Another drowning on Castaway Cay

Very strange first post, repeated 3 times.

Very much so. Joined today to comment - 3 times no less - on a thread that is nearly 18 months old. :rolleyes::confused3:confused:

Totally bizarre!

And they seem to have only come here to find that. VERY weird.

Maybe the poster was till today just a reader, not a member. At the bottom of thread you get suggestions for other threads, some of these are over 10 years old... Or maybe the poster was thinking about the cruise he/she had taken in 2017 and wondered what happened after this tragedy with the family. He googled, came across this thread, found the information conflicting with what he thinks has happened and wanted to give his point of view.

And for 3 times the same post, probably a glitch in the system and the poster clicked on 'post reply' several times.

Last edited:
Maybe the poster was till today just a reader, not a member. At the bottom of thread you get suggestions for other threads, some of these are over 10 years old... Or maybe the poster was thinking about the cruise he/she had taken in 2017 and wondered what happened after this tragedy with the family. He googled, came across this thread, found the information conflicting with what he thinks has happened and wanted to give his point of view.

And for 3 times the same post, probably a glitch in the system and the poster clicked on 'post reply' several times.
The only problem with your theory about posting 3 times is he quotes different people and posts each time, so it was deliberate. That’s the bizarre part to me, not the posting the same day he joined. And now, 2 of those posts are gone. This whole thing is bizarre.

Not to justify the zombie thread revival, but yes, you can absolutely drown in 20 inches of water. I know a surfer who almost did, he was knocked unconscious by his board and sustained a neck injury, and even though the wave washed him almost ashore he couldn't move. My friends dragged him out and saved him. My DH, a very experienced swimmer and diver, also had a shallow water blackout in inches of water. Many lifeguards present, none realized what was happening. Luckily the person swimming next to him noticed. I was in a pool once with 3 other adults and 2 lifeguards when a toddler slipped in silently, the only one who noticed was the manager of the pool. Dad had his back turned fishing for swim goggles. It can be very difficult to notice that someone is in a life-threatening situation. The image we have of a drowning person splashing and screaming for help doesn't always match reality.

I was in a pool once with 3 other adults and 2 lifeguards when a toddler slipped in silently, the only one who noticed was the manager of the pool. Dad had his back turned fishing for swim goggles. It can be very difficult to notice that someone is in a life-threatening situation. The image we have of a drowning person splashing and screaming for help doesn't always match reality.

This happened in my pool too. I was in the pool 5 feet away from the stairs, the boy's mom was on the pool deck. The boy climbed down the stairs and kept going down because he forgot to put his swimmies back on and neither of us noticed, and he was between me and his mom as we were talking to each other. It was the older brother that said something, luckily it was seconds. The main point is that it was silent.

Since it’s an Active thread...
anyone happen to know if there are always lifeguards on these cruiseline private islands? So, for the original post here .. no lifeguard, but was there supposed to be one?

Does anyone know if rccl.. labadee beaches all have lifeguards. I’m bringing kiddos so my curiosity now peaked.
How does one find out.

anyone happen to know if there are always lifeguards on these cruiseline private islands? So, for the original post here .. no lifeguard, but was there supposed to be one?

Does anyone know if rccl.. labadee beaches all have lifeguards. I’m bringing kiddos so my curiosity now peaked.
How does one find out.

I rarely cruise with kids so always handout over on Serenity Bay. I get off the ship early, right after 5K debarks, and go straight to SB. The lifeguard beats me every time. I do not recall a time in the last 5 years or so when they were not present.

How does one find out.

According to RCCL's FAQ, they do have lifeguards on the beach and in the pools at their island.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/...uards-at-every-pool-at-perfect-day-at-cococay

There are definitely lifeguards on Castaway Cay at the family beaches and they have always seemed very attentive to me. If memory serves me right, they have lifeguards on the beach and at least one stationed fairly far out in the water near the snorkeling area. I can't speak to the OP assertion that there was no lifeguard at the adult beach. My understanding is that there is normally one there as well.

I do try to keep in mind that there are thousands of people on the island, a lot of beach, and people can swim pretty far out, so I am sure the reaction time of a lifeguard on an island like CC is not going to be as fast as at e.g. a swimming pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter