Annual Reading Challenge 2019

Looking at the goals I think I was confusing on my post. My goal is 60 books. I am at 5 already.

1 The Dream of the Iron Dragon: An Alternate History Viking Epic by Robert Kroese
A space crew from the future goes through a wormhole and ends up in Viking era Scandinavia. The book was funded through a Kickstarter campaign. I thought it was OK. I expected it to be more engaging - more along the lines of Crichton's Timeline. I liked the cultural / language stuff the best and the characters sort of the least.

I am in again this year. Over the past two years, I have read some amazing books because someone else posted about them. Last year my goal was 60 books of "substance". Over the course of the year I read many books that I enjoyed but did not meet that weird criteria. So for 2019 is different. I will read 104 books.

That is only two a week and I think I will not have a problem meeting that goal. I am retired. I live alone. I do not have cable tv. I live directly across the street from the main library. I see something about a book, get on my computer and see if the library has it and ask for it to be reserved for me. I get an email when the book is ready. Then I motor on over in my power wheelchair and get it. Plus, in the winter when snow and/or ice makes using my chair outside problematic, I know how to download books from the library's website to my Kindle.

Thanks for running this thread again in 2019!

Goal is 24, but I totally fell off the book wagon in 2018! I did have a baby, but I miss reading so much!

I already read 1 book in 2019!

Crazy Rich Asians, this was a lot of fun. If your looking for light and more of a fluff read it’s a great pick! I would give it 4 stars, I was looking for light and fluffy so it was a perfect book to kick off my reading again.

1/24!

I'm shooting for 130 this year. I'm also doing a reading challenge I found on Tumblr to push myself to read things I might not otherwise have picked up, because I realized that most of the 121 books I read last year fell into two relatively narrow categories - trashy romance as escapism or political/sociological nonfiction. So this year I'm doing one of those checklist challenges of a bunch of random suggestions to break out of that rut.

I've read two so far, both squarely in my rut. :rotfl:

Sin & Magic by K.F. Breene - a supernatural thriller-romance set in a world where magical creatures not only exist but have "come out" to coexist with normal society, resulting in a culture divided between magical and non-magical communities. It is the sequel to a book I read last year that was good enough to get me hooked, and I thought this one was better than the first. The thriller aspect of the story was more engrossing without all the introductions and set ups inherent to a first title in an original world, and the characters only got more entertaining and sympathetic with the additional developments.

This Fight is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren - I'm a big fan of her, and this one has been on my to-read shelf (literally, on the bookcase next to my sofa) since I picked it up at a used bookstore in Boston on a summer road trip. It is the only one of her books I hadn't already read, so when Warren declared her candidacy for 2020 I finally got around to reading it. It reads very much like a book-length campaign announcement, but in a good way - it lays out her vision for the role of American government, talks a lot about what we've gotten right and wrong both past and present, and lays out a coherent set of policy positions that she believes would improve the current social and political climate for the American middle class.

#1/30: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (5/5). My first book for 2019 was a reread from my childhood. This is a fantasy novel about a girl who learns that when her father reads out loud he can bring the characters out of their books and into the world. Adventure ensues. It's definitely written for a young audience but I thought the story was still engaging, even as an adult.

Okay, I'll bite. Put me in for 25.

Book 1 completed 1/4. Look Alive 25, Janet Evanovich.
Fun, fast read. Series is somewhat formulaic, but still enjoyable. Number 25 had a little bit of the otherworldliness, but not enough to aggravate me.
Amazon "There's nothing like a good deli, and the Red River Deli in Trenton is one of the best. World-famous for its pastrami, cole slaw, and for its disappearing managers. Over the last month, three have vanished from the face of the earth, and the only clue in each case is one shoe that's been left behind. ... "

Put me down for 56 this year. Two finished already.
Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina (that one actually spanned 2018 and 2019)
The Perfect Horse: the daring US Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis

Both books were 3s-the first would be much better for someone who understood ballet moves. The second one had some interesting facts, but read like a textbook. There was virtually no dialogue.

Joining in this year after many years of lurking. I will set my goal at 30. First book read is Southern Lights by Danielle Steel.

Last edited:
So then, really 55.5 ;)

Technically yes. That's like last year, I didn't finish a book because it was so bad, but I couldn't avoid having it "count" as one of my read books. So I just vowed to myself that I'd try to read one more than my goal. So I'll try to go one over this year too.

Thanks for running this thread again in 2019!

Goal is 24, but I totally fell off the book wagon in 2018! I did have a baby, but I miss reading so much!

I already read 1 book in 2019!

Crazy Rich Asians, this was a lot of fun. If your looking for light and more of a fluff read it’s a great pick! I would give it 4 stars, I was looking for light and fluffy so it was a perfect book to kick off my reading again.

1/24!
I have placed a hold on this. It sounds like a fun read!

1/75
A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline

Fictional story of the woman in the Wyeth painting, Christina’s World. A wonderful story.

I'm going to join in this year. My goal is 50. I've already read 1. Now I just need a way to knit and read at the same time to achieve my goal for reading and for another handmade Christmas... (12 pairs of socks, at least 10 dishcloths and maybe a blanket...)

I will say 30. Last year I read 36 books I think. I will try to comment here on the books.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!