes, I am happily married, yes I am driving my family nuts but I just got this revelation to try a solo cruise with DCL of course! I found a VGT rate and I bought the DCL insurance, I'm wondering, do I need outside insurance as well since this whole thing is non-refundable? maybe find one with cancel for no reason included? anyone know how this works? also, this will be hurricane season so anything can happen!

I'm a little nervous; I can't lie. I have gone to the parks by myself and did ok. I just have the time off and figured I'd go for it. Safety is a little of a concern, dining with others maybe a bit awkward but I'm not too worried about it overall. I hope I'm not too shy to come out of my room! ahhhh. I hope this is going to be ok :) thanks for listening. any advice welcome!

Outside insurance would cover transportation and hotel stays before or after the cruise, which DCL insurance covers only when booked through Disney. If the cruise is cancelled due to a hurricane, you probably won't need insurance for the cruise at all, because DCL will give you a refund. If, however, the cruise departure is delayed or the cruise is cut short and you need to change airfare and/or book a hotel room, you'd benefit from insurance.

If you have already paid in full for the cruise, it may be too late to get "cancel for any reason" insurance at a reasonable rate, but you can look into it.

As far as the cruise itself, you should be fine on your own. I have cruised only with my family, but I still spent a lot of time going to activities such as trivia games, concerts, and theater shows by myself. It is likely that you will meet other people who you can join up with at various times. Enjoy!

Solo cruising is AWESOME!!! Just like in the parks, do what you want without worrying about whining/complaining from travel companions. Dining is not that bad - I think they are trying to default to everyone having their own table even if it's "81A" or "81B" with only a couple of inches between them (the table formerly known as "81" in this example divided into 2...but it's not touching the other one).

Just like in the parks, people are far more wrapped up in their vacation to worry about you being solo. Other than to comment how jealous they are!

Atlantis Auqaventure vs. Atlantis Beach Day and Discover. I'm not into waterslides, but do enjoy beach, pool and love a lazy river. Do I need the full Aquaventure for that or will the Beach Day and Discover cover my wish list?

Hi all! So I did it! I booked my first ever solo cruise. 2nd ever cruise overall! Yes, I am happily married, yes I am driving my family nuts but I just got this revelation to try a solo cruise with DCL of course! I found a VGT rate and I bought the DCL insurance, I'm wondering, do I need outside insurance as well since this whole thing is non-refundable? maybe find one with cancel for no reason included? anyone know how this works? also, this will be hurricane season so anything can happen!

I'm a little nervous; I can't lie. I have gone to the parks by myself and did ok. I just have the time off and figured I'd go for it. Safety is a little of a concern, dining with others maybe a bit awkward but I'm not too worried about it overall. I hope I'm not too shy to come out of my room! ahhhh. I hope this is going to be ok :) thanks for listening. any advice welcome!
DCL's insurance has a cancel for any reason benefit that gives you a future cruise credit worth 75% of your cruise cost if you cancel for any reason (that is not otherwise covered by the policy). So you already have CFAR insurance of a sort. The only difference with DCL's is that it is for future cruise credit, not cash back.

I've cruised solo twice since my son (and best travel buddy) developed a chronic illness a year and a half ago. The cruise experience is different solo and I do miss my son when I'm there, but the cruises are still very nice and I already have more booked. I need vacations to keep myself strong, as at home I work full time, attend grad school, and manage my son's care. On a cruise I get to be very self-indulgent, sleep in, no cooking or cleaning, do whatever I want, spend lots of time on the adult decks, etc. It's a great place to be pampered. I do recommend dinner at Palo and/or Remy. I've enjoyed them very much solo. At restaurant meals I read Kindle books on my iPhone. I also bring a couple of hard copy books with me on the cruise for the stateroom and the deck. I go to other activities, like Bingo, the theater shows, and the pool deck, too, but I'm bookish and really do enjoy the time to relax and read without interruption or feeling that I'm being delinquent not working on something. I often put Disney on Demand on to listen to in the background, either while I'm reading or getting ready, etc.

One minor challenge sailing solo is that the Aqua Duck won't allow single riders when the winds are high, and their bar for "high" is a little low imo. I've found the best time to ride the Aqua Duck is when you're in port. At sea, it very often is for double riders only.

Last edited:
It's funny, just the other day I was thinking longingly of how nice it would be to do a solo cruise. I don't foresee being able to do one any time soon with small kids and husband who wouldn't want me to get higher castaway status than him ;) But, the thought of being able to just do what I want, not having to take anyone else's needs into account, in an environment where everyone is friendly and I'm very well taken care of -- sounds like heaven haha.

If it were me, I'd plan to try out the different lounges until I found a bartender I liked, and then make a point of going there regularly so I had somewhere I felt comfortable and someone to chat with when I felt like being social. But, that's just me.

Have an amazing time!

Atlantis Auqaventure vs. Atlantis Beach Day and Discover. I'm not into waterslides, but do enjoy beach, pool and love a lazy river. Do I need the full Aquaventure for that or will the Beach Day and Discover cover my wish list?

Beach Day and Discover will include the aquariums and the beach but will not include any of the pool areas, slides, or lazy river.

Just close your eyes and picture yourself sitting somewhere/anywhere on the ship and having to answer to no one!!! I just booked my second Panama cruise for next year solo!!! Granted I take my DD and family yearly but always have my own room by myself, but to know that I can order room service, sit on the verandah and have my coffee in the morning and read, watch the waves.........its PEACE even if I am solo! I will say that in 2019 when I did my first Panama solo they had me booked for dinner with one other older lady for dinner. Unfortunately we had nothing in common but I did make do. This time I will request to be seated with more than one person at dinner! That way there is a better chance of being able to talk when I want or be silent if I want!

Did a solo cruise last November with another cruise line. First cruise, first solo trip. Chose Virgin because I could eat alone. Loved to be able to do what I want when I want. Cruising alone is a real luxury.

For my birthday next year I want to sail to Alaska and my family is meh... I plan to go solo !

It's been several years since I did Aquaventure, but my recollection is that the river is anything but lazy. I really enjoyed it! It has rapids and places where your tube is accelerated to a fairly quick pace. If you're looking for a relaxing float, not sure that ride meets requirements.

It's been several years since I did Aquaventure, but my recollection is that the river is anything but lazy. I really enjoyed it! It has rapids and places where your tube is accelerated to a fairly quick pace. If you're looking for a relaxing float, not sure that ride meets requirements.
We call it the Not So Lazy River. It does move!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter