Another drowning on Castaway Cay

Some of these comments on here are totally uncalled for imo. Maybe some day the person family will google drowning on castaway cay and this will probably come up. Comments about maybe he was drinking. Maybe he had a heart condition. Maybe he had a desk job and was out of shape. Yes I wrote about people eating way too much I know I do. Didn't think that was bad. Think about what you write the family could read this one day. Hopefully no one will reply to this as I will erase it later. So the family can't see all the bad things we wrote about.
Just erased about people eating way too much.
I don't think anybody wrote anything bad. They are just speculating. There' are plenty of reasons why someone might die on a cruise.

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more often. I used to be a lifeguard and I can tell you that people way underestimate the water and how exertive swimming is, especially in ocean/sea water where you also have ever changing currents involved. I think these days with social media sites like this, word just gets around more.

There are so many factors that can go into something like this, and to be honest, it could happen to any of us at any time. You just never know what strange occurrences you can encounter when in nature like this.

And to the post about inappropriate comments, were they deleted or something? I sure didn't see anything inappropriate.

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more often. I used to be a lifeguard and I can tell you that people way underestimate the water and how exertive swimming is, especially in ocean/sea water where you also have ever changing currents involved. I think these days with social media sites like this, word just gets around more.

There are so many factors that can go into something like this, and to be honest, it could happen to any of us at any time. You just never know what strange occurrences you can encounter when in nature like this.

And to the post about inappropriate comments, were they deleted or something? I sure didn't see anything inappropriate.
No, just speculation. I've been reading this thread since it started, and no one's said anything inappropriate, IMO.

But, apparently, one person felt that speculation, in this case, is inappropriate.

I was also on this cruise. There have been some rumors - nothing confirmed - that it happened on the adult beach where there aren't any lifeguards (?). In any case, by that time in the afternoon the beaches were pretty empty. Very sad for the family.

Last edited:

To add to my previous post, a man was found unconscious on a local beach earlier this morning (it is around 10am Monday morning here) It happens way too frequently. :(

I do think it is very important to be respectful and to try not to judge the victim (or anyone else involved) especially without knowing all of the details. Accidents can happen anytime to anyone. My family learned this first hand. My mother passed away a little over 2 years ago while at an all inclusive in the Dominican. I am sure there were people that speculated as to what happened to her just as I am sure her death affected the other guests and staff. I haven't googled and i doubt I ever will.

That being said, I don't think general speculation is a horrible thing. As long as people are being respectful it can alert others to a danger they may not be aware of.

No, just speculation. I've been reading this thread since it started, and no one's said anything inappropriate, IMO.

But, apparently, one person felt that speculation, in this case, is inappropriate.

Oh ok. They are entitled to their opinion of course, but when something like this happens I think it's important and relevant to us all, as it is a place we go to vacation, so if there is a safety concern that we should pay attention to, we need to know.

It may not necessarily be a drowning. It could have been a heart attack or stroke while at Castaway. Unfortunately these things can happen while on vacation. Which brings us back to the ever popular topic of passports and insurance.

There *is* a lifeguard on SB. At least there was in Feb and I can't imagine them removing one once they established having one there.

It may not necessarily be a drowning. It could have been a heart attack or stroke while at Castaway. Unfortunately these things can happen while on vacation. Which brings us back to the ever popular topic of passports and insurance.
You just never know. My 40 year old seemingly healthy BILwas playing soccer with his son and collapsed. Widow maker...luckily he was 5 minute ambulance ride from a hospital with all the services our US hospitals have to offer. If he would have have been swimming on cc he wouldn't be here.

There *is* a lifeguard on SB. At least there was in Feb and I can't imagine them removing one once they established having one there.

Thanks for confirming. I was surprised when I heard there was not.

There was an accident on CC on our Disney Dream cruise last August. I heard them trying to revive a kid/teen (?) for a long time. It has haunted me since and I wish I knew all of what happened. I believe he passed away, as well as another passenger based on speculation on here at the time. We cruised on the Fantasy this August. It definitely changes my view of CC. I believe the kid last year was hurt on Pelican Plunge so my kids are not at all interested in trying it. Anyone know more about that one?

Keeps happening?? How many drownings has there actually been at CC? There was about a dozen at the Jersey Shore this year alone.

There were two in two days in February, 2016. We were unfortunate enough to witness the golf cart racing by us with a lifeguard astride a man giving CPR on our February cruise. He drowned while snorkeling, was airlifted out and end up dying in Miami later. When you think about the number of people at the Jersey Shore as opposed to at Castaway Cay, those numbers can be pretty significant.

I don't think anybody wrote anything bad. They are just speculating. There' are plenty of reasons why someone might die on a cruise.

No no and no!
I was on this cruise on that beach watched and involved in the whole thing !
Disney covered it up as he was not being watched by any life guards - none were anywhere near that Adult beach- in fact it took ages (20-30 minutes) for them to come from the other beach to assist other passengers trying to save the man. He was in 20 INCHES of water. Did not/could not drown.
He was maybe mid 40’s on his honeymoon his wife was screaming for help for ages, and only passengers were helpful. Then they flew him out and delayed the launch as they considered to take him into the morgue on the ship which I guess is used more often than we’d like to believe. Then the Disney people talked to us and tried to explain it away, but to this day I think of it. They are negligible entirely for taking people to an un-watched beach on an entirely unpopulated private island. My heart bleeds for his new wife and family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter